Using Cider Vinegar

piggy

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hyacith is right i had sour crop in one of my birds before young bird racing started used cider vinegar streght down throat it works price £1.49 from h&b store good stuff

£1.49 ya joking,get down to asda.79p.

I use cider vinger 2/3 times a week,apparently it keep respitory at bay and has other benifits.It smells nice anyway..

Thanks for come back on this, Grovehomer.  :)

I am very surprised to learn that you have a problem with yeast AND that you use garlic; garlic should stop anything 'going over the top'. Can you please confirm HOW you give your garlic to your birds, and how much?

BEST REGARDS

I use 4 crushed cloves of garlic  added to 1 litre of boiled water thats allowed to cool for 10 mins before adding the garlic to it. This is left overnight and shared between 3  1.5 litre drinkers which are then topped up with fresh tap water, so that's 4 cloves to 1 gallon of water  i'd say.

I was somewhat surprised to hear that there was a yeast problem, the birds look ok, are flying well, there's no food retention or vomitting,  I'm just acting on a random swab result.

Do you think I'm right to try the vinegar or will a prolonged garlic treatment do the trick? Any advice will be appreciated thanks Bruno.

I peel it then crush it, some people slice it, some dont do anything apart from peeling it.  Some  put it straight into freshly boiled water, others into warm water and some add it to the cold drinker water. I'm not much help am I?

The beauty of this forum is that you will get enough views to confidently choose one that works for you.

good luck and watch this space.

i once read somewhere that u should never put ur garlic into hot or boiling water, it should be put into cold watwr, it takes something out of it, i always put cut up bulbs in cold water, and as i have said before use it in the bath water it keeps ur birds kleen and is good for their whattles and cleaning their nostrols, it certainly is good for keeping them, clean it is used by gardeners to spray on crops to get rid of greenfly etc,

Again thanks for coming back Grovehomer, and thanks to all the others who spotted the problem.   :)

If you add garlic to hot or boiling water you kill the active agent, alicin.

That explains how the yeast found a way into your birds.  >:(

If you decide to continue using garlic, use only cold water. I'm sure you'll spot a difference in your birds after just one day.  :)

Guest Doostalker

Bruno, right again, only cold water should be used with garlic as hot water changes its consistency and destroys much of the beneficial chemicals. The other thing is to never leave it for more than a couple or three days even in cold water, as a skin develops round the garlic which stops it imparting any goodness into the water. The best idea is probably to replace it every two days.

I think Fifer's idea on using 'leftovers' for the bath water is an excellent idea and a natural follow-on practice for what you advocate, Doostalker - renew every two days.  :)

I'd known for a while that garlic had insecticidal properties but until Fifer's post (a while back now  :)  ) had no idea on how to use it this way for the pigeons. Dunking what's left from my garlic preparation into the bathwater seems to be working a lot better than any of the advertised bath salts that I'd tried out.  ;)

i remember the chap, a member of this forum, who will know what im saying. he asked me to handle his birds before he sent them the race, there was a lovely cheq pied, absolutely stinking with garlic, this bird topped the fed the next day, but the point was it was sticking out in condition,,,,somebody on this forum is going to chuckle   [ or belt me one] ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guest slugmonkey

I put the peeled cloves in my empty waterers and bang them around until they are quite bruised and mashed and then add cold water some times I put them in a 350 degree oven for about an hour then I squeeze them out on sourdough bread with a little butter I dont know if this helps the birds but I sure like it ....

• 1 month later...
Guest Silverwings

speight a lot of the top belgian lofts swear by cider vinegar ,tried it out on the young birds for one season ,found it tightened up the droppings ,and the skin texture on the breast improved ( reduced scale ) also found it usefull for breakig down the fat on the hens before pairing ? not used it for a few years now , prefer a tea made from stinging nettles does the same job .....ray

speight a lot of the top belgian lofts swear by cider vinegar ,tried it out on the young birds for one season ,found it tightened up the droppings ,and the skin texture on the breast improved ( reduced scale ) also found it usefull for breakig down the fat on the hens before pairing ? not used it for a few years now , prefer a tea made from stinging nettles does the same job .....ray

Ray,tea made from stinging nettles what does it do as i have plenty of them at my lofts believe me.How do you do it and has anyone else done this

Guest Silverwings

carl do you mean info on stinging nettles ? thiis is how i use them , cut the top four inches from the plant enough to fill half a medium saucpan , add half a saucepan of water ,bring them to the boil and simmer about 20 mins crush about four sticks of cinnamon into it allow to cool strain it ,give about haf a cup to 2 litres of water ...ray  ( watch the down fall of em )