Sore foot -limping

dandydoo

Some time ago someone posted a message about one of their Birds limping ...and that there was a corn like thing on the foot. Cant find the message but I have a Bird with a sore foot like a corn type hard bit of skin on one of the pads of his foot with like a wee pocket of hard skin infection ....Anyone any ideas

Guest ben

Sounds like bumblefoot,bacterial infection through cut on bottom of foot,very common bugdies andaviary birds,even cavies,usually due to crap on perch getting into scrach on bottom of foot,i suppose it can be treated by cleaning out and usuing some thing on the problem,but unusual in racers?

If its needing baytril, would advise take vets advice for dosage.

Like Peckedhen, mine was put on a course for two weeks, and it was something like 3ml, straight, using a syringe [minus needle] straight over the throat.

That's why I can't help laughing at advice for antibiotics to be given once a week, or diluted in the water. Reckon they are as much use in treating a sick bird as fitting a handbrake on a canoe.

dosage i posted was taken from the dr colin walker book the flying vet !

If its needing baytril, would advise take vets advice for dosage.

Like Peckedhen, mine was put on a course for two weeks, and it was something like 3ml, straight, using a syringe [minus needle] straight over the throat.

That's why I can't help laughing at advice for antibiotics to be given once a week, or diluted in the water. Reckon they are as much use in treating a sick bird as fitting a handbrake on a canoe.

Baytril comes in different strengths, 2.5%, 10%. Different strengths different dosage.

And now for something completely different.

Watched one of them T.V. Vet programs some time ago and the problem they faced was a bear in a zoo had an infected paw, had a bacterial infection in it. They didn't want to knock the bear out with a dart as they wanted to avoid stressing it out.

How did they treat the infection?

Put raw garlic in its feed.

Baytril comes in different strengths, 2.5%, 10%. Different strengths different dosage.

And now for something completely different.

Watched one of them T.V. Vet programs some time ago and the problem they faced was a bear in a zoo had an infected paw, had a bacterial infection in it. They didn't want to knock the bear out with a dart as they wanted to avoid stressing it out.

How did they treat the infection?

Put raw garlic in its feed.

Can just barely read label: my baytril course was 2.5% oral solution, 0.3ml orally, twice daily.

Only used baytril twice on vets prescription, but use  fresh raw crushed garlic twice a week every week in the water . I trust garlic and use absolutely nothing else ...