Amount of corn for hopper feeding!

Guest LBuddle

Guest LBuddle

Hello all,

We are trying to turn our cocks from being fed in there boxies to hopper feeding.

We have 12 cocks in a section and have been puting Half a Bake Bean Tin of corn in the Feeder Twice a day Am & Pm, BUT they seem to be flicking it on the floor. We don't like to keep them tight on food as they are all for Distance racing and will be getting plenty of work in the season.

WHY!!!

Lee.

Guest puresoontjen
hopper feed beans,they wont chuck them about,when racing comes feed tit bits in there boxes but keep the beans down as there main feed,when races come to were you want them to work harder feed in boxes but still keep the beans down.

les

thats about right les  ;)

Guest frank dooman

during the racing i feed 1 ounce per bird twice a day i scrape the floor and feed them on the floor if you prefere just use the hopper then lift it when they move away with that ammount they wont leave any if on the second feed they start to leave some just stand and feed a handfull at a time as you know lee when they come in to for they eat less but thats what we are looking for all the best for 2010

hopper feed beans,they wont chuck them about,when racing comes feed tit bits in there boxes but keep the beans down as there main feed,when races come to were you want them to work harder feed in boxes but still keep the beans down.

les

agree 100%

Guest JonesyBhoy

I think when fanciers refer to hopper feeding there can be some confusion..

If you feed the birds together in a hopper on the floor, then lift once their finished this is referred to as hopper feeding..

But then someone who constantly has food infront of the birds.. whether it be peas or benas or pellets or whatever else.. this is also considered hopper feeding..

???

I would call hopper feeding , leaving hopper full all the time ,  puting feed in trough or hopper then removing  i would not class as hopper feed,

you canny whack full hopper feeding on some occasions  ;)

Guest JonesyBhoy
I would call hopper feeding , leaving hopper full all the time ,  puting feed in trough or hopper then removing  i would not class as hopper feed,

you canny whack full hopper feeding on some occasions  ;)

I think the same.. hopper feeding is having food available at all time..

But some people do refer to hopper feeding as just feeding in hoppers on the floor

Controlled feeding is what all fanciers should try to achieve.

As an average an ounce each bird per day should be the aim, if working hard up the ante, if resting hold back a bit. And always feed the best quality.

A clue is if old birds spread their wings at feed time like young birds when hungry you are not feeding enough.

Observation is the key, hens leaving the nest more than once at feeding time is an indication of not enough.

It depends how many times a day you feed and how the birds react.

Fat pigeons are not tame pigeons looking to meet you as you reach the loft they are the ones that stay on the perches excreting cash.

Mine are ready for their food when fed once or twice a day racing and breeding and when rearing young. No fret marks either.

hopper feeding is leaving it in front of them all the time,they wont get fat or over there racing weight,they will feel good all the time has they balance themselves out,nothink easier than that,no need to spoon feed them to keep there weight down they do it themselves,you can add a littleweight by titbits,alot of top fanciers hopper feed but they wont tell you that.food for thoughts.

les

hopper feeding is leaving it in front of them all the time,they wont get fat or over there racing weight,they will feel good all the time has they balance themselves out,nothink easier than that,no need to spoon feed them to keep there weight down they do it themselves,you can add a littleweight by titbits,alot of top fanciers hopper feed but they wont tell you that.food for thoughts.

les

What food do you hopper feed, to keep the weight down. i thought they would just get fat seeing as though they are not flying out. I never thought they would balance them selves out.