quality??

I have watched people buy pigeons and sell pigeons on a number of sites.

But what gets me is that players or fanciers, call them what you will...

sell pigeons and say they are overstocked and need nestbox space, only for them to buy different pigeons from someone else a week or so later, what does this mean? the pigeons they sold are weeding out rubbish? maybe? but do fanciers not cull their rubbish ? seems not!! well I think if anyone is going to sell pigeons (myself included) then they should have some kind of licence to do so . a annual fee of £200 could be a idea , so that people do not sell rubbish and its cheaper for them to stick in the soup pot..

this is not directed personnaly at anyone, but before buying pigeons, take a look if the person your buying from has not sold before hand, which means your getting hie or her off casts ...

what do you guys think?

spencer

In 99.99% of the times i sell quality in terms of health, type and constitution!!!

As for there future breeding well we need a little lady luck sometimes but all the ingredience are in there to bake a specail cake.

Timbarra, yes people do this and one inparticular does it. A charge would be a good idea.

Stuart

sell pigeons and say they are overstocked and need nestbox space, only for them to buy different pigeons from someone else a week or so later, what does this mean? the pigeons they sold are weeding out rubbish? maybe? but do fanciers not cull their rubbish ? seems not!! well I think if anyone is going to sell pigeons (myself included) then they should have some kind of licence to do so . a annual fee of £200 could be a idea , so that people do not sell rubbish and its cheaper for them to stick in the soup pot..

this is not directed personnaly at anyone, but before buying pigeons, take a look if the person your buying from has not sold before hand, which means your getting hie or her off casts ...

what do you guys think?

spencer

hi timbarra,i can see ur point but will it work?..because the people selling the usual £25 pigeon,  because of the £200, it will rise to £35 but still remain the same bird before the £200 license came out.

thus costing the normal buyer more.

but as i said i do see ur point....paul

what do you guys think?

spencer

I am not a believer in culling pigeons as I went into this hobby because I love them.Often poor results are down to the fancier and not the birds,so perhaps it is the fancier that should go in the bin?.Also one mans trash is another mans treasure,just because the bird is of no use to you doesn't mean it is of no use to someone else.Also if sellers had to pay a licence fee wouldn't that just push the price of so called "useless pigeons" up when many of us feel the price of pigeons is too high already?

To charge a set fee would be a non starter,Fancier A advertises 40 pigeons Fancier B advertises 4 pigeons yet both would be liable for the set fee,a more  workable alternative might be a nominal fee of 50p or £1 per bird advertised with this revenue paid direct to Pigeon Basics for services rendered.    

what do you guys think?

spencer

What do you class your self as Timbara

There will always be points of view from all sides

If you know you what you are about then;

some say it is not the pigeon it is the keeper

some say it is the pigeon

some say it needs both.

If you do not know what you are doing;

None will blame themselves

All will the pigeon

None will blame both.

If it is down to the keeper then the nice presented expensive ones really are a waist of money, and these people that buy them are being conned, because if you know what you are doing you can succeed with any pigeon.

If it is down to the pigeon then the more expensive ones should be winning or breeding all the champions and the cheap ones should all be excluded from racing and waisting time and money because they will never compete, so it then becomes an elitest sport and outlay determines who wins.

If it is down to both then the fun begins, all the excuses, theories, banter, etc that keeps pigeon racing and any other sport alive

I think you are fighting your own corner, and rightly so, because you are now in the business of selling pigeons and whos going to buy them from you when you can buy them a lot cheaper from someone else

But if you proposal works then you will eliminate some of the competition as we all do in business at times, or the cheaper ones will have to increase the prices or pack in because they cannot afford the levies imposed

Then once you have eliminated all the competition you will start to moan about the levy

Nothing personal just the way any business works, I have owned businesses most of my adult life and it is always the same "HOW CAN I COMPETE WITH THE GUY DOWN THE ROAD THAT DOES IT FOR A HOBBY OR THE COWBOYS THAT DO IT FOR A QUICK BUCK!!!" You don't :-/ I don't :-/ My theory, "Here is what I have, this is the quality, that is the price" your reputation and service will make your business sink or float

Name any business and you will find the same arguments :'( :'( :'(

ive been looking at birds for sale on basics and feel really that there has been some of the best birds advertised on here ,better than those advertised in the B.H.W jstoon has sold most of his,why ? because there class prooven pigeons and also others who have put birds on here there has been some really good birds,i also have sold birds on here for has little has £40 off birds that have cost well over £1000.we can not garuntee they will breed all winners in every nest,those who say that are lying,but what you can garuntee is that the blood is there and that to me is better to work from.expensive or cheap if the blood is there it will come out of them somewere along the line,think about it. ;)

i think it is simple really the buyer knows what hes buying if he makes a bad choice in which we are all guilty of it happenns if a licence fee comes in might start low maybe £50 but we all know its going to rise to suit the studs so they will be the only one to advertise its up to the buyer if he wants to buy or not the pigeon game is expenise enough allreadywith out more fees only advive i can give is to do ure homework where fanicer lives and if its spirnt pigeons hes selling that hes raceing aganist sprint fanicers seen many great resuls over a season where a sprint flyer is raceing aganist men that only use sprint races as traning tosses parts of  holland is a prime example

Any body should be allowed to sell stock if they need to do so,why should the studs have there own way,making people have a licence to sell birds is stupid,weres this sport going to,after all the birds that are being sold have originally been bought in anyway,and propabley been bought from top breeders or studs or good flyers.

• 2 weeks later...

what do you guys think?

spencer

many people sell pigeons thats what keeps the sport going ,has for charging people to sell pigeons your joking ,people buy and sell for what ever reason they do so ,people only buy what they can afford be it a pigeon at twenty pounds or someone with plenty of money buys one at hundred pounds .

someone who cannot afford to buy expensive pigeons looks to people selling brand named pigeons for twenty pounds they may not be rich but great flyers who can probably get the best out of the bird .

massarella said many years ago ,theres plenty of studs get rich schemes thought up everday but never last how true .massarella made the sport of pigeon racing affordable to every fancier in this country not just the rich and long may it continue.

i know years ago some people had to back up claims when selling pigeons that what they sold went on to breed winners or won racing with testimonials from buyers in the bhw or squills ( if i remember right ).

can you imagine the out cry if massarella had proposed a twenty thousand pound a year importers tax on pigeons brought into this country each year .

Buying and selling pigeons is an art form, please do not get put off by how much or how little you pay for a bird. A few years ago I imported American Flights from New York, the cost of the birds came to about £3,000 with shipping and vet fees, my money was recouped by selling some young stock the following year, looking at it they cost me nothing.

If you look to buy the best you pocket afords than that is the way forward, take it from me its like banking money, save in an account then get the interest same thing, its putting your head to work that some find hard to work out. Them Racing brothers that sell 1,000 of birds each year know that if they buy a stud at a cost of say £50,000 everybody wishes to buy a youngster simple economics means if the totol birds they sell outway the investment their happy. As for liecences the council have that in the pipeline already in the form of a new stealth tax >:(