Young Birds Taking Boxes In The Race Loft

Diamond dave

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get youngbirds to take to a box in the widowhood race loft. In particular I have a very small young cock who is being ousted by the older birds.

I am feeding them in thier boxes.

Thanks

D.D.

Take your old cocks out and lock their boxes and re-introduce them one at a time in a few weeks after the young cocks have gathered confidence.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get youngbirds to take to a box in the widowhood race loft. In particular I have a very small young cock who is being ousted by the older birds.

I am feeding them in thier boxes.

Thanks

D.D.

Remove all the older cocks, and shut their boxes off, only leaving spare boxes open, then let your youngsters into the section, eventually they will dominate a box.http://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

I don't race widowhood, but the need to get young cocks settled to their boxes must be much the same for everyone. During racing season, if cocks are lost, then their box is closed off right away. As young cocks become mature, and take up with a young hen, they are moved to a vacant box. The choice of box is mine. I move no more than 3 young cocks at a time, give them each a box, leave them locked up for a few days, then let them out one at a time, making sure they go back to their own box. When they are settled, I move another 3. If I get an old cock claiming one of their boxes, its him that gets locked up. My worst experience was this year when I had 3 old cocks claiming one young cock's box, and that took a while to sort out, and dented the young cock's confidence, but I'm sure once a hen is introduced, it'll be a different story..