Blakes Loft Ventilation

Guest joshdonlan

Guest joshdonlan

All you guys with Blakes Lofts, how do you find the ventilation? Ive got dowel doors on the front which are open all day, but i dont feel there is enough ventilation at the rear of the loft  :-/

i have a blakes loft too , (members and real names post , page 13 i think) me not over happy with ventilation. may be ok for widowhood side but youngbird section i have an 18" square louvre in the rear at floor level, which i believe improves it .  andy.

Guest strapper

i got a similar loft ,ive got green mineral felt on top heavy duty and tin corrugated sheets too.

the loft i have is vented at the top of the loft front..and same at back..ive also got vents in the front halfway down...which  i put in

All you guys with Blakes Lofts, how do you find the ventilation? Ive got dowel doors on the front which are open all day, but i dont feel there is enough ventilation at the rear of the loft  :-/

yes m8 i think your right there,,ive got one and think the venterlation is crap,,when i went on the darky i had a bad case of respo with the young birds,,,ive made some round holes along the back in every section but i dont think its made,alot of difference,,,i had a top fancier from out of town come round,,he went in for 2 mins came back out and new strait away the venterlation was,nt right,,,it was comming in threw the front louvers on each door and just swirling round in one spot and not going out the back,,,you can still see the plumage in one spot on the loft roof were it settle,,,none at all at the back,,,a few lads told me its were the loft is positioned as well,,which way the wind blows kind of thing,,,i was going to put chimneys in or fans but carnt be arsed at this moment in time,,,i did put a little avairey on the side for a bit of fresh air in the day but when there darkened of again the trap door will be closed,,,picture,,,,,look at the fence behind the loft,,,that will stop alot of air flow without a dowt,,,but its stopping next doors mad alsation from comming in and eating me,,,, :B :B :B :B :B :B

Seems the same here Mark. Loads of air comes in at the front as i have dowel doors open during the day, but theres noway of it leaving at the back  :(

thats very true m8,,,i reackon im going to take the top plank out at the back and put wire over it,,,lower the box perches down i little as well cos half the time we block our vents up at the back with boxes ,,perches ect ect,,,,i dont think you can beat a tield roof,,,ive just got one and with the doors shut its amazing,,,if you put your face near the tiles you can feel the air being pulled out the tiles,,,especiley when theres a bit of wind on out side....very good....my cocks think its xmas in there after being cooped up all summer in that blakes,,,,, :o :o :o :o

Guest joshdonlan

I think it makes more sense for a loft to slope from front upwards to the back as if im right warm stale air rises  :-/ So if it comes in cool and fresh from the front heats up and rises it should leave better higher up at the back.

Guest strapper

heres my loft plenty of ventilation,ive added vents to the fron of the loft since this picture..this was 2 days after i put it up.

ive now got a platform and slabbed area in front with a decking along the side.

Guest strapper
what size id=s that Paul?

i think its a 16x 8 m8...cost me around £500 this time last year it was 12month old..off a club m8 packing in.

ive got it in 3 sections.

Guest strapper
If you have a problem you should change high level ventalation because stale air rises, i dont have vents at low level it just makes a draft and that is not good, but if you came to my loft you can feel the air tickle your head and cant smell the birds, its perfect

mines similar mark..when you put your hand at the back vents at the top you can feel the air drawing out of the loft.

mines similar mark..when you put your hand at the back vents at the top you can feel the air drawing out of the loft.

Its perfect when its like that,  i am knoking down a 3 month old young bird loft to build a new one replicating my widowhood loft,  there was not a problem with the ventalation of it, i had smoke bomb in it and the smoke left no problem but i just thought that its was not as good as the other loft, my mate hase got like a blakes loft and it smelt the same as my young birds loft