training toss

Guest kev d

Guest spin cycle
for the first training toss for old birds how far do you send yours

mines about ten miles .

yep..same here. i like to get them flying well round the loft beforehand though.

I START AT 5 MILES 4 TIMES THEN STRAIGHT IN TO 25 MILES ABOUT 3 WEEKS BEFORE THE FIRST RACE, THE WEATHER HAS TO BE RIGHT I WONT TRAIN IN EAST WINDS OR IF THE TEMPERATURE IS BELOW  8 DEGREES, THE BIRDS ALSO NEED TO BE FIT AND FLYING FREELY ARROUND THE LOFT.  BANDIT

yes i agree with that mine will have been flying round the loft 4 or 5 weeks before training starts

and on open hole morning till dusk . but whats the longest toss they go on , as i dont race in a weekly

club only nfc my longest is 65 miles then straight in to a 200 mile race . they get lots of these but 4 or 5

days rest in between what your thoughts on this

25 MILES IS THE FURTHEST I SEND MINE, THEY GO THERE AS MANY TIMES AS I CAN SEND THEM. MY FIRST RACE IS 74 MILES SOMETIMES I MISS IT AND NEXT RACE IS 115 MILES SO A JUMP OF 90 MILES.IF THERE FIT AND THE WEATHER IS RIGHT THEY WILL TAKE A GOOD JUMP IN DISTANCE. THE WEATHER HAS TO BE RIGHT NO EAST WINDS.   BANDIT

Like to get them flying well for at least half a hour round the loft then short tosses of 12 miles until they are beating me back.

Then up the distance to a few 25 milers before the first race

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS

took mine down the road all 40 they cam back in dribbs and drabbs 6 out 1 with no tail one with  no neck feathers and one with a nice hole in his back just wat i love for a first toss of the year

took mine down the road all 40 they cam back in dribbs and drabbs 6 out 1 with no tail one with  no neck feathers and one with a nice hole in his back just wat i love for a first toss of the year

training a bit eazrly aren't we? Mine are still on yb's and eggs. Won't start training until 2nd week in march?

Guest chrisss
gotta keep up with compatition they been training once or twice a week for month- 6 weeks

might be wrong here mate [not having raced myself yet]but i cannot help thinking that "the competition" might well be wiped out by race 2 in your program,again the same old story, stuff what the others are doing, think about what is right for your birds,sorry to sound like i am preaching,but i do so get hacked off having knackered birds crash landing on my sheds sent by guys chasing some daft little club average,a lot of yearlings sent in a east wind for a few points

MINE WONT GO TRAINING UNTIL THE WEEKEND OF ST PATRICKS DAY IF WEATHER IS RIGHT ARROUND 8 DEGREES AND NO EAST WIND, THATS MARCH 17TH  TO EARLY TO TRAIN NOW HAD A COUPLE OF YEARLINGS IN THE YARD ALLREADY THEY LOOKED A SAD SIGHT, BETTER TO WAIT UNTIL IT WARMS UP, LOOK AFTER YOUR OWN BIRDS AND DONT FALL INTO THE TRAP AND LOOSE YOUR BIRDS, ITS A LONG SEASON.  BANDIT

gotta keep up with compatition they been training once or twice a week for month- 6 weeks

They must have a warmer climate than we do up north then. They may win one of two of the first races but then the birds will be burned out for the rest of the season. An athelete can only hit and keep superform for a few weeks you want this when your amal races are on, not the month before.

Whens your first race? Ours is first weekend in April so my birds will first start proper exercise the last week in feb. Then about the second week in march training will commence every day weather permitting to 12 miles. Then a few 25 milers before the first race which is normally wakefield so about 80 miles from us. I'll aim for the early races with my natual hens on chipping eggs. Widowhood cocks will then do the rest of the sprint to middle distance when the weather warms up. Then back to nat hens for the channel and droppy backs

Don't think 8C is warm enough to start training. Started in March only once, dropped too many yearlings. Between 11C & 13C before I'm comfortable outside wearing lightweight clothes, and returns are OK so reckon birds might feel same?

Our Fed starts on 18th April. I've the previous week off to start my yearlings training, but learned tonight the club has organised 4 trainers, 4th, 5th, 11th & 12th April. Hope to go - for break training; my own training would be 20 miles round the compass, then into 1st race, 62 miles.

Also a bit of a change this year, don't expect to start my 2 yo before 110 miles, with maybes 3 or 4  x 40mile trainers, single-up or in pairs.

thanks for your reponce on this thread , is there anybody out there

who does the same as me cos i dont race in a sat club i just race in the nfc

they get trained private by me and a friend up to 65 miles then in to a 200 mile race .

i only do this cos i have a young family and i dont think its fair for me to be tied to the loft every

saturday so i race in the nfc every two weeks or so . cheers kev

Kev d my birds will start the season in 2-3 weeks flying around loft as thier first race is beginning of may 180miles (for the yearlings this is thier first ever race) birds will not see basket till mid april straight into 50-60 mile trainers from coast abot 5/6 of these then into first race there are a few guys i know who do a similar thing