odd colour ??

samantha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest beautyhomer
lat year i put a kirkpatrick red grizzle hen to a black kruth cock

reared 1 barless mealy cock...........no idea how?

red hen so all young cocks will be red.

as barless is recessive to other patterns both parents must have at least 1 gene for barless.

ash red + barless = barless mealy       easy ;D ;D

Guest beautyhomer

Having given this pairing more thought I think that you have wrongly identified the colour of the young bird.What you call a barless mealy is infact an ash red spread.

The young bird has got the ash red gene from its mother and spread gene(makes blues black) from its father.

To prove this,pair this bird to a blue and a 1/4 of youngsters produced should be black.Obviously you may need to breed more than 4 to make certain.

frank dooman             where you are situated frank. wakefield is about 180 miles to you. you should not be afraid to empty your loft at that and get them too the y/b nat after you winning the one loft race only a couple years ago i will look for you next w/e                                                                                                                                                                  yours rembrant2coo .                                                                                                                      

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
sorry gettin confused......can we get back to colours so are you saying.... from my red grizzle hen.. and black cock..... the barless mealy i have........ isnt a barless mealy at all ....this is the red grizzle hen....cock now in big lift in sky.......mealy post later

it is possible... but not probable

for the baby to be barless... both the parents have to be carring barless. possible...

for the baby to be spread red... just has to have gotten spread from the cock (black is just spread blue) and be a cock (all cocks will be reds and all hens will be blues in this case)

i know this is long over due... but i just found my watch list... lol not sure actually how to get to it.  other than to watch another thread.  lol

A cock carries two colours......the colour it is and a colour its parent passed on........A hen carries one colour, the one it is..........

As for pattern,both hen and cock carry TWO patterns in their genes....the one it is and one given by a parent.

Have you a picture of the mealy???