do you breed of stock or your race team

i was wondering do most of you breed of stock or your racing team because lots of fellow pigeon fanciers i ask this question to varie their answers i know of people who do not keep stock birds but breed of their race team and still produce top quality pigeons that win so i would just like to get the forum members view on this

it is also true that just because a pigeon is a top racer that wins left right and centre , it may breed complete rubbish alternitively it may not win races but may breed good pigeons you just really dont know

all the best paul carter

by the way carl your website www.oddfellowspigeons.co.uk is reall good the picture of them birds in them leather jackets and them hats on with 'the new bread coming from odd fellows pigeons' undeneth them made me crease nice work!!!!!

Guest Doostalker

I have used a stock loft system for several years now, and take as little from the race loft as possible, as I think it is too much for them racing and breeding a couple of rounds of youngsters. Also with a fairly small race team, 16 pairs, you can be left hand feeding yb's if you lose any in the racing... and you always will lose some of them. The trick is to get stock birds that will breed winners, and then use these for the racing. As soon as I learn the trick, everything will be majic!!! ;D

• 4 months later...
Guest slugmonkey

I breed from racers and stock I get 1 round off breeders and one off racers then compare notes when I get a good flyer I breed them back to family and breed from inbreds whith new house and lofts I plan on doing a little diffrent as I am going to build huge single mating facility so I can concentrate on breeding specific purpose birds I have about 6 single mating now hope to increase to about 30

I breed from both. I slowly worked from breeding from prisoner birds when I first started to only keeping birds I raised for both breeding and racing, No Prisoners! I liked this very much, they seem healthier and happier, well happier, when they can all get out and fly. But as someone mentioned it can be tricky. It seems like by the time you know you have a pair producing winners you have lost one or both in the OB race season. But I have a hard time not racing good racers. And when you get the winners out of the unlikely pair as mentioned well this is magical as stated by another. And they seem to come from the pair that mated in the corner, unnoticed in the loft. The ones that you didn't pick to put in the breeding loft. And since I only breed from proven stock if I get new birds, well, now I'm back to keeping prisoners. And like slugmonkey said keep good records, compare notes, and breed back family members. And I hopefully I still have some relation to those good breeders I lost.

Carol

Still working on a system, but coming down on NOT breeding from racers unless they are showing promise.

2006 plan is to breed only from stock birds. 2 of these are to be paired with my two most promising racers for breeding one round from them and as safe mates, as these race birds are (hopefully) SNFC channel candidates.

best racer i,ve ever had never breed a bird to get to the first young bird race, he had different hens and i even held birds back and breed from them still the same.i had a young bird from two yearlings which was a mistake,she now has won me loads of cards

• 3 months later...

I have used a stock loft system for several years now,i very rarely breed from racers as I think it is too much for them racing and breeding  rounds of youngsters. besides if you lose a bird while its got young it causes the other parent stress , but i do race while sitting  dummy eggs as this means i dont have to re pair or cull a youngster cos the parent is stressed , jus my views lol

rockinrick

:)