Biggest Thrill

T_T

when i was 13 years old i sat allday waiting for our only entry to nantes to arrive,my grandad who i helped said she wont come now its to dark and wet,but about 9.30 soaking wet and exhausted she dropped on the landing i was so excited (my first race), i ran up the garden to show my grandad

his first words were ' so what time did you clock her in'

but in my excitement i hadnt clocked her in,but we still won the race

she was a little dark cattryse hen.

that is my first expierence of racing pigeons,i dont no who was the wettest me or the hen

my biggest thrill was one saturday morning waiting for birds to come home about 200 came over our loft and 1 broke out, it came straight through loft doors, i clocked it and it was 1st club,1st fed and 5th border amal and it was only a young bird (at the first race). ;D :D ;D

Seeing my good Chequer Busschaert Cock a mile high in the sky coming over the loft leading two others.  I screamed at him and he dropped like a stone without flapping until he entered the loft door.  Absolutely awesome. my brother couldn't believe what he had seen.  The cock took second club 213mls but I think the way he trapped won him that.   I shall always keep that memory wherever they take me.

Our wonderful feathered friends.

i must admit ive had a lot but one day always sticks in my head we were waiting for the birds to arrive from new pitsligo 400 miles to me our birds went with the welsh national so  i knew they would be dragged into wales at 7.30 we saw a bird coming from the east i knew it was a bird i had sent as we sat there he was about a mile away or so , a peregine pulled in behind him and started closing the bird turned and saw him needles to say he didnt muck about with the trap nearly took the back of the loft out when i picked him up it became all to clear that he went down on a slurry pit i timed him in and took the clock ti the club all went well untill they took my thimble out the smell cleared the room we took 2nd club 4th combine and would have been in the top 20 of the welsh national had we been able to fly for there honours i can still smel the sweet scent of sucsess now or is it cow s*** what a day

My pigeons returning every saturday, even the last ones win lose or draw. But one moment that thrilled me the most was this year. My good cannon cock who has been 25th Open LSECC Dax, 1st Bergerac 10th combine etc was due to be retired this year as he is breeding excellent pigeons. So it was his last race at the NFC Tarbes race 4070 pigeons and 538miles. I said to my dad he was such a brilliant cock for us that I wanted to finish his career by clocking on the day of lib. Well after about 15+hours at 8.45pm I saw this bird coming about a mile away and I shouted to dad that he was coming. Sure enough it was him and he dropped like a stone, in through the door and straight up to his hen and climbed in the bowl with her and his chick. I gave him a minute to get loved up and then when he climbed out of the bowl I timed him to be 12th Sect A, 70th Open. My first bird on the day from 500+miles. I can tell you I had a tear in my eye and the feeling of pride I got from this moment was undescribable.

Although I have been racing for many years it is always a great thrill for me watching the birds come home on race day, maybe something I cannot put into words.

Some instances to spring readily to mind though.

timing my first winner in on only my 4th ever young bird race and timing my first ever Channel bird in, I ran down to the club with my toulet under my arm and forgot I had another bird in the race, when i got back from the club my other pigeon was there and I deeply regret to this day not being there to welcome him home.

As for flying in America, one of my greatest thrills was timing in a drop of 19 birds from 188 miles and having all 42 young birds back from a 325 mile race in a couple of hours my first bird won the combine by 17 minutes.

I feel I must mention Steve's greatest thrill which in turn was something fantastic for me.  We had never flown a true 500 mile race until we moved to another Club. Steve was bag of nerves all day and was pacing outside the loft from about noon.  We received a phone call that one of our friends had timed in at 6.50,pm he was 21 miles short of us.  I decided to go and make a pot of coffee, but before I went to the house I gently told Steve not to get his hopes up as this was our first attempt. I was filling the coffee pot at the sink and saw something flash past the kitchen window, YES our 518 mile day bird at 7.04, this beautiful slate Bekaert Hen gave Steve the greatest moment in all his 56 years, I'm sure if Don was listening in Dallas, he would have been able to hear him yell. The bird was a winner and named Mrs. Bucket. although this was 4 years ago, he still nenver stops talking about it.

The biggest thrill for me was winning the Worcester Fed in 2004 - Something I never thought was possible!  It was the last inland race of the old bird season and I'd had two second Dudley Feds the same season - So I thought things where going against me! Third time lucky I guess - Also my first fed win.

A close second was sending one cock to a race last year and finishing 3rd Club, 18th Fed.

HAVE TO SAY MY BIGGEST THRILL WOULD HAVE TO BE TIMING OUR 2ND COMBINE TOPPER ON FROM TOURS IN 1994 AT 15.54 PM 512 MLS.THE LOFT WAS LOCKED UP AND THE PIGEON HAD BEEN SAT ON THE ROOFTOP FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG.WE NEVER EXPECTED BIRDS HOME NEVER MIND AS EARLY AS THAT.I HAVE TO SAY IF WE FLEW IN AN ALLOTMENT WE WOULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT OUT AS THE BIRD WAS DOING 1500 YPM AND WON BY HALF AN HOUR.SHE PROVED HERSELF TO BE A TOP HEN BY GOING ON TO WIN ANOTHER TWO CHANNEL RACES AND THEN BREEDING OUR THIRD COMBINE TOPPER.

well for me it was not on a race or anithing it was when i first had 2 pigeons i wanted a couple more i had myne out of the rabbit hutch flying and the brougth back a tipler i was pleased with it i was going YES YES!!! but when my dad said you do not want a tipler i will get u a pair of racers so i gave the tipler to someone close who kept pigeons and it turned out to be theres i got my races that day and i was even more thrilled.

Guest slugmonkey

My favorite is when the phone rings at 6pm and its the race secretary calling to say they pushed the time up to crack clocks because not many birds are home and I know I have all of mine in

My biggest thrill, was also my biggest disapointment, in my second year racing in 1996 I sent to the UNC inland national, and I won the club by a minute, the pigeon was a wildermeersh yearling and he came really low with his wings folding back from what seemed like miles away, and looked like he had a rocket up his *expletive removed*. When the clocks were read off my clock had stopped 30mins B4 i clocked him so was voided. I was gutted about not getting my first win, but will never forget the way he trapped.

many, many thrills in the past ,,but the one that will allways stick in my mind was when the escc was on the go [there were more birds sent to that ,that go to the nationals nowadays]anyway in winter 1967, my father went on and on about" the old meally"it had scored from christchurch that year, he repeatedly went on all the time about this bird will score from 500 miles, unfortunately my father passed away in april 1968,   i dont know how, but i sent the bird for him,as that was his wish, well to cut a long story short the bird duely obliged, he was 4th open in a very difficult race from avaranches, winning 98pounds 2 shillings and 9 pence, i still have that result yet,,,,great memories.

Getting all home within 8 mins (sent 8) of my first one out of a UNC inland national with 26,000 birds in the race. Didnt win a thing, but getting them like that was a better thrill.

Waiting for birds from 60 miles, knocking 2 hours I'd more or less given up, one came clocked her, phoned the lads in the club (I have a mile of overfly - they fly together on alotments) to say that I'd drop my clock off later as was no good. They said 'got to go the first one has just hit the gardens'. Just as I put the phone down (thinking that he was winding me up) another one flew round and in. 1st and 2nd club, 5th and 13th fed - my first win, was on cloud nine :):)

sent a 2year old latebread to sartilly [513mls] first time ever me and my dad full pooled a doo in the snfc  2nd morning weather was terrible on the forth  visability was real bad     cheq c dropped I almost died 23rd open 1st region won £1300 but that was just the icing on the cake        oh    and the fact that my 15yr old son flying on his own in his first race back in the sport won the first race he took part in   yeah that was a good day for me

Guest cloudview

watching a little gay pied hen  coming from pau   on her fourth visit 685miles 6.30pm next day  dropped on sputnic  cocks started crowing   when they saw her she did nomore thandrop wings fan her tail   as if she had just come from  the next loft i  was really choked up she was smallest bird in loft    4times pau 3times   in  section prizes :'( :'( :'(  strain  ko/nipius xjannsen