Box Perches

Yellowman

I want to make a bank of 20 box perches,not being the brightest of chaps would somebody be kind enough to just talk me through it.....what dimensions ? what wood ? do you use dowels for the joints ? etc etc.....many thanks.

I used plywood to make mine, you can get six 8ft lengths from and 8ft x 4ft sheet. I cut out the joints half way on each length so when put together they interlocked and then screwed them together inside the main frame. :)

I cut out the joints half way on each length so when put together they interlocked and then screwed them together inside the main frame. :)

Just to make sure ive got that right,so you router a groove halfway through the piece,screw up into 1 piece and down into the other is that what you mean ?....for the cross sections i mean.

Just to make sure ive got that right,so you router a groove halfway through the piece,screw up into 1 piece and down into the other is that what you mean ?....for the cross sections i mean.

Say the width is 8in, you cut in 4in on each length and the desired height say 8in again. So when you have a 8ft length of ply you measure down 8in and then cut out 4in x 3/4(the thickness) of the ply I used and continue to do that every 8in on the length of ply apart from the 4 pieces you have for the overall frame. When you have all the lengths cut you can connect them by pushing the cut out slots from each length together that will eventually have all the boxes. Hopefully you'll understand what I'm trying to explain. :)

Yes thats exactly what im wanting to make Showman.....i get it now Paddymac thanks for explaining,probably more difficult to explain in writing than in a real conversation !...cant believe how stupid i feel after reading your first explanation i was thinking the cut halfway was through the thickness of the board ( router ) :wacko:

Makes perfect sense now think i was over engineering it :D .......after checking out the price of timber im now wondering if it might just be worth buying them instead !!....anyway thanks for replying.

Yes thats exactly what im wanting to make Showman.....i get it now Paddymac thanks for explaining,probably more difficult to explain in writing than in a real conversation !...cant believe how stupid i feel after reading your first explanation i was thinking the cut halfway was through the thickness of the board ( router ) :wacko:

Makes perfect sense now think i was over engineering it :D .......after checking out the price of timber im now wondering if it might just be worth buying them instead !!....anyway thanks for replying.

PM sent mucker.

I was looking for lift of perches 3 sets @22 " W x 48 H found them at red star £102 + carrage

They wanted £54 .make do with what i got.

I do them cheaper and carriage is also cheaper.

kind regards

alex

craftyfifer