just wondering

PATTY BHOY

With all the loses of last year and the years before what do the members think is the main cause of this,is it telephone masts for mobiles sending of signals, the BOP increase or are some birds just not good enough .Could it be that we as fanciers are giving birds too much rubbish,eg water supplement,medicines and all other preventatives,would be interesting to know everyones thoughts.

Guest frank dooman

IMO pat its two things sick birds and birds not good enough i used to make allowances for all the other things you mention but i now think they two are the main contenders

With all the loses of last year and the years before what do the members think is the main cause of this,is it telephone masts for mobiles sending of signals, the BOP increase or are some birds just not good enough .Could it be that we as fanciers are giving birds too much rubbish,eg water supplement,medicines and all other preventatives,would be interesting to know everyones thoughts.

Too much  rubbish mate. ;) ;D ;D

these losses have got greater and greater each year, [ ;D ;D i remember racing 9 yb,s ,, still got the loft book ;D ;D ;D about 50 years ago,,the yb nat then was cheltenham,, was left with 7 out of 9, i dont think that would be possible nowadays,,,i believe pat,,its a bit of every thing,,

,,i just wonder how many pointers we could post :)

my first pointer would be we are now  breeding birds with less constitution  , due to the molly coddling they get nowadays,, no decent immune system :)

Guest stevie-b

losses are greater cause to many people breeding out the same pigeons year after year lossing there offspring then blaming contolers or this or that load o tish wake up and smell the coffee

Guest frank dooman
losses are greater cause to many people breeding out the same pigeons year after year lossing there offspring then blaming contolers or this or that load o tish wake up and smell the coffee

correct birds not up to it both breeders and y/birds off them and they prob were sick in some way before going in the basket

This weekend people will send fortunes on pigeons in Blackpool. Most of them will be totally unsuited to racing under the conditions that they will be asked to face. Most, will not be up to the job and their offspring will end up as strays.

Then in desperation, the Fanciers will try to compensate by breeding more and more which will lead to overcrowded lofts. The pigeons will suffer and will become ill and will become lost. Then there are the youngsters with YBS which will be sent to the races and will not be able to fly home. Race baskets are usually full of sicked up feed from these birds. The healthy birds eat this sicked up feed and they become ill. Then there will be the ones that have not been trained properly. Usually bred early but left untrained until the last minute and then not trained as they should be. Many do not know how to take a drink and become dehydrated and will be too weak to fly far. Young pigeons need training according to age and not left until they are 6 months old. Then of course, there will be the usual clashing. And this subject would warrent a page of it's own. But there is such poor communication between the liberation authorities that clashing is inevitable. It is a wast of time blaming the people who control the races because the problem goes far deeper than what they can control. So if it is someone to blame you are looking for, you will be hard pressed to find anyone. Maybe one day these things will be addressed but I would not hold your breath. About the only thing you can do, is to make sure you breed healthy pigeons from proven stock and then keep them healthy and train them carefully at the proper time.  

Another reason I believe is the type of pigeon we race these days. They're lighter framed, cocks are becoming to look henny and so on. In our search for speed they've gained in some respects but lost in others, one of which is intelligence.

I for one know for sure what makes them go astray. last four yrs on oil rigs down norfolk waters up to 70 mls offshore i have seen racing birds young & old land on rigs iv been on totaly exhausted due to flying all day out to sea due to high winds during racing.  last two summers there have been gale force winds from south or southwest or west or north west. But other wise no wind i dont see a bird. that not tell you something?

I for one know for sure what makes them go astray. last four yrs on oil rigs down norfolk waters up to 70 mls offshore i have seen racing birds young & old land on rigs iv been on totaly exhausted due to flying all day out to sea due to high winds during racing.  last two summers there have been gale force winds from south or southwest or west or north west. But other wise no wind i dont see a bird. that not tell you something?

so what about the birds lost inland with no wind lol

This weekend people will send fortunes on pigeons in Blackpool. Most of them will be totally unsuited to racing under the conditions that they will be asked to face. Most, will not be up to the job and their offspring will end up as strays.

Then in desperation, the Fanciers will try to compensate by breeding more and more which will lead to overcrowded lofts. The pigeons will suffer and will become ill and will become lost. Then there are the youngsters with YBS which will be sent to the races and will not be able to fly home. Race baskets are usually full of sicked up feed from these birds. The healthy birds eat this sicked up feed and they become ill. Then there will be the ones that have not been trained properly. Usually bred early but left untrained until the last minute and then not trained as they should be. Many do not know how to take a drink and become dehydrated and will be too weak to fly far. Young pigeons need training according to age and not left until they are 6 months old. Then of course, there will be the usual clashing. And this subject would warrent a page of it's own. But there is such poor communication between the liberation authorities that clashing is inevitable. It is a wast of time blaming the people who control the races because the problem goes far deeper than what they can control. So if it is someone to blame you are looking for, you will be hard pressed to find anyone. Maybe one day these things will be addressed but I would not hold your breath. About the only thing you can do, is to make sure you breed healthy pigeons from proven stock and then keep them healthy and train them carefully at the proper time.  

think about what has been said a lot of fanciers are guilty .....................

Last year i have put many birds back to shore on the boat to fly home from lowstoft or yarmouth. many dont even make it back from there. They are so done in once they land on rig its a hostile place for any bird wanting a drink after a long fly the only puddles are full of chems and oil based mud .soon sends them down hill. i have seen them older birds trying to get landwards only to be chased back by gulls its very sad to see it they know they are in wrong place and a drink of posion and trying to fly against 30 plus kns of wind no way!there are hunderds of bird going out to sea each year never to be seen again.