Natural vs Widowhood

Guest youngzimmy

Hi Wiley,

I feed them once in the morning and once in the evening and the weekend I starved them for a day and a half and let them out in the evening but they sat on the roof for a good two and a half hours before coming down when the sun went down. I feed them Van Robuys (Sp.) young bird mixture and I give them a half an ounce in the morning and a half an ounce in the evening.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all 'Ok' you was overfeeding to early in the morning, they only needed a light feed in morning, 1/4 of an ounce, then an ounce in the evening. Change your feeding to once per day, only go to twice a day, a week before racing starts. When racing starts feed 1/4 of an ounce in morning then ounce in evening. At moment now my youngsters moults cleaned up im only feeding them an ounce per day, there flying with vigour and trapping on my call.

I wish I could get my birds in when I wanted them in. No matter how long I starve them they will stay out all day staring at me from the roof. Think I need a catapult to knock them out.

Ok i had this problem last year my first year in pigeons .Turned out that as soon as my back was turned cats where unsettling the birds .I came home early from work on nights and there was a couple of cats on the shed roof and one in front of the shed trying to get into it.May pay you to stay up late one night with lights out and peek at the shed without being seen to see if there are any predators disturbing the birds.

Hi Ronnie,

I have thought of that but the way my loft is built and the wire mesh in front I dont think that cats or any other predator can come close to the birds, or at least the pigeons wont see them. The other things is that it is only two birds I am having this problem with. I have a few other squeakers with them but they seem to come straight back into the loft. But the two 'bleep' 'bleeping' bird wont come down until the sun has almost set.

okitsme try giving them some hemp when they're on the shed roof(only a small handful between them) and then when they land on the house roof throw something at them(i use old eggs that i've taken from the shed cause they disintergrate on contact leaving no evidence)keep frightening em off rooftops and treat em on loft roof they'll soon get it , i'm surrounded by houses and my birds never goto the roof but a fancier across the road his birds are always on the roof and that's where they go on saturdays (he's had em for years and i started yb's04)

Guest shadow
Hi Ronnie,

I have thought of that but the way my loft is built and the wire mesh in front I dont think that cats or any other predator can come close to the birds, or at least the pigeons wont see them. The other things is that it is only two birds I am having this problem with. I have a few other squeakers with them but they seem to come straight back into the loft. But the two 'bleep' 'bleeping' bird wont come down until the sun has almost set.

not worth bothering with get rid of them they will always let you down :)

• 2 weeks later...
is flying natural against widowhood a wast of time or are there tips and tricks involved HELP!

i think its up to the fancier to find out what suits him best [time wise ,workwise,trainingwise etc] w, hood cocks are easier to manage and take less training , let out 1 hour am and 1 hour pm , whereas natural birds some are sitting and even feeding young [which takes a lot out of them] after w,hood cocks have been celibate [like me  ;D] for a while ,their natural instinct is to range[i dont,,,,,now ;D] and have more action in them therefore keeping fitter is easier ,whereas natural birds take a lot more work ,but getting a natural system right ,they can certainly win races ,nowadays their getting w,hood cocks out of 5 600 miles [if done right]obviosly you wouldnt expect a bird to fly all the races and still win at that distance [again its fuel in the tank], but when you get the real gruelers out of the distance a natural bird set up for the job will take some beating my opinion would be that widowerhood is best up to 350 miles then a natural bird set up for the distance , but as with pigeons theres allways exception to the rule ,some cocks will just not fly good on w hood but fly good natural and vica versa, and off course excactly the same as hens , my advise would be to go to a top w hood flier in your area and watch look and listen and the same goes for natural :)

Young Jimmy, many naturl are beating the widowerhood on the shorter races now, and natural dominats the longer, hard and more prestigous races.

So get the system that suits you, observe and soon you too will be holding your own.

Sure it is hard  for the same system to win evry week, as you prepare for the 7 weeks you want your birds to peak condition wise. To hold form longer is hard and an art that will take patience and time to master. That is why many have different set ups and 2/3 teams. Our mere plebes have to be content to strive to win the races we are more inteested in. But 12 pairs of naturals would suffice to be there abouts most weeks.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted peoples opinions if i should fly natural or widowhood,the trouble is i work for myself and am never in at the same time everyday to give birds regular routine which people say widowhood pigeons need.

Next year 2008 will be my first year flying old birds and i only have 8 cocks and 5 hens,can't make my mind up if it would be better to race all the loft on natural or just 8 cocks on widowhood.

I know i could fly roundabout but i havn't time on a regular basis to let cocks and hens out at same time everyday.

Am i wasting my time racing a small team from my back garden on natural when competing against lads in club with 40 birds on widowhood.Would i be better just trying to get my 8 cocks fit and healthy and flying widowhood.

I know it also depends on what distance i am trying to fly,my club race program starts at 112 miles down to 500.

Regards Mark.

Just wanted peoples opinions if i should fly natural or widowhood,the trouble is i work for myself and am never in at the same time everyday to give birds regular routine which people say widowhood pigeons need.

Next year 2008 will be my first year flying old birds and i only have 8 cocks and 5 hens,can't make my mind up if it would be better to race all the loft on natural or just 8 cocks on widowhood.

I know i could fly roundabout but i havn't time on a regular basis to let cocks and hens out at same time everyday.

Am i wasting my time racing a small team from my back garden on natural when competing against lads in club with 40 birds on widowhood.Would i be better just trying to get my 8 cocks fit and healthy and flying widowhood.

I know it also depends on what distance i am trying to fly,my club race program starts at 112 miles down to 500.

Regards Mark.

Mark,

8 cocks 5 hens sounds like pims a clock to me also seems like its an indeal sitatuon and wish i was in your seat. Personally I would only be racing the 8 cocks, paired to 4 hens. 2 cocks to one hen, think of the jealousy you can create. It does help to get birds in a strict routine but there are many timed chicken feeders on the market that will help you on your task. However your cocks ideally would should be let out twice per day, but it isnt the be all and end all, one of my best years was when the cocks were only let out once per day but they flew with plenty of vigour and vitality. There are many road that lead to rome, with natural birds they need to be trained, widowhood flyers do not train after the first race, they do all there training around the home.theres also no need for the annoying stage of stopping your hens from going eggy for a race ect. widowhood is ideal situation for the working man, if ya can do it. read up on it as much as you can an im sure you'll be able to work your way round it. Best of luck

Ryan

Hi Ronnie,

I know what I would do with the two sitting out move them on as they will have them all sitting out they are not worth keeping will do the same when racing

Seems to be the story that has gathered pace over the last few years ... 6 years ago I was atounded when I had a game keeper friend  tell me  fetch a injured bird. Was a cracker with wing Damage from up north. The Fancier told me that up there there were being roasted by the natural system  flyers even on the short so called sprints. Our fed is dominated mostly by Natural, and as for distance, wel just look at the Nationals, especially the Hens! N4ed one look further?

Which Fed is this Roland ?

I know a natural flyer that wins club,fed and international much too the irritation of the widowhood boys flying an average of 3 birds /race and won the fed channel averages flying just 5 birds in all to 6 channel races.

Its down to the individual whatever suits the flyer ,birds and time and lets not forget enjoyment im a natural flyer ,very natural it suits me for long distance and my birds suit the system little if any YB racing then to 180mls as yearlings 400mls as 2 yr olds then 610mls at 3and then 689 after that to 6,7 or 8 yrs only 3 or 4 racea a year per bird,

The satisfaction i get from clocking from 500 mls plus cannot be described and the trust and bond that develops with the bird is the hobby for me .

Hi Mike, which the one I fly in or the one that  the bird came from! I fly the Northants fed.

The fed  that the bird came from was Durham way I believe if memory serves me correct. But that post was some time ago... or moreso the happen was  a good while back now.

I wasn't ignoring your post, just never saw it.

Had the P.c down Workined every night  - and day, and yesterday was doing my tax returns, which is what I should be doing now.

When I add the cross references up there is a difference of £80! I be Buggered if I can spot it! Too close to the trees so left it till tonight.

If not found will called up a mete, usually works.

Sorry I can't be more positive Mick, but it was the case I recall crystal clear, and not the location.

I think all newcomers to the sport shouldfly natural for the first couple of seasons then try other variations as they learn about the birds to many try widohood and fail and get disolusioned and leave

I think all newcomers to the sport shouldfly natural for the first couple of seasons then try other variations as they learn about the birds to many try widohood and fail and get disolusioned and leave

Agree 100%. Learn your crsft and do as you will ... you will anyway regardless who says what. Just enjoy, learn to accept and then set your stool out.

Good Luck.