Mycostatin Nystan Nystatin

sean75

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An alternative to vaccination might be the feeding of probiotics, or 'competitive exclusion strategy' to give it its Sunday name.

Lot of gobblydgook in this extract, but its about getting rid of salmonella nature's way:-

Salmonellae reduction in poultry by competitive exclusion bacteria Lactobacillus salivarius and Streptococcus cristatus Zhang G, Ma L, Doyle MP.

Center for Food Safety, 1109 Experiment Street, University of Georgia, Griffin, Georgia 30223, USA.

The objective of this study was to develop a defined competitive exclusion bacteria (CE) culture that will prevent or substantially reduce Salmonella colonization of poultry. The efficacy of 56 potential CE isolates in preventing or reducing Salmonella colonization in chickens was determined. These potential CE were perorally administered to day-of-hatch chicks at 10(6) to 10 [8] CFU per chick, and salmonellae were subsequently administered by gavage 2 days later at 5.5 x 10(3) to 5.0 x 10(4) CFU per chick. Feeding chickens an overnight CE culture of Lactobacillus salivarius strains Salm-9, List40-1,8, or List40-41 reduced Salmonella carriage in cecal contents by 2.10, 2.52, and 2.20 log CFU/g (average of three trials), respectively. The percentages of Salmonella-positive chickens after receiving these treatments were 35, 31, and 35% respectively, compared with 84% for the untreated control. A mixture of these three isolates had a similar effect when compared with the results of the individual isolates. A mixture of Streptococcus cristatus List40-13 and L. salivarius List40-41 reduced Salmonella carriage from 90 to 65% and 88 to 31% in two feeding trials, and by 2.2 and 4 log CFU/g of cecal contents of chickens. In conclusion, CE isolates L. salivarius Salm-9, List40-18, and List40-41 and S. cristatus List40-13 either individually or in combination were effective in significantly preventing Salmonella colonization of chickens.

Guest TAMMY_1
An alternative to vaccination might be the feeding of probiotics, or 'competitive exclusion strategy' to give it its Sunday name.

Lot of gobblydgook in this extract, but its about getting rid of salmonella nature's way:-

Salmonellae reduction in poultry by competitive exclusion bacteria Lactobacillus salivarius and Streptococcus cristatus Zhang G, Ma L, Doyle MP.

Center for Food Safety, 1109 Experiment Street, University of Georgia, Griffin, Georgia 30223, USA.

The objective of this study was to develop a defined competitive exclusion bacteria (CE) culture that will prevent or substantially reduce Salmonella colonization of poultry. The efficacy of 56 potential CE isolates in preventing or reducing Salmonella colonization in chickens was determined. These potential CE were perorally administered to day-of-hatch chicks at 10(6) to 10 [8] CFU per chick, and salmonellae were subsequently administered by gavage 2 days later at 5.5 x 10(3) to 5.0 x 10(4) CFU per chick. Feeding chickens an overnight CE culture of Lactobacillus salivarius strains Salm-9, List40-1,8, or List40-41 reduced Salmonella carriage in cecal contents by 2.10, 2.52, and 2.20 log CFU/g (average of three trials), respectively. The percentages of Salmonella-positive chickens after receiving these treatments were 35, 31, and 35% respectively, compared with 84% for the untreated control. A mixture of these three isolates had a similar effect when compared with the results of the individual isolates. A mixture of Streptococcus cristatus List40-13 and L. salivarius List40-41 reduced Salmonella carriage from 90 to 65% and 88 to 31% in two feeding trials, and by 2.2 and 4 log CFU/g of cecal contents of chickens. In conclusion, CE isolates L. salivarius Salm-9, List40-18, and List40-41 and S. cristatus List40-13 either individually or in combination were effective in significantly preventing Salmonella colonization of chickens.

a lot of gobbldygook,     thats an understatement is it no

The Brothers Grim  ;D   ;D   ;D

Trick I think is to skim the extract and zoom in on the bits that matter to you:-

“The objective of this study was to develop a defined Competitive Exclusion bacteria culture that will prevent or substantially reduce Salmonella colonization [of poultry].

In conclusion, Competitive Exclusion isolates Lactobacillus and Streptococcus either individually or in combination were effective in significantly preventing Salmonella colonization [of chickens].”

Either or both of these bacteria and others are present in bio yoghurt on the Supermarket shelf. Many more strains are said to be available in pigeon probiotics like Flightpath.

I do my pigeons monthly, on the food. Its the natural way to keep most pathogens at bay and they are unlikely ever to overcome it by developing resistance, as happens frequently with manufactured antibiotics.

Bruno ,i feed youghart daily on their feed ,my opinion and the object of feeding youghart is to colonise the gut with good bacteria so whenever they come under any attack from the baddies ther is enough of the goodies to eat the baddies as that is what happens to keep the pigeons health from suffering and my opinion its why my birds never take any ybs although its not a cure all and end all been doing it for now past ten years and for 80/90 odd pence a tub is well worth it .

When I did yoghurt, Sammy I reckoned that 3 consecutive days once a month was enough as their droppings started to get quite loose after that. Trying Flightpath just now and they too recommend once a month.

Agree with you on yoghurt - can't beat it for convenience or price.

Bruno ,i feed youghart daily on their feed ,my opinion and the object of feeding youghart is to colonise the gut with good bacteria so whenever they come under any attack from the baddies ther is enough of the goodies to eat the baddies as that is what happens to keep the pigeons health from suffering and my opinion its why my birds never take any ybs although its not a cure all and end all been doing it for now past ten years and for 80/90 odd pence a tub is well worth it .

Ordinary youghart or bio yoghurt Sammy

• 1 month later...