birds of prey

jimmy white

a was watching spring watch this year and they were filming the progress of a pair of breeding chuffs on some cliffs where it was very rare for them to be seen only for one of them to be attacked and fataly injured when examining the dead bird they found it had been attacked by one of their peregrines . ;D ;D ;D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a was watching spring watch this year and they were filming the progress of a pair of breeding chuffs on some cliffs where it was very rare for them to be seen only for one of them to be attacked and fataly injured when examining the dead bird they found it had been attacked by one of their peregrines . ;D ;D ;D

this is quite true harky , ;D i watched the prog.   why dont the rspb release these lovely little birds ;D in various parts of the country instead of the perigrines :-/

bet bill oddie wasnt chuffed  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Not read through all the posts, too many so sorry if it's been said. I had trouble with sparrowhawks around the loft until I noticed the local crows chasing them off. I started feeding the crows bread on the lawn every day and now they hang about in the nearby trees waiting to be fed. This year not had one sparrowhawk attack at the loft. Just a thought, might work for someone else. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello James, There is a company called Dazer UK (Tel: 01733 315888) that have a range of defences against birds of prey, notably Guard 'N' Eyes balloons but I seem to recall they also sell the pigeon wing transfers Regards Ian Peters -

Wildlife Advisor The Lodge,SANDY.Bedfordshire.SG19 2DL

Tel: 01767 693690

Fax: 01767 692365

www.rspb.org.uk

The RSPB is the UK charity working to secure a healthy environment for birds and all wildlife, helping to create a better world for everyone. We depend on the goodwill and financial support of people like you. Click here to join today www.rspb.org.uk/join

(Jimmy White sent me an e-mail)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello James, There is a company called Dazer UK (Tel: 01733 315888) that have a range of defences against birds of prey, notably Guard 'N' Eyes balloons but I seem to recall they also sell the pigeon wing transfers Regards Ian Peters -

Wildlife Advisor The Lodge,SANDY.Bedfordshire.SG19 2DL

Tel: 01767 693690

Fax: 01767 692365

www.rspb.org.uk

The RSPB is the UK charity working to secure a healthy environment for birds and all wildlife, helping to create a better world for everyone. We depend on the goodwill and financial support of people like you. Click here to join today www.rspb.org.uk/join

(Jimmy White sent me an e-mail)

EXCEPT FOR PIGEONS!

MAJORPET

Subject: Re: Eagle owls

THANK YOU KNDLY FOR YOUR ANSWER[ E MAIL]  BUT WOULD THESE EAGLE OWLS BE A THREAT TO OUR OWN PREDETORS SUCH AS DIFFERANT SPECIES OF HAWKS I,E, PERIGRINES, GOS HAWKS SPARROW HAWKS INDEED ANY OF OUR OWN SPECIES, YOURS FAITHFULLY JAMES WHITE,.

P.S AS FAR AS I SEE THEY FEED MAINLY ON RABBITS, WHICH ARE PLENTYFULL, THANK YOU, JAMES

Subject: RE: Eagle owls

Dear Mr White

Thank you for your further email about eagle owls.

Please find attached a link to the Defra website which provides further details of the risk assessment scheme I referred to in my letter.  Four sample risk assessment studies are included and will provide you with an indication of the assessment that a species would be put through, as you will see, impact on native species would be included.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/resprog/findings/non-native-risks/index.htm

The eagle owl is on the list of species that will be assessed later this year and the results of the risk assessment are expected to be published on the Defra website in the Autumn.

Yours sincerely

Christine Rumble

Species Policy Adviser

Species Team

European Wildlife Division

Defra

--------------

Sent to post up by Jimmy

still waiting ,,,,

shu are looking for anybody getting a sparrowhawk strike to get in touch so the can get it out into the local newspapers to coincide with the new book launch

let the people know what is happening not only to our pigeons but our songbirds as well

Linda Brooks, 231A Low Waters Road, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, ML3 7QN. Telephone:01698 286983

shu are looking for anybody getting a sparrowhawk strike to get in touch so the can get it out into the local newspapers to coincide with the new book launch

let the people know what is happening not only to our pigeons but our songbirds as well

Linda Brooks, 231A Low Waters Road, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, ML3 7QN. Telephone:01698 286983

they should be able to pruduce over 500 rings and the letters from the gamekeepers , that picked them up,,,",after the rspb cleaned the site of rings, according to one of the gamekeepers letters ,,all addressed] , i gave them, along with the letters to the last secy.

this is mainly a thankyou to" Jackie" , Jackie is a gamekeepers wife , who tended, fed and watered one of young  westies fav birds which was badly injured, this lady went to the bother of phoning me [a few times ,as she was worried the bird wouldn't survive] but off course being a gamekeepers wife ,new well how to tend to it , the bird was attacked by a hawk and flew straight against the window,,pics will follow,,[shocking pics] i released 20 birds at ,between stow and Galashiels , 13 home 3 injured [one had to be put down due to breaking both legs and a  badly half eaten back, by a  hawk,no way could i let this suffer,in the condition it was in [these birds had flown this every day for a week beating me home]

Jackie was telling me of the trouble they have with hawks,with the young pheasants ,grouse etc , in fact one flew straight in her chicken coup and carried away a young chick, she was telling me also that her husband [gamekeeper ] cannot do a thing [AS DECENT LAW ABIDING CITIZENS], and has repeatedly tried to explain his case to the rspb, and to be honest has just had ridiculous answers from them,[as we have] if he does anything about the situation, he risks loosing his house [where he has a lovely young family] his job, and would then have a criminal record ,she added most of the hawks are ringed ,either released by the rspb or rung in the nest , i find this utterly shocking , that the rspb think more of their precious hawks, than of a beautifull ,decent hard working family [who are nature lovers themselves] in a nut shell THEY PUT HAWKS BEFORE HUMANS,,,THIS CANNOT BE RIGHT,UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

however i wish to thank jackie and family for so kindly tending to my pigeon in the kindest manner possible ,far kinder than the rspb who are killing off all the songbirds ,causing gamekeepers to become redundant [no grouse no work]and ending the pigeon sport  by repeatedly letting these birds multiply to such an extent , that its effecting all,,,,,a great big thank you to jackie and family  

this is mainly a thankyou to" Jackie" , Jackie is a gamekeepers wife , who tended, fed and watered one of young  westies fav birds which was badly injured, this lady went to the bother of phoning me [a few times ,as she was worried the bird wouldn't survive] but off course being a gamekeepers wife ,new well how to tend to it , the bird was attacked by a hawk and flew straight against the window,,pics will follow,,[shocking pics] i released 20 birds at ,between stow and Galashiels , 13 home 3 injured [one had to be put down due to breaking both legs and a  badly half eaten back, by a  hawk,no way could i let this suffer,in the condition it was in [these birds had flown this every day for a week beating me home]

Jackie was telling me of the trouble they have with hawks,with the young pheasants ,grouse etc , in fact one flew straight in her chicken coup and carried away a young chick, she was telling me also that her husband [gamekeeper ] cannot do a thing [AS DECENT LAW ABIDING CITIZENS], and has repeatedly tried to explain his case to the rspb, and to be honest has just had ridiculous answers from them,[as we have] if he does anything about the situation, he risks loosing his house [where he has a lovely young family] his job, and would then have a criminal record ,she added most of the hawks are ringed ,either released by the rspb or rung in the nest , i find this utterly shocking , that the rspb think more of their precious hawks, than of a beautifull ,decent hard working family [who are nature lovers themselves] in a nut shell THEY PUT HAWKS BEFORE HUMANS,,,THIS CANNOT BE RIGHT,UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

however i wish to thank jackie and family for so kindly tending to my pigeon in the kindest manner possible ,far kinder than the rspb who are killing off all the songbirds ,causing gamekeepers to become redundant [no grouse no work]and ending the pigeon sport  by repeatedly letting these birds multiply to such an extent , that its effecting all,,,,,a great big thank you to jackie and family  

SPOT ON MATE-ITS A CRIME AGAINST THE MAJORITY!!!!!!!!

MAJORPET