Position or Pigeon

T_T

Guest WINGS 04

I THINK THAT THE POSITION ONLY COMES IN TO PLAY WHEN IT IS NATIONALS RACES AS FOR CLUB RACES AND FED IT IS THE BEST FLYERS THAT WIN RACES AS I KNOW THAT THERE IS BETTER BIRDS IN MY CLUB BUT NOT TO MANY BETTER FLYERS

I think in certain wind conditions it can be down to loft position and in our club theres a bloke who flys in a position that when we have a west wind race he is normally the man to look out for. In Teesside where I fly we fly the shortest distances in the UNC, so you would have thought we would get the first drops but this is generally not the case and as you can imagine the drag that you can get from the amount of birds sent in the UNC. We also have to contend with the Cleveland hills, if we get certain wind conditions they get pushed the wrong side of the hills and follow the coast so our birds have to fly another 15mile inland, while the coastal birds are all home and dry. Which is why I like hard nose ender races which sorts out the proper pigeons and you get a fairer race, that and the fact my birds seem to come in north winds LOL. Dont get me wrong Im not taking anything away from any winners but those are the facts of life where I race and you just have to put up with and try to find special pigeons to leave the batch at the right time.

Basically speaking I'd be inclined to say "pigeon".  Although when two pigeons are separated by next to nothing then "theoretically" the one with the wind advantage should hold all the aces.

Classic example.   2005 racing out of Newton Abbot - approx 170 miles.  We're the furthest Northerly fliers in our Fed -  we've guys flying 40 miles short of us. Racing on "the dog leg" we lose 2-3 miles on guys way short of us and any chance we have on the Fed are generally on SW winds.  On Easterly winds we always have our backs against the wall.

This race was a genuine SE wind. No good for us - in theory. In practice we were 1st & 2nd Fed with 2 cocks coming together & they were almost 1 min 30 secs in front of 3rd fed.

On that basis, I'd say "pigeon" not "position".    Leaders don't get pulled.

Mike

i would say having won well enough in the centre of the fed [no advantage position or wind ]and won most averages in a big radius club flying at the almost furthest n,  s.. e,, w,,positions, at one time or other, and scored well enough in nationals giving 60 miles away sometimes[ inc 2nd nat[if your pigeons spot on you can do it. but ,,,,there has to be favourites in loft position and wind.

Thanks for the feed back all.

It's tugging in my brain all the time that a bad pigeon could win in a good spot unless perhaps it's over say 200mls when a good pigeon, would I believe, take over.

Imagine a full circle.

At the bottom of that circle there are most of the lofts in my club.  I am situated in the middle of the circle.  The pigeons go either side of me, hit the lofts at the bottom of the circle and then come back and I'm giving them 2ml overfly so that's 4mls overfly In total.  I've trained from all different breaking points.  It's difficult to accept but I must so when I win, I know it's a good pigeon..

The good thing about pigeons is its a combination of everything!

Good pigeons flying to a good loft on a good system with good management will be the winner.

The problem is you need to keep breeding the good pigeons and that what sets a true champion apart """BREEDING""". ::)

To add i doesnt matter what the system or the pigeon there is now gain without pain and more you put in, the more you read, the more you study your opigeon and write everything down the more the reward!!! Im only a young'un but one of the first bits of advice i had from Englands best ever distance flyers (Fear Bros Clandown) was that a lazy flyer never visits the prize table at the end of the year!!!

Stuart

Im only a young'un but one of the first bits of advice i had from Englands best ever distance flyers (Fear Bros Clandown) was that a lazy flyer never visits the prize table at the end of the year!!!

Stuart

Wondered what you / Fear Bros meant by a lazy flyer?

He doesnt clean out, he doesnt get up at 6.00 am he doesnt study his birds, he could be bothered to go training today and he didnt make the difference.

A lazy flyer is the man who puts garlic in the water for 8 weeks on a monday when the pigeons are  racing, the good flyer give them garlic 52 mondays in a year!!

Get me drift!!

Stu

He doesnt clean out, he doesnt get up at 6.00 am he doesnt study his birds, he could be bothered to go training today and he didnt make the difference.

A lazy flyer is the man who puts garlic in the water for 8 weeks on a monday when the pigeons are  racing, the good flyer give them garlic 52 mondays in a year!!

Get me drift!!

Stu

Stu, it was actually your quote on Fear Bros that caught my eye. CN a BHW scribe promised his next article would be a write-up on them - he stopped writing 'the next week' so I never did get to see it.  :'(

In 2002 I was gifted a youngster (Smokey) by a local fancier. He won 5th Open SNFC Liege 560? miles the previous year, and the youngster was a daughter off his 7th Open Scottish Central Combine Brussels 500? miles, also the same year. This was one of his successful lines and originated from a pair from Fear Bros. including a son off  their Pau winner. He told me of his visit to Sam & Roly in the late 70s? to choose them:-

One of the brothers was told to go and tidy the loft up for the visiters: Sandy described that the tidy-up consisted of a hastily scraped 'path' through droppings 'a foot deep' so they could walk without getting their shoes dirty.  ;D

Take your point though; pigeons are 366 days a year.

T_T, next time you are there will you egg mine on a bit to make them go a bit faster LOL. One day I will go down to folkestone to watch them, it must be an amazing site seeing 20-30000 pigeons being released, kind of makes you wonder how they dont all smash into each other.

Nice one, Ill tie some ribbon to the back of mine so you can see them going the wrong way or get some smoke streams attached to them so they can do an air show like the red arrows LOL.