SOLENT FED

morton

Nice to know there is some information out there, it,s a pity that the Clubs weren't given this information at the Transporter on Friday. It's getting more like the Secret Service every day with just a privileged few 'in the know' My Club 'the Milton HS is completely in the dark about the Race programme and its a disgrace when the alternatives are known by some ,and not general knowledge. Alternatives must be in place to comply with DEFRA's 14 day rule so why is the general membership left 'out of the loop' so to speak. Communication to Club secretary's is minimal ( I am one of them) and it is about time we were better informed. I only heard on the 'grapevine' about this Tuesday meeting and it is just not good enough. As for Truro being the next racepoint, it's a joke, this is our eighth race of the OLD BIRD season, are they trying to work our way up to Sennen Cove (a mighty 210 mls) in 20 mile steps? Just because the National went for the economic route I don't see why the Solent Fed has to follow suite, a lot of it's members are competing on the North with the BBC and the CSCFC , and a lot more solely rely on the Fed for meaningful racing.

Well said Mick. Who the hell is running this Fed anyway. I for one will be reviewing my membership of a Solent Fed club next year after this years debacle. What is wrong with north road racing anyway? The main reason the birdage was down was not the route but the weather! These people need to get their act together pretty smartish and not bank on the glimmer of hope of DEFRA opening up the channel to us.

Cheers

Richard

In total agreement with Pompey Mick & Richard, the only reason for low birdage was the weather.  Funny how some know where we are going before the meeting ?? But I have also heard on another grape vine that it might be Wadebridge.

Club secs need to know a programme, members need to know, they need to prepare birds for races, but they don't know where or how far these races are. Going west has put paid to some of our members competeing in the next Classic. But then is there going to be a Classic ? And will it be Perth ?

SOLENT FED IS A SOUTH ROAD FEDERATION TRYING TO RACE AS CLOSE AS WE CAN TO OUR ORIGANAL  PROGRAMME. THIS WEEK BIRDAGE OVER 4000 BIRDS WE WOULD NEVER GOT THAT RACING NORTH, MANY FANCIER'S IN THE FED HAVE ONLY SENT SINCE WEVE RETURNED TO THE WEST COUNTRY,I MYSELF THINK WE SHOULD BE AT SENNON COVE THIS WEEK CAN'T SEE US GOING INTO FRANCE UNTIL 17TH  JUNE  BUT DEFRA STILL MIGHT NOT ALLOW THIS IT'S NOT CUT AND DRIED.  AT LEAST WE HAVE SOME RACING  ............DRIES

We had 3800 for Stratford 3, DRIES, not far off 4000, and if the NFC had stayed North we would have achieved that sort of birdage again. The only reason we hit 4000 this week is because the NFC is at Sennen Cove next week and all the 'National' boys decided to use this race as a trainer. Let's see if the birdage hits 4000 next week. it is about time the Solent looked after their regular competitors not just those who use it for their own convenience when there's no Classic race that week.

The Fed birdage has everything to do with whether there is a Classic or National on that week. A few years ago  the Solent Fed didn't even have a race on National weeks.

Were members frightened of going North this year ? I was looking forward to the challenge. What's the point in west coast racing ? if you are racing to the IoW it's rubbish. (or is it the pigeons!) And if the Fed were trying to stick as close to their original programme why did they originally go North ?

All we are asking is that we have a programme and stick to it.

I don't understand the problem with going north! As someone who likes long distance racing Rose, how can you prefer to fly 250miles from Sennen Cove rather than 500+ from Thurso. Surely 500 miles is 500miles which ever way you look at it.

Sennen Cove is hardly south road racing either is it?

Cheers

Richard

You didn't join the Solent Fed to fly West, did you Rose? As far as I am concerned West is the same as North , they are both Inland the only difference being that you can get a decent distances on the North. The Fed should have stuck to the original concept whereby we were going to race West up to 27th May and then decide where to race after that when we had more information. This is what happened in 1983 when we flew 5 Exeters and a Plymouth then went North with the pigeons race fit and enjoyed EXCELLENT racing up to Stonehaven. Like you Rose I want to race South , I had an excellent year last year wining the O.B. Averages in the Solent, but failing that I would have preferred us to fly further then 200mls + and the only way you can get that is by flying North.  The only reason the COMMITTEE over-ruled the race programme was because the NFC, BBC & CSCFC were going North, Now the NFC has changed and the CSCFC looks undecided they have jumped on the West route bandwagon, over-ruling earlier MEMBERSHIP decisions. It is all this uncertainity that is upsetting the membership, it is unbelievable that we have not been officially given any idea where we are racing next week especially as racepoints have to be booked 14 days in advance to comply with the DEFRA permit. And one last thing, Rose, it is Fanciers who have problems with North Road racing not pigeons.

why do we keep moaning about where were racing from, at least are racing, back in janurary you would have been pleased to be racing from anyware. the season this year is a complete nothing season any way. so lets just get on with it, pompey mick you say about the 14 day notice to defra applies, how come we changed from weatherby to stratford on the saturday with with no trouble, and melton mowbray to stratford no trouble. the solent fed was devised to train your birds for south road national racing. my club when we were racing north 3 members were sending , now 15 members are sending. it's a fact south road fanciers will not race north , like rose said can't get motivated. if were never allowed back into france i think pigeon racing would be finished,

The point is Dries that any decent distance Classic racing this season is going to be from the North. Therefore the fanciers that want to send their birds to these races need to send them North in preparation. As Rose said you can send the birds straight to Picauville in a normal season, which is on a southerly line, but what is the point in sending them to Yelverton in preparation for Thurso?

Cheers

Richard

why send them north ,do you train south for racing i don't think so. i have lots of friends that live in the portsmouth area, they train from the west or east  to fly the south route because none of them have a boat, so surely training west country to race north for a national is the same as training west country to race south for a national, pigeons don't know if there going north east south or west the just navigate home. as fast as they can,

The Fed birdage has everything to do with whether there is a Classic or National on that week. A few years ago  the Solent Fed didn't even have a race on National weeks.

Were members frightened of going North this year ? I was looking forward to the challenge. What's the point in west coast racing ? if you are racing to the IoW it's rubbish. (or is it the pigeons!) And if the Fed were trying to stick as close to their original programme why did they originally go North ?

All we are asking is that we have a programme and stick to it.

15 years ago the island used to murder the solent fed along the coast they used to take the 1st 20 in the fed , or are there less quality fanciers on the island know , don't know , makes you think.        dries

surely you need to test your birds  you dont have to go right up to thurso 530 mile at the end of the season when you have to cut your numbers down you look back exeter 98 mile thats a real test for a pigeon. you send your birds to pau there must be alot of water to come over before they get home. but you wont send them north across the land. beats me

Yes Dries I have been a member of a NR club since last YB season.

If we are not allowed back across the channel this season and AI rears its head next winter and the winter after that etc. what will the die hard SR flyers do? Is this a big enough issue for people actually to pack up? If the Classic clubs commit to NR racing will everyone else follow?

Just a couple of thoughts!

Cheers

Richard

I dont disagree Richard about north road racing in fact the first time we won Pau our bird was raced on the north before he went as there was a ban then and we only got the one race from Pau  And yes I totally agree with you Mick it is the fanciers and not the pigeons Im afraid I wouldnt put the work into my birds to go north as i have no interest whatsoever in north road racing and I am certainly not the sort of person who would think of sending my birds without it I think its called motivation and im afraid i am not motivated by north road racing at all  That doesnt mean I dont have a lot of admiration for any birds that fly north I do but Im afraid its just not what i want to do  I like to enjoy what i do otherwise i see no point in doing it at all   And your right I certainly am not keen on sending my birds west in fact if we werent banned from channel racing my birds wouldnt even have seen an inland race they would have gone straight across the channel my birds have had a couple of races this year perhaps im being optimistic but im still hoping that we might get channel racing if I hadnt been I wouldnt even have bothered to race at all this year

HI ROSE,

SPOT ON  COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER