Yeast Infection

Guest strapper

what is best to use to cure a yeast infection would cider vinegar be any good.

vinegar as good as it is its only a preventative..which is not 100% effective.

what are the symptoms your bird has?

Guest mick bowler

nyfuramicin or flagyl or gestisol mixed with y40

Not sure about using Nyfuramycin or Metronidazole for a yeast infection, they can actually cause a yeast infection as they are a anti-bacterial, kill good and bad!

The main one of course is Nystan, but you can also use grape seed extract, garlic and Oregano oil. The latter i would recommend to anyone its great stuff, but not much needed.

In the past when i have had a yeast infection i have cut up a clove of garlic and put a pea sized bit straight down the throat of the bird, then a small squirt of water in a syringe (to make sure garlic goes into crop) and then repeat on day 3. I then followed up with Oregano oil and garlic on the corn. This year i have used the garlic oil capsules too, mixed with Oregano oil and now added the GSE, then put on the corn or onto a treat (peanuts, sunflower seeds). Seems to keep them in good nick.

Not sure about using Nyfuramycin or Metronidazole for a yeast infection, they can actually cause a yeast infection as they are a anti-bacterial, kill good and bad!

The main one of course is Nystan, but you can also use grape seed extract, garlic and Oregano oil. The latter i would recommend to anyone its great stuff, but not much needed.

In the past when i have had a yeast infection i have cut up a clove of garlic and put a pea sized bit straight down the throat of the bird, then a small squirt of water in a syringe (to make sure garlic goes into crop) and then repeat on day 3. I then followed up with Oregano oil and garlic on the corn. This year i have used the garlic oil capsules too, mixed with Oregano oil and now added the GSE, then put on the corn or onto a treat (peanuts, sunflower seeds). Seems to keep them in good nick.

Was tempted to post earlier on this one, Mick. Question seemed to be aimed at a 'natural' cure for yeast infection. Also wanted to know how infection was diagnosed, and the cause, which could have been result of use of antibiotic which killed bacteria that kept yeast in check - but there are references to experimantal work on yeast infection using 1) garlic and 2) GSE - both gave clearance results that were superior to nystatin. Knew about the one on garlic, but GSE was new to me, but in my opinion either of these seem preferable to using (yet) another med.

Could anyone give me the correct dosage when using GSE.Like most off the shelf remedies it's difficult to come to a conclusion on the amout to use/ litre.I know it's good for general disinfection and often use it.

Garlic, well I'm not sure on this one ,once over I used it very regular and when getting the birds tested still came up with a yeast infection.

Lindsay

Guest Davy Fleming

YOU WON'T, unless they are tested but an indication is not coming when you want them in picking moss from the roof holding food and many others but Nystatin in my own experience is theeee best but sure others will give you the same result

YOU WON'T, unless they are tested but an indication is not coming when you want them in picking moss from the roof holding food and many others but Nystatin in my own experience is theeee best but sure others will give you the same result

I'll go along with that Davy,especially picking about.I think medistan is the same as nystatin only cheaper and available in the UK.

Could anyone give me the correct dosage when using GSE.Like most off the shelf remedies it's difficult to come to a conclusion on the amout to use/ litre.I know it's good for general disinfection and often use it.

Garlic, well I'm not sure on this one ,once over I used it very regular and when getting the birds tested still came up with a yeast infection.

Lindsay

I share your concern about the general lack of information on how much garlic needs to be given 1) as a preventative, and 2) as a cure. Tony C turned up the paper on a Poultry Website which gave that information for poultry (on the feed) for Candida infection. The link is no longer available, but the reference is:-

Candida

In vivo studies have shown that garlic at 2% and 4% in feed protected chicks from experimental Candida albicans infection. The disease induced by oral inoculation of chicks with C. albicans was successfully cured by providing a ration containing 5% garlic (Prasad and Sharma, 1980).

Note:

2% is 2g garlic per 100ml of drinking water, or 20g per litre.

4% is 4g garlic per 100ml of drinking water, or 40g per litre.

5% is 5g garlic per 100ml of drinking water, or 50g per litre.

Davy, could you just clarify that I read your post right: are you saying roof moss causes holding food in young birds?

I've control bother with my 2nd round just now, and they do eat the moss, and their crops aren't emptying as fast as 1st round. Is moss causing this?

Thanks for info on garlic IB,I'm now more confused than I was before.

Does this mean one reasonable sized garlic segment crushed/litre of water or more,if feeding chickens I presume they are given the ration 7 days a week.

Any info on GSE dosage would be appreciated.

Moss is one thing that will knock your pigeons sideways and have found the pigeons usually eat it when they have a problem,to make it worse I think It aggrivates the problem.

Looking for this.

http://www.organicvet.co.uk/

Guest mick bowler

The garlic will work if used right. It has to be used whole (pea sized) straight into the crop. Garlic a couple of times a week in the water i doubt will keep yeast away.

This is how i use my GSE and oregano. I get i desert spoon of an oil, does not matter if it is olive, cod or whatever. I try to use CLO. I then add 1 (yes 1) drop of Oregano oil and 3 drops of GSE along with one garlic capsule. The bottles should come with a dropper. That is all you need, no more. I add this to 2 kg of corn which is enough for my ybs.

I use garlic quite regular as well, either a crucshed clove in the water or with the ACV (crushed clove added every 2nd week). I also use strike on the corn couple times a week.

If you look on the quickon web site (Ardap) they have a product called quickon med, it is supposed to be very good and has Oregano in. I think its great stuff, and is an ingredient in a so called lot of "YBS" cures.

With regards to how you know you have a yeast infection, there can be a few signs. After a bird eats and drinks it will go back to its perch and huddle up, it may not eat as much as it would usually. Obviously can be a sign of a lot of things, but i find the crop is harder than usual and when you open the mouth it can have a "milky" slimy effect, and some will have white deposits. They can also have a depressed look about them in the day. I have also seen when the birds "sip" water, They will take 2 or 3 small sips rather than one large one (also a sign of canker). Yeast can also smell when birds badly infected.

If your birds on the whole look well but sometimes appear "jaded" and you know its not cocci canker etc then most likely is a yeast problem, especially if they have been treated with anti-bs in last 4 weeks.

Thanks for info on garlic IB,I'm now more confused than I was before.

Does this mean one reasonable sized garlic segment crushed/litre of water or more,if feeding chickens I presume they are given the ration 7 days a week.

Any info on GSE dosage would be appreciated.

Moss is one thing that will knock your pigeons sideways and have found the pigeons usually eat it when they have a problem,to make it worse I think It aggrivates the problem.

Looking for this.

http://www.organicvet.co.uk/

Thats the link to the website, the original page has changed though and the information which I posted isn't included on the current page.

The question on garlic: it is a specific measure - garlic bulbs and cloves (a segment of one bulb) come in different sizes and weights. I have 1 x 40g and 1 x 44g bulb. So either crushed in 1 litre of drinking water = 4% solution and 4.4% solution respectively.

Thanks for info on moss, I think the reason they are eating it is simply because they are hungry - they have missed meal(s) as a punishment for not trapping.

Sorry, never used GSE, because garlic is so easy to get hold of, (any supermarket stocks it) so have no knowledge or experience in GSE use..

Guest mick bowler

Hi Mick,It's Grapefruit seed extract that I use.

Lindsay

Lindsay not used that, unless its the same as grape seed extract, it only comes in a small bottle with a dropper. I was told it only came in capsules but my pharamcist has it in liquid form and sells it in 100ml bottles.

Lindsay not used that, unless its the same as grape seed extract, it only comes in a small bottle with a dropper. I was told it only came in capsules but my pharamcist has it in liquid form and sells it in 100ml bottles.

Fell for that too years ago Mick. Holland & Barratt special offer on grape seed extract. Capsules, break and add powder to water. Thought I was buying grapefruit seed extract. To add insult to injury, powder didn't dissolve in water either. :angry: