Unwanted Racers

andrecrock

Good evening PB members. I personally stopped racing last year but when an old friend of mine fell ill and was hospitalized the beginning of the year after falling down in his pigeon loft and damaging his neck i decided to help by housing his 25 pair of racers. we have been sitting waiting to see if he gets going again but at 84 he is struggling to cope in the house let alone tend to birds. I want to keep some birds back that has been with him a long while incase he does fully recover but what would you suggest i do with the other ones? Its a decent team of longer distance racers and stock that can be taken over by a starter. Sid (owner) has been racing club races the last few years with health and eye sight deteriorating, but done well enough in club racing to see him win the over seas averages and longest race more than once. what am i to do?

thank you for any input

Andre (devon)

First question I would ask Andre is have you discussed with Sid what he wants and explain to him what your feelings are about maybe cutting down in numbers and keeping back a few old favourites to see how he feels about this and maybe he'll help you make a decision about how to part with the rest of the birds.

First question I would ask Andre is have you discussed with Sid what he wants and explain to him what your feelings are about maybe cutting down in numbers and keeping back a few old favourites to see how he feels about this and maybe he'll help you make a decision about how to part with the rest of the birds.

Spoken to him and he suggested a few to be kept back and the rest gone, but same old thing here. If they where top price birds I can shift them but I have not got the courage to cull them as they are a well bred family. Just knowing if I should put them up for free to good home or do I push to move the hole lot with a few bags of corn in return to keep the remaining birds. Tough one for me as he is a very good friend a really nice old fella.

Oh how we long for the days when youngsters were coming into the sport eh!

Personally, I feel, that a local person, preferably a youngster starting up, but any way some one near that can be asked from time to time 'How they doing' etc. Secondarily I think the offer to new starters, or younger folks, advertised in the BHW under the 'Novice' page would be well worth the effort. Many would take them and try them .... But they will be stock birds. So a couple of pairs here and there would be good both to Sid / you and the novices. JMO