PROBLEM

chris h

I went in tonight to feed and clean out my birds. And noticed a hen off her eggs so i felt the eggs and they were still warm so i thought nothing to worry about.Then i went down later to check on them and noticed another HEN sitting on them.what should i doo.?? :-/

hes going to have a few bloodlines if he carries on like that ;D ;D ;D

bet the yb,s are pieds ;D ;D ;D,,, good luck :)

i bet they will be very well fed pieds if 2 hens to one cock ;)

Years ago I had 2 hens paired to 1 cock. Both layed eggs so I took 2 of them away. They never got on very well and would bicker when they changed shift for sitting. But they both raced well.

Last year I had a problem with 2 cocks. They were brothers and they had paired together. Later I introduced the hens, but one of them still prefered his brother. Both reared a pair of YBs. Later when they were on widowhood proper the one cock would not let his brother alone. It ended when I lost the homosexual one. The remaining one went on to score for me. He's here now and looking the part.

She has eggs of her own i went in and the cock was sitting on the eggs.and the other pair seem to be trying to make another nest.so i locked them in there box with there eggs.and the hen is back sitting on her own eggs.will the first hen sit back on her eggs,and why did she come off them?

i have had this happen b4 , usually a yearling hen,,,,   into the wrong box, either above or below its own box,, but just lifted it off , and let it fly from my hand directed to its own box,,, if not caught quick , itll make a habit of it,, and the other hen will give in [or fight and break the eggs]

all i would say that she has gone to the wrong box on accident and just thaught she was in her own box, if u put her in her own box she will cary on as normal,  this is what i think has happend and its more realistic than having 1 cock paired to 2 hens especially if she has her own eggs like you said earlier

yup werent one cock 2 hens as has own eggs with another cock just a case of wrong box ;) hen dint defend as not previously reared in box so not a productive nesting site to defend ;) however had two cocks paired to two hens should be great motivation for the hens ;)

i have 2 hens mated with one cock bird at the moment and they have produced 4 chicks, i removed 2 eggs to another pair to save having one of the eggs getting chilled as i found they only managed to cover 3 eggs, of the two that remained with the trio all three birds took it in turns to sit the eggs and feed the young when they hatched. I'm waiting to see what happens with the next round of 4 eggs !!! thats if they dont get a divorce. the only alteration i have made for them was to provide a 12 inch x 9 inch nest box made from a mushroom crate

plus i have a trio of Java doves behaving in the same way they are also sat on 4 eggs......must be something in the water

kev

all i would say that she has gone to the wrong box on accident and just thaught she was in her own box, if u put her in her own box she will cary on as normal,  this is what i think has happend and its more realistic than having 1 cock paired to 2 hens especially if she has her own eggs like you said earlier

I agree. Also explains why the other hen was 'poorly', taken a beating perhaps?

i went in this morning and openned up the cages and the hen was back sitting on her eggs but 5 minutes after opening the cage the cock that is paired to the hen that was sitting on the wrong eggs went in and started fighting with the hen and tryed to get her off her eggs and out the cage.