Training Question !

pearse1888

that depends on how much loft flying the bird's are doing , are they open hole , or flowen at given time's , if flowen at set time's , i would like at least 1hr for 2 week's before first 3 tosse's at 20ml then 3 at 30ml , 3 at 40ml , they wont go in the basket untill there at it at home , as i use the open hole the bird's are not that hard to condition 1 or 2 at 20ml , 3 at 30ml but they must be at it at home , no good trying to train bird's that are not reasonably fit , some bird's need lot's of road work , some need little work , the trick is finding what suit's the type of pigeon's you have

that depends on how much loft flying the bird's are doing , are they open hole , or flowen at given time's , if flowen at set time's , i would like at least 1hr for 2 week's before first 3 tosse's at 20ml then 3 at 30ml , 3 at 40ml , they wont go in the basket untill there at it at home , as i use the open hole the bird's are not that hard to condition 1 or 2 at 20ml , 3 at 30ml but they must be at it at home , no good trying to train bird's that are not reasonably fit , some bird's need lot's of road work , some need little work , the trick is finding what suit's the type of pigeon's you have

;D ;D ;D Horses for courses & I may be wrong  ;) ;) ;) but as long as your birds are working at home (Which they should be) Your not going to teach an old pigeon etc anything, tossing him/her 100 mile up the track, than if you tossed them 10 to 15 miles in my view  ;) ;) ;).

PS Just think of the petrol you could save & the time  ::) ::) ::).

Enjoy.

Guest spin cycle

as a novice i lost some birds by road training before they were fit. this year i've got them fit first and then trained. this is really for my own peace of mind that they are homing.4 tosses 10-15 miles. i am a short flyer which helps (there has to be some compensation for overfly). fuel is now to expensive for strains that need constant basket work...for me at least. i've now got to see if i can develop a competitive strain on these lines (part of the fun).

Sometimes its actually detrimental to train Old birds,if they have race experience,mine are  worked at home,when this is done properly they get one "wake up" toss at 18 mile then first race at 81 mile, normally no problems,youngsters totally different ball game. Just my opinion.    

alright boys and girls was just wondering how far up the road would you train your old birds how many miles do you think is enough for them to be ready for racing ?

a massive question,,, depending on a lot of circumstances , old birds getting hammered in tossing in bad weather actualy slow up and just home,, birds being tossed will fly less at home , but birds need to be fit and fresh to win races so i think this is what we need to strive for [fitness and freshness] with old birds i dont think its the miles you toss them its the time their flying that makes them fit , a bird flying 60 miles in cold east winds will take more out of itself than the same bird flying 150 miles with the temperature up and the wind warmer , so for me i would rather see the birds excercising well at home untill the warmer weather, then with a couple of 20 mile tosses , they should find it easy to do the 150 miles , then still fly well at home , really my thoughts are that the o,b racing is far too early [yb,s different alltogether , your training their minds as well as making them fit]

took mine 2 x 20 then 1 x 60 into a 10 mph headwind then on to 100 mile race we saw how that turned out

Yes !!!!!!! we know your results etc  ;) ;) ;) But there is 200 + miles of petrol  ;D ;D ;D & also your time. I just hope now ????????? your winnings paid for it all  :P :P :P.

Enjoy.

Hi all,   I agree with Jimmy White to a certain extent, better not to train at all  than to train in bad weather.

With regard to distance, you have to ask, why are you training them, I would say that for club racing you need not go far at all, in fact a lot of sprint flyers do not train after the first race.

If you are flying in the national for instance, the birds need to be fit, but they also need to have the confidence to break and go their own way and not follow the drag, so more distance and single up will help them.

Just my opinion

All the best Mick    

Hi all,   I agree with Jimmy White to a certain extent, better not to train at all  than to train in bad weather.

With regard to distance, you have to ask, why are you training them, I would say that for club racing you need not go far at all, in fact a lot of sprint flyers do not train after the first race.

If you are flying in the national for instance, the birds need to be fit, but they also need to have the confidence to break and go their own way and not follow the drag, so more distance and single up will help them.

Just my opinion

All the best Mick    

Totally agree with your post Mick - our cocks have had 6 tosses at no more that 12 Miles, they are exercising well and just needed to remove cobwebs after the winter - after first race the sprinters won't train again, but we will try and get a few 'distance' chucks into the water birds.

Guest Paulo

I wait until mine are flying well at home for at least 50 minutes with no flagging and then take them 12 for a few then up to 25 for a few and build them up to three chucks a week and a hours exercise each day t hours exercise if they aren't flying.

Try and cchuck them in threes as well for a few tosses before the race.

Races are won in the winter so try and keep the birds reasonably fit by letting them out a weekends to fly as they like plus plenty of baths during the moult creates happiness as well happy, well fed content birds will exercise and get fit.

I think too many people use roadwork as a last minute quick fix to fly or die with the birds. Fitness does not come from a bottle and must be built up gradually

I agree with the posts that say the birds need to be fit before you train - and for OBs at least that have previous race experience, no more than a couple of 20 or 30 tosses in decent weather - and single up, or in twos.

We start next weekend, and although my birds fly well at home twice a day (all weathers) they haven't been down the road yet. Overnight frost again on the loft roof this morning and forecast is rain and then hail.

Will need to pick my days, or not go training or not go to the 1st race. Have never put an untrained pigeon into a race - don't fancy it at all.