best pigeons in uk

Guest Silverwings

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOW CAN YOU SAY WHICH HAVE BEEN THE BEST BIRDS IN THE U.K.IN TH LAST 30 YEARS,

IT DEPENDS ON MANY THINGS SUCH AS DISTANCE, E.T.C.THE STAF.VAN.REETS ARE VERY GOOD FOR SHORT TO MIDDLE DISTANCE RACING BUT I CERTAINLY WOULDN.T PUT THEM IN THE SAME CLASS AS THE KIRKPATRICKS OR JAN ARDENS WHEN IT COMES TO LONG DISTANCE RACING.

Guest speckled

horses for courses ah,it the same in pigeons,depending on the distance, & ya system,i race sv reets,but,  like,pigeon man,have some other birds for the longer races. Speckled.

personally i would prefer pigeons bred from winners i.e if i wanted sprint birds i would want pigeons bred from generations of sprint winners, and the same goes for distance birds,  no matter what the so called" breed "is. i think we can be fooled a bit by adverts and breeds and sales,,,,,,,,i often wonder what breed the bucshearts are??/

Jimmy, was George Busschart not quoted as saying 'if the pigeons are in my loft, they're Busscharts'. Also read another piece that the modern Busschart was the equivalent to the 'old' Kirkpatrick. Personally, I'd rather have a modern winning line of Kirkpatricks, they've peppered many years with class performances.

I personally believe in horses for courses, so to speak.

Here in the USA birds that say fly well in the South do not fly well on other courses. Or well on the East Coast don't do as good on the West Coast.

My personal preferences are Van Reets for races up to 300 Miles, Janssens for the Middle distance and the old families for the longer distances.  There not as many long races over here as in the UK, the American Flyers are more in tune with the 300 mile young bird futurity races which is very sad as fewer and fewer clubs fly long.

We have had a great deal of luck with Bekaerts and birds bred from our one Desmett Matthys Cock and our Barker Cock.

Guest Silverwings

yep ,  i agree with you all just hope this pol gives a bit of interest, staf van reet pigeons are now doing the distance round here ? i have a staf van reet cock 87 belg 6723401 i beleive he was the first mealy direct from staf in the UK , son of great vale of 81 still going at eighteen ? know  to over 200 first prize winners at all distances up to 500 miles children and g children ,all over the u.k in all types of weather ........ the weathe the stafs are winning in today is more unpredictable ,wet and adverse than the good old days ? ........has it changed in the u.s,a ? if it has i bet the stafs are winning over there ?

Hello Silverwings,

Yep the Staf's are winning all over the place here.One thing that a lot of people don't grasp is that SVR'S are extremely determined birds even in bad weather.  Three years ago we won a concourse (combine) at 790 ypm with a Van Reet Hen. Kids of our birds have won at upto 500 miles and a mealey son of one our VanReets flew in the South West Open this year and won the State of Georgia by an hour flying 502 miles and was 9th open flying against birds from 7 Southern States Another thing I have noticed about the SVR'S they come home on a smash race.  We ha a horrible smash at 200 in young birds and I only had 9 birds from 39 sent to two liberations home on the day, 7 were Van Reets.

all our birds are bred down from Dean Pallets birds, a guy in Boston bought most of his stock when he sold out.  They are all very muscular big birds with the exception of Champion Leyton Express who is very tiny and so are his children, they are proving fantastic over the longer distances

i think the best breed of pigeons  are the ones that are winning for you and no one else, there is no such pure strain of pigeon as most people cross birds in some kind of form,at the momment iv got about 70% peter van den eijden the rest are made up of kirkpatricks, bussartts,van geels catrysse heinz 57 you could say

Guest Silverwings

wings 04 , having watched the progress of the buschearts and witnessed first hand the awesome power of turner bros dark uns , competing against them at club and fed level i agree with what you say ,i have seen their top sprint pigeons win 80 miles at the start and the same bird win the 500 mile event at the back end ?as you know buscheart had birds from all the over belgium cattryse, nachtergales etc basicly buscheart refined their  qualities to win the shorter events in the u k , and over the years the uk fancier evolved them to go that extra mile ,the fact they were derived from distance pigeons in the first place , made it easy for them ? the same thing will happen to the staffs as is the case with most of the pigeons imported over here, we modify them to suit our needs ? and in another few years some other un modified speed pigeons will be over here and the cycle starts all over again ? when the  the uk fancier finally  learns to define his current pigeons ie: shortrer forearms , slower breathing rythms, flight ventilation ,and so on  only then will the massive influx of van this and that stop ...............anybody want to have a thread on the finer detail between sprinters and  distance birds ? .....we can learn from each other !

surely if there were better breeds, than others, it would show up in all the futirity races around the world, as there are many breeds racing to the same loft, and as far as i can see ,theres no one particular breed that out shines any of the rest, maybe im wrong,,,,i would preffer a pigeon that has winning lines flying in the terrain, it has to fly in. ie up in scotland,i would rather have birds bred off s,n.f,c winners, than a bird from holland flying the same distance,and as bruno says the old kirkpatricks are as good as any,providing their bred direct off winning distance lines  ,and as far as sprint races, i would not be afraid to cross these sprint breeds to find out what suited me.

i remember asking  famous fancier, what the best breed is,,,his answer was, for selling ,,a pure breed,,for racing a cross, and really if you go far enough back , their all crosses

As most top breeders pair best to best and loan each other pigeons. They create a family of birds which have been blended from several strains the basically they are cross breds and their are very few old pure original famlies left. :)

quality not quantity ;)

Cross breds are what started a particular strain in the first place! Surely Jansen, Busheart, Van this and Van that are all started from them cross breeding old strains and starting there own. I have mainly Bushearts and van reets, but I have also blended other birds into them, so are they not my own strain now??

a wee story that youll find hard to beleiveBill  pentland [sadly passed away]says to me Ive a chalenge for you..,transfer, and break this jet black cock, and be able to send it to sartilly 505 miles in21 DAYS, this bird raced for him on widowhood, that particular year, had 5 races,last one being dorchestor 350 miles, bill stayed about 6 miles from me,he sent it this race paired and on eggs,nesting in bottom right hand box, I took the pair the nest pan and the nesting materials, to the same box in my loft, i.e bottom left.i put the pair, eggs nestpan etc in with a board in front of the box, the pair took to the eggs, i moved this board further away , making sure they were still sitting, allthough a bit dubious, i managed to take the board away alltogether, they were still sitting. i then had the cock locked in the sputnick when he should have been sitting, then let him in, i then let him out , and he went back to Bills,to an emty section with the boxes boarded up, i brought him back and repeated this a few times , next day let him out, bill locked him out and chased him , and to my surprise he returned to me, all this in about 5 days after flying freely for about a week ,i gave him a toss from freuchie [north] and again to my surprise he dropped to me, bill was amazed [so was i]i then sent him to sartilly, being less than 21 days in my loft and to our utter amazement ,this bird was 101st national, would have actualy been 89th as they had my old distances. this is hard to beleive but i can assure you it is perfectly true.. this true story struck a cord with roses post above about birds being called after their owners surname, this was a jet black cock ,and would have been called a van white  .p.s. in remembrance to bill pentland ,bill held the record from barcelona, 1000 miles for some time, up here.

I was at a sale on saturday and there was a Van Reet cock that has bred any amount of winners, and is and outstanding looking bird (ive got a YB of it) and it was sold for £4600.

It may have made 34,700 but that does not mean it will breed all winners good pigeons are hard to find. It the same with breeding any type of bird or animal. Costly stock will breed as many duffers as good one's :)