Pigeon in my kitchen!

invalidusername

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sent you a PM.

For a start open the birds beak and see if there is any yellow cheese like substance in there and let us know.

Many thanks for the PM, but I have news!  Just been into the kitchen he's walking around, pecking at the kitchen floor.  He got quite excited when the back door opened, and is now standing by the door looking into the garden.  He actually flapped his wings!

Now, I've got the hutch/home sorted, but am now at a loss what to do.  Should I let him out of the house, or keep him in?  Crikey!

Personally, I'd keep him in, if he's not well; he does not need to expend energy keeping warm, you can monitor how much he is eating and note the state of his droppings. Have you tried offering him some seed?

Thanks. Yes I've tried him with seed, but he's not that interested.  He did stick his head in the bowl and moved it around, but not sure he took any.  There was a piece of bread on the floor, and he walked up to that and had a peck, but again, not sure if he ate it.  I've put some sugar in the water  ;)

You might find it easier if you wrap him in a towel burrito style.  Open his beak gently and pop one one bean in at a time. Push it towards the back a bit then close the beak -  about a teaspoon of seeds is plenty.

We really need to find out what is wrong with him and start treatment asap.

You might find it easier if you wrap him in a towel burrito style.  Open his beak gently and pop one one bean in at a time. Push it towards the back a bit then close the beak -  about a teaspoon of seeds is plenty.

We really need to find out what is wrong with him and start treatment asap.

I made a lame attempt at doing this - I think he knew I meant business.  I popped him on some newspaper which had a lot of the tipped over seeds on it, and guess what?  He started pecking at them.  At first I thought he was putting them into his beak, and dropping them out, but I've watched carefully, and he's definitely had some of them.  I put the bowl of water next to him then he gulped a big load down.

This is a definite improvement!  But I'm not getting my hopes up yet  :)

The picture looked to me like very like a content bird settling down for a cold night, beak well tucked into its chest. Shining in fact.

The problem with not eating may well be down to not being able to easily digest the good quality stuff its now being fed; goodness knows what it has been eating in the wild. You may have to wean it onto the 'hard' stuff, gradually. Try feeding the smaller stuff, with your peanuts, these are a high fat, high protein, feed little and often .. And expect weird droppings, only to be expected in any big change of diet, but they will form up.

Wouldn't go panicking and medicating either, survived pretty well without that up to now I think. Teaspoonful of vinegar in drinking water is about enough to be going on with, at least you can't do any harm with that, and the acidity will keep the digestive tract reasonably clean. Get someone to look at it if you aren't sure.

Lastly, watch there's no fumes of any sort in the garage, if that is where the bird is to stay, and that it is well ventilated.

Best wishes with your new pal.  ;D  

The picture looked to me like very like a content bird settling down for a cold night, beak well tucked into its chest. Shining in fact.

The problem with not eating may well be down to not being able to easily digest the good quality stuff its now being fed; goodness knows what it has been eating in the wild. You may have to wean it onto the 'hard' stuff, gradually. Try feeding the smaller stuff, with your peanuts, these are a high fat, high protein, feed little and often .. And expect weird droppings, only to be expected in any big change of diet, but they will form up.

Wouldn't go panicking and medicating either, survived pretty well without that up to now I think. Teaspoonful of vinegar in drinking water is about enough to be going on with, at least you can't do any harm with that, and the acidity will keep the digestive tract reasonably clean. Get someone to look at it if you aren't sure.

Lastly, watch there's no fumes of any sort in the garage, if that is where the bird is to stay, and that it is well ventilated.

Best wishes with your new pal.  ;D  

Another lovely post!  He only spend one night in the garage, and the last two days in my kitchen!  He's nice and warm in there!!!  He'll stay in the kitchen as long as it takes to get him better ;-)

After two years out in the cold, he deserves to be spoilt!! ;-)

No one will argue with that ;D ;D ;D. Now !!!!!! Lovely little hutch also that you brought for him (lucky little bird), but my suggestion would be if possible ??????, to fix it to a wall of some description, about 1 metre of the ground, much easier for you when cleaning it out etc & feeding him, also a wee bit safer for him away from cats etc.

Enjoy.