Emtryl

demolition man

think yi might be right tony but it was also used in turkeys for blackhead and then went into food chain

I gave it to mine before youngbird racing, because i bought a couple of pigeons in and after a couple of weeks these showed signs of cancker, i gave emtryl, after a few days i thought i had para they were twisting upside down falling off perch's etc, i'm not one for medication normaly so never reliased that these side affects were from emtryl, the young birds that i kept are a picture of health now, but what does worry me if it's done any lasting damage,

Regards

I remember reading what Tom Pettycott published on this and how emtryl's withdrawal in 2002 had the exact opposite effect on game bird rearing that was expected.

"Hexamitiasis and trichomoniasis were for a number of years partially controlled by the administration of dimetridazole in the feed during the rearing period and for the first few weeks after release. Outbreaks of clinical disease were treated with the same drug, usually in the drinking water. However in July 2002 the manufacture and sale of all three licensed products containing dimetridazole (Emtryl Soluble for Game Birds, Emtryl Pure for Game Birds and Emtryl Premix for Game Birds) was suspended, pending discussions between the manufacturers and the European Commission about the Marketing Authorisations for these products.

Sufficient dimetridazole remained for completion of the 2002 rearing season, but the game bird industry was faced with the prospect of rearing and releasing in excess of 25 million game birds in 2003 with severely depleted reserves of dimetridazole. Game bird rearing enterprises, feed companies and their veterinary advisers responded by rationalising the use of their remaining stocks of dimetridazole, and reviewing methods of game bird rearing. Several meetings were organised in Scotland, including presentations by SAC Veterinary Services at Duns, Perth, Forres and Grantown prior to the onset of the 2003 rearing season. Great concern was expressed at these meetings that a significant increase in outbreaks of hexamitiasis or trichomoniasis would occur in 2003, detrimentally affecting the health and welfare of the birds.

In the years 1998 to 2002, 97% of all diagnoses of motile protozoal infection (hexamitiasis and

trichomoniasis) in game birds occurred in the months June to September. The end of September 2003 was, therefore, a valid time to see whether there had been a significant increase in the number of cases of hexamitiasis or trichomoniasis in game birds in 2003.

Graph 1 compares the numbers of diagnoses of infection with motile protozoa in game birds

submitted to SAC in 2003 with the means for the previous five-year period. The graph shows that

there was no increase in submissions of game birds with hexamitiasis or trichomoniasis in 2003. In fact, the July 2003 peak was lower than the mean for the previous five years, and numbers fell away more quickly in August and September 2003 than in the previous five-year period.

If the numbers of diagnoses of infection with motile protozoa are considered as a percentage of all game bird submissions in June to September (Graph 2), it can be seen that no percentage increase occurred in 2003.

Overall, despite limitations on the availability of dimetridazole in 2003, there was a reduction in the number of submissions of game birds with hexamitiasis and trichomoniasis, and a reduction in the percentage of submissions with these diseases. There are probably several reasons for this reduction, including favourable weather conditions during the crucial months of June to September and a conscious effort on the part of game bird rearers to improve their hygiene and management and reduce various stress factors.

Having completed a successful rearing and releasing season with diminished use of dimetridazole in 2003, it will be important that game bird rearers do not become complacent and revert to previous practices. Next year’s weather may not be so kind!

T Pennycott, VS Ayr

(December 03) "

So less use of this drug reduced disease rather than increased it? I wonder if the experience was repeated from 2004 onwards?

I COPIED THIS FROM A PM FROM DAVID_THE VET

I cannot enter a reply through the forum, not sure why apparently the topic does not exist!

Anyway too much Emtryl can result in the same signs as the nervous form of paramyxovirus - twisty heads etc.

If you have not given too much then plain water will help them recover. If too much for too long and they die.

Relatively easy to overdose - e.g. they drink more when feeding youngsters and in hot weather. should not be a problem now. Allow 50ml per pigeon per day. If they drink all of the medicated water then just fill up with plain water for the rest of the day.

best wishes,

David