LESS IS MORE?

Guest spin cycle

Guest spin cycle

who amongst pb members has the smallest yb team. i have twenty ,with another on an 07 ring and 4 inthe nest. i hope to start training next week...send 6-12 a week to most races....have something for dunbar in september... and 6 yearling cocks for next year. am i being to optimistic? and if so how long til i'm 'wiped out? (ok)

Guest spin cycle
My yb team for this year was 6. Though now down to 4 as 2 are in basket injured, dont know if hawk has been after them. 1 damaged keel other damaged wing.

sorry to hear that..i don't think anyones going to be lower than 6..but are you planning to race the 4?

Guest spin cycle
I have ten (at the moment ) been to 10 miles ok. Got to first race last year with 14 and raced to coast and finished with 12. Hope I can do same this year.

good luck to you.mine had their first today(5 miles) all back ok (ok)

at what age (weeks) should young birds be able to cope with a 5 mile and 10 mile training session

I seem to be having problems with 9 week old birds at 5 miles, flying in groups of 6 birds

kev

I wouldn't train at 9 weeks although I know it can be done. The best way to judge is if the birds have been ranging freely for about an hour.  

Guest spin cycle
at what age (weeks) should young birds be able to cope with a 5 mile and 10 mile training session

I seem to be having problems with 9 week old birds at 5 miles, flying in groups of 6 birds

kev

ther are probably more experienced fanciers for this one...but for me its stages. stage 1) settle ybs into loft with accsess to trap surrounded by a settling cage. 2) when group is settled and used to going in and out of trap, select a day and open door on settling cage so they can go in/out at will. 3) when birds are flying as a bunch take away settling cage. 4) fly open hole for a part of the day ( eg open trap after am ob exersize and close at lunch) watch for birds to 'disappear' soon after release (roaming) for at least 1/2 hour ,once they've been roaming for at least a week then. 5) gather as many good luck charms as you can and start training. each stage could take 10-14 days. my team are all 4 monthes old at least but i'm sure at 9 weeks (done right) its possible

• 1 month later...
Guest milkyal

Spin Cycle whose your federation. We while be at DUNBAR in september, but if we get a race like last saturday (Peterbor Fed) numbers will be very low. I brought in 40 youngsters lost 22 (training etc)down to 18  sent 17 now down to 15.