Crop slashed/ how to fix?

pigeonpete

Had a disaster of a toss last night, Most probably a bop attack?? 3rd time at 18 miles,  beat me home first 2, last night got back was about 10 there, others came quickly behind in 1s and 2s from all directions, vounted up was 4 missing out of 24, 2 of mine 2 of my sons, about 30 mins later my grizzle turned up, chest wound, cant tell if its wires or shot, just know he went for a drink, and it all drained out of him!!! gutted (yet again) was nearly dark now, 2 more (of my sons) arived together, very very jumpy, But i was still my 2008 cheq cock missing!! never been late before, flown messac last year, and was 1 of my candidates for tarbes this year!!!!   :o .Anyway, is there anything i can do for this bird with split crop? Wouldnt know how to stitch if i cud?? how long will it take to heal naturally?? Hope i can save him? Any advise appreciated.

pete unless its really bad it will heal itself and very quickly best thing to do is lock it in a box with food and water at hand all time and if you have any purple spray or wound powder use either of these on the cut

you can get the spray and wound powder at any good equestrian outlet

all best stan

pete unless its really bad it will heal itself and very quickly best thing to do is lock it in a box with food and water at hand all time and if you have any purple spray or wound powder use either of these on the cut

you can get the spray and wound powder at any good equestrian outlet

all best stan

cheers stan, wont more water running through it make it not heal? did you get my pm yesterday mate?

Guest Tooshy Boy

I STITCH MINE WITH PLAIN THREAD IT TAKE S ABOUT A WEEEK. I CLEANED MINE FIRST   WITH A COTTON BUD WITH A DAB OF IODNE..,BEST OF LUCK.////////THE THREAD WILL ROT,///

Please explain? wont that affect the bird attall? like glueing the crop to other organs mate? Or getting in system?

if you have a crop wound ensure crop is empty and dry , you may need to trim a few feathers around the wound apply super glue  to the edge of the slash and hold slash together just make sure you dont glue yourself to the bird , this will ensure the bird can drink in a few hours time watch for leaks if any leaks apply more glue the glue will heal the flesh , hospitals use this prodedure for head wounds , feeding or drinking whilst have a wound where leaks is not good for the bird you need to get it sealed so can eat and drink properly  :)

pete i have glued and sewn them in past but if you dont know how to do it go down the route i said as i am sure it will be ok

yes i got your message morning would be best for me say 10 am

Cheers mate, what about eating? will that not keep splitting it open?

Guest mick bowler

Either glue or stitch it but if their a bit missing get some cling film, either wrap around if you can or super glue it oversized over the hole (pluck feathers around it first). will drop off on its own.

conamination is the biggest risk yes  birds are tough and resiliant but if wound gets infected the skin could go black and fall off the sooner its glued the sooner the bird will recover , you wouldn't leave anything suffereing for another two days pissing water and corn through holes !!!!!!

Guest joshdonlan

didnt know i was coming round tonight  :-/  ;D

use the glue was apparantly it used to be used in the army. I have glued birds and dogs with it in the past  ;)

Mate get some one to help stich it mate. If the mrs has a strong stomach. :) It'll be fine very soon I'm sure. Best o'luck and don't panick you'll do it.  ;)

The mrs!!! she nearly jubbed when i told her about the water leaking out of it last night!!

Cheers for all the positive replies, There is hope then, thought it was going to be another 1 bites the dust!

thats why i advocated the use of wound powder or purple spray to stop infection, why criticise advice given ? i note you did not mention any way of cleaning the wound before gluing but i didnt jump down your throat did i? i based my advice on previous similar injuries and can say it worked for me

in future i will give all advice by pms as i am not going to be criticised for trying to help people

The mrs!!! she nearly jubbed when i told her about the water leaking out of it last night!!

Cheers for all the positive replies, There is hope then, thought it was going to be another 1 bites the dust!

stop bein so soft wuss get a needle and thread and get it stitched the thread will rot away i did 1 last year a youngbird was split from AR..HOLE to breakfast time and he heald no bother he was my 1st bird bk sunday so does no lastin damage m8 ;)

stop bein so soft wuss get a needle and thread and get it stitched the thread will rot away i did 1 last year a youngbird was split from AR..HOLE to breakfast time and he heald no bother he was my 1st bird bk sunday so does no lastin damage m8 ;)

;D not a wuss, just didnt want to stitch its neck up to its toes, if you get what i mean, Didnt want to distress the bird anymore.

Mate I couldn't get my Mrs to hold the bird while I stiched. I was most worried you'd kneck it to put it out of its misery. That would be the waste of a perfectly good bird and he'll still be good for Tarbes.  ;)

It is not my tarbes candidate mate, he is never made it home last night  :'( So im fearing he was "the one". But i will give this bird a fair chance, if they make it home under there own steam i always give them a chance. :-)

thats why i advocated the use of wound powder or purple spray to stop infection, why criticise advice given ? i note you did not mention any way of cleaning the wound before gluing but i didnt jump down your throat did i? i based my advice on previous similar injuries and can say it worked for me

in future i will give all advice by pms as i am not going to be criticised for trying to help people

i didnt need to repeat cleaning of the wound as already been said my choice would be iodine but wound powder just as good also smearing of a bit of sudocream ( healing cream ) after the glue is dry to help form a barrier against infection also speeds the healing process up , i never jumped down your throat , but if you wish to take unbridge thats entirely up to you , my comments were honest leaving a wound open only increases the chance of infection and the skin tisues from dying so immediate treatment is needed , your choice to give information too others via pm is quite within your rights i actualy do the same from time to time , i never made any offensive comments dirrectly to you and i sincerly appologise if you have taken them the wrong way as no offense or upset was intended and i didnt feel the need to 'jump down your throat'  in anyway Regards Mark