Best thread to use for stitches

DOVEScot

i take it to the vet if the wound is deep or in an award place if not to bad i would try an glue it or get butterfly stitcher's if ya can get them to stick

i only ever had one that needed the vet and he said they dont do well under anesthetic and that could kill it if the stress don't

i had it done and he lived for many years but i never raced back then so don't know if slowed him down good luck what ever you decide to do

Any of my birds that I have had to attend didn't require stitching; all I did was plug the wound with a sealant paste, and the ends knitted together OK.

I agree with the use of glue rather than stitches. Have had both used on me, and in my opinion, superglue wins, especially if stitches are of the non-self-dissolving type. Need to take care that you don't glue feathers etc into the wound tho.

you can purchase sterile desolving sutures online, which includes a surgical needle. But I normally use white cotton sewing thread with a sewing needle. Flush the wound with hydrogen peroxide and wet the sewing thread and needle with alcohol. These cotton sutures can be clipped at the knot later and removed with a tweezer.

in the past ,in fact just a few weeks ago, i did stitch a pigeon [which i have done on many occssions] i have allways used white thread dabbing the wound with savlon and dipping the needle and thread in savlon,, but after reading larry lucas,s last few threads, and asking my own avian vet , who was kind enough to supply me with a sponge and alcohol,,,free :) [no, i havent drank it :)] these two knowledgable gentlemen, have certainly endorsed the fact that any needle used on a pigeon must be sterilized with alcohol, both to stop any infection , and, if the needle is used on any other pigeon , to stop the spread of infection , i am of the opinion now, that this is a must , for a variety of reasons

in the past ,in fact just a few weeks ago, i did stitch a pigeon [which i have done on many occssions] i have allways used white thread dabbing the wound with savlon and dipping the needle and thread in savlon,, but after reading larry lucas,s last few threads, and asking my own avian vet , who was kind enough to supply me with a sponge and alcohol,,,free :) [no, i havent drank it :)] these two knowledgable gentlemen, have certainly endorsed the fact that any needle used on a pigeon must be sterilized with alcohol, both to stop any infection , and, if the needle is used on any other pigeon , to stop the spread of infection , i am of the opinion now, that this is a must , for a variety of reasons

That was something I posted on here about, a couple of years back when Colombovac couldn't be had; Nobilis provide a sterilisation kit with their vaccine: a small bottle of surgical spirit, 2 small sponges and a plastic cup.

Instructions were to pour some spirit into the cup then dip the sponge into the cup which soaks up the spirit. After vaccinating one pigeon, jab needle into the sponge to sterilise it before vaccinating the next, and so on. I also rubbed a finger tip in the sponge and pressed that onto the injection site too.

Although I am back onto Colombovac, I still use the Nobilis Sterilisation kit between each pigeon.

That was something I posted on here about, a couple of years back when Colombovac couldn't be had; Nobilis provide a sterilisation kit with their vaccine: a small bottle of surgical spirit, 2 small sponges and a plastic cup.

Instructions were to pour some spirit into the cup then dip the sponge into the cup which soaks up the spirit. After vaccinating one pigeon, jab needle into the sponge to sterilise it before vaccinating the next, and so on. I also rubbed a finger tip in the sponge and pressed that onto the injection site too.

Although I am back onto Colombovac, I still use the Nobilis Sterilisation kit between each pigeon.

What kind of thread did you use :-/ ;)