Mebendazole for Worms

Skull Lofts

yes the best stuff out there no problems with using it in the moult

Ive used it twice already and it didnt work, the Moxidectin! :o

Yesterday i used Mebendazole as i found worm eggs in the droppings and plenty tapeworms were covering the lofts floor. ;D ;D

As these birds are youngsters of around 4months of age i would like to know if their moult would be efected by the Mebendazole?

Skull

Think you've posted on worms [tapeworms] a few times and seem to have a specific problem with them. In my opinion, you can't continue to medicate the pigeons, without tackling the source of the infection, in the long run you are bound to cause the birds damage.

Tapeworm needs an intermediate host, if the host is eaten by the pigeon, that's how the infection spreads. Again in my opinion, the long term solution is to watch for whatever mollusc / insect the birds appear to be eating on a regular basis inside & outside the loft, and deal with those.

And has been posted before, tapeworm needs a specific medication. Think you need to choose 'one for tapeworms' rather than 'one that does tapeworms too'.

Think you've posted on worms [tapeworms] a few times and seem to have a specific problem with them. In my opinion, you can't continue to medicate the pigeons, without tackling the source of the infection, in the long run you are bound to cause the birds damage.

Tapeworm needs an intermediate host, if the host is eaten by the pigeon, that's how the infection spreads. Again in my opinion, the long term solution is to watch for whatever mollusc / insect the birds appear to be eating on a regular basis inside & outside the loft, and deal with those.

And has been posted before, tapeworm needs a specific medication. Think you need to choose 'one for tapeworms' rather than 'one that does tapeworms too'.

Youre right, ive posted during our racing season about tapeworms that came out of my racers after i dewormed them with Mebendazole.

I noticed eggs in my younbirds droppings and did the whole lot, old racers and 4month old youngsters, again with Mebendazole!

The old racers were clean.

In the youngsters loft the perches and floor was covered with Tapeworms!

My stockbirds ive never treated for anything, no meds, no deworming, nothing.

As the old racers were clean i think the problem lies by the stockbirds.

They are the ones that infect the rest!

Unfortunately they are stil rearing young so i will wait until the youngsters are weaned and then do them aswell.

Maybe this would solve my problem?

My original question hasnt been answered as to the effect the Mebendazole wil have on the flights of the youngsters which they are bussy casting?

Thanks

Skull

Mebendazole & Fenbendazole are known to cause feather abnormalities in developing feathers TAKEN FROM FIT TO WIN BY WIM PETERS ALSO SAYS Mebendazole & Fenbendazole ONLY TAKE SOME ACTION AGAINST TAPEWORM

Thanks Tony

I can assure you that Mebendazole takes care of tapeworms!

Ive never seen tapeworms in pigeons until this year when i treated them with Mebendazole.

Skull

Thanks Tony

I can assure you that Mebendazole takes care of tapeworms!

Ive never seen tapeworms in pigeons until this year when i treated them with Mebendazole.

Skull

Think what he's saying is dont take it as red it'll get rid of tapeworm  :)

Youre right, ive posted during our racing season about tapeworms that came out of my racers after i dewormed them with Mebendazole.

I noticed eggs in my younbirds droppings and did the whole lot, old racers and 4month old youngsters, again with Mebendazole!

The old racers were clean.

In the youngsters loft the perches and floor was covered with Tapeworms!

My stockbirds ive never treated for anything, no meds, no deworming, nothing.

As the old racers were clean i think the problem lies by the stockbirds.

They are the ones that infect the rest!

Unfortunately they are stil rearing young so i will wait until the youngsters are weaned and then do them aswell.

Maybe this would solve my problem?

My original question hasnt been answered as to the effect the Mebendazole wil have on the flights of the youngsters which they are bussy casting?

Thanks

Skull

Not sure that the problem comes from your stock birds.

Don't think it possible that parents can infect youngsters with worms, and with tapeworm the egg has to be eaten by an insect or something like a snail before it can become infective (for the bird) and then only if the bird eats that insect or snail.

Looks to me that your young birds have access to an area that has insects or snails infected with tapeworm eggs , and the birds are eating those snails or insects. You need to rid yourself of the intermediate hosts.

Not sure that the problem comes from your stock birds.

Don't think it possible that parents can infect youngsters with worms, and with tapeworm the egg has to be eaten by an insect or something like a snail before it can become infective (for the bird) and then only if the bird eats that insect or snail.

Looks to me that your young birds have access to an area that has insects or snails infected with tapeworm eggs , and the birds are eating those snails or insects. You need to rid yourself of the intermediate hosts.

think ib right there must be a source of infection do you burn lolft out after treament