small lofts

lordcornwallis

I have a 12'x6' (+ aviary) widow loft that holds a max of 16 birds in, but down to 12 at the moment and a 12'x6' yb loft that has 20 Ybs in + 5'x4' shed that houses my widowhood hens. I would class this as a small set-up.

cracking little lofts those redrose ones, it all comes down to space availablity, a pal of mine had a little loft in his back yard it was 3 ft wide by 8 foot long and the trap was unbelieveable but the birds loved it and so did he. What ever you fly to aslong as the birds are happy it can be an orange box. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

raced 9 cocks to an 8 by 6 loft won 8 out of ten races 5to 600 birds in club and won fed tropies runner up to gold cup in fed approx 3 to 4ooo birds ,many years ago now,

was impressed with alan darraghs set up[n. ireland] many small lofts, all for differant races,and systems,, and one big loft, exeptional fancier

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously thinking about putting a partition down the center of both lofts. I would eventually like to fly a half dozen widowhood cocks and hens but i think i should fly natural OB's for a few seasons to get the experience handling a team of natural birds before i venture into widowhood. In YB's i'd like to keep the sexes seperated

Tom

In 1986 I temporarily used part of a garden shed for my YB team of 24 birds, it was 4' x 4' with a small trap on the side. They flew out of their skins, winning 7 out of 8 yb races and excercising like mad. Then, like a fool, I demolished it and moved the birds to a purpose built loft the next season.

Im Hoping to build a 27 x 7 widowhood loft for 36 cocks (12 are yearlings) 18 x 7 loft for young (70yb) and them an avairy loft 24 x 6 for Hens and stock, i may also nock up a little 5ft x 6ft Avairy between the yb loft and old bird loft for 20 late ones!!!

A guess this would be classed as big?

Stuart