Why are people leaving the sport

Guest Silverwings

most new starters  aquire birds from from here there and every where ,soon their little 8 x 6 is up to the rafters ,bringing with then many strains of bacteria and canker etc ,once sickness sets, in anti biotics, preventatives curatives and all the rest of the expert advice is aimed at them ,resulting in total disolution by the novice , and a shed full of pigeons that make streeters look good ,i think that any novice joining our clubs ,should be given some sort of advice and  awareness of the above problems, by its senior members, ?  some of the older boys often   have more time and patience for new starters , given the right start and help they will soon find that pigeons are now  their blood ........? this  usualy stops them leaving before they have started !

silverwings,some of the best birds iv"e had were birds obtained from"here there & everywhere"granted not all were quality specimens,but i believe i came into pigeons at a time when there were still alot of true sportsmen in the fancy a virtue sadly lacking in many of the fancy today.

they would give you from their best genuinely,through friendship and for no monetary gain,just good people,too pleased to help a friend,young fancier or any new start a sound,inexpensive beginning into our sport.

nowadays it"s all about money,whether it be the experienced fancier or the new start,we are all being ripped off!

various strains of birds hyped up with fancy pedigrees sold to us for hundreds of pounds & 99% of them will be duffers,won"t win a race & won"t breed anything.

then we have all the pigeon specifics bombarded in front of us with claims of doing this & that at extortionate prices bearing in mind the virtually low cost of the ingredients used to produce them.

by the way iv"e done it all too,bought the birds & specifics,its taken me a long time to realise all this,but no more!!!

I agree with billymac, theres too much money involved in the sport today and it puts a lot of people off and also creates bad sportmanship between the members. We are the smallest club in our area and have no prize money involved at all in our races. We just compete for the joy of the hobby and really enjoy doing so. Some of the larger clubs in the town all have money involved and the arguments and backbiting that goes on is not sporting at all. As the old saying goes "Money is the root of all evils".  

Guest Silverwings

billy mac and jimmy mac, agree with you both about the money side of it ,and the van rip offs and yes the spotsmanship does seem to be in decline, one sure way to prevent this in the future ........................... ? on every aplication form into this sport  ,a wording that states : ALL NEW STARTERS MUST JOIN  PIGEONBASICS.COM would do no harm at all would it ?

Well i wanted to vote for two of the above,bad sportsmanship and costs are too high.If i wanted to send 30 birds to a race it would cost me say £40 a week,thats before the cost of feeding them treatments,training them etc.I worked out i was spending £250 a month or more on my birds during the racing season and thats without my club fees.Luckly i work,some people dont.

our birdage in my club is now £1 a bird and we have the option of pooling to a extra £1,thats before we pool in the fed.If i wanted to send a bird fully pooled would be.

£1 a bird

£1 fully pooled

fed nom 10p,

ford 2 bird club I think is 50p

and the club star is 50p

= £3.10

CARL, WE HAVE A POOLING CLUB IN OUR FED, COSTS £20 A SEASON TO JOIN, IT ALSO PAYS OUT PRIZE MONEY EVERY WEEK. POOLS TO £10 PLUS £5 NOM=£35 FOR A FULL POOLER. WE FLY ON AVERAGE ABOUT £1000 A WEEK.. GREAT CLUB AND THE POOLS GO ROUND WELL..

At the end of the day the biggest killer, where all the arguments are started is by jealousy. people dont like been beaten , and instead of trying harder getting better birds improving their managemet they would rather knock the person whos is thgrashing them everyweek. they should shut their mouth and get off thier backside and try a bit harder. what is the person who is winnign supposed to do ease off? i dont think so. take football, its like chesea or united saying 'ohhhhh we feel sorry for this team they are doing bad we will let them get a result' it just doesnt happen, the team that  is doing badly needs to get better players a better system etc. same goes in pigeon racing.

Couldn't vote - don't know enough about reasons people leave.  :)

Some of the views seem to see only one side though: complaints about people in official posts acting wrongly then being re-elected, but no mention that the membership made the rules and most of them won't stand for election or can be bothered taking on any of the jobs; Gez's 'jealousy' I'm certain is hugely outnumbered by 'resignation' - people like myself who get thrashed week-in week-out and (unlike myself) become totally resigned to being beaten and stop trying to better their performance. A good example of that 'resignation' is the huge young bird losses every year - some people seemed 'resigned' to accepting it as part and parcel of racing pigeons.....IT'S NOT. LOSSES CANNOT BE SUSTAINED BY ANY SPORT OR BUSINESS...it will eventually fold.

So no matter what the problem is, there is a solution .. if you can be bothered finding it and working (together?) for change.  

i disagree with you bruno,but you dont go far enough with your statement i would say not only are YOUNG BIRD losses part & parcel of pigeon racing nowadays,but OLD BIRD losses are also part & parcel of pigeon racing & as far as i can remember have been for the last 10 - 15 years or so.

anyway what would be your solutions to a problem no one else has been able to solve.

its easy for people to give and and conceeded if they are been beaten, you cant just go into any sport and expect to be at the top instantly. only one 1st prize per race and no one has the divine right to win, people just need to realise that and get on with trying to reach the top.

Not sure on which problem you are speaking Billymac, numbers leaving the sport, or numbers of birds lost.  :)

But I am sure that the numbers of birds lost every year is unsustainable, it is bordering on an animal welfare issue, and frankly even the most politically unaware must sense that it won't be tolerated for much longer.

It is also foolish to ask one person to provide a solution to a problem which affects many, especially when you (no offence, just one of many     :)   ) no longer view this as a problem.  

i"m talking about numbers of birds lost,as you well know.you said there is a solution to everything mr. brown as you seem to have an opinion on everything, i was simply asking you what you would put up as possible solutions to the above problem.

Well, Billymac, I'd like people to admit that there is a problem and at least try to find out what is behind it. You could say 'its part & parcel' when one pigeon doesn't show up. When dozens don't show up, you could say something's gone wrong, maybe hit 'unexpected' bad weather. But when thousands go adrift, every year in the UK, and are never seen or heard of again (they're certainly not wandering about Falkirk town centre) then you certainly can't say its part & parcel ... or sit on your a** and do nothing ... its time for a full investigation of the A to Z type.    

I certainly don't have opinions on everything...in my original post to this thread I said I couldn't vote because I simply didn't know. Nor will I pretend I know (like some)  what happens to the birds after release, how they get home, what line they take, where they break off the batch etc. Now if some Feds were to organise radio tracking in 2006 ..... then maybe we would know more on these.

But I do know the basics - under normal circumstances a pigeon will do everything within its power to get home, so barring accidents the bird should always get home even if it takes a day or a week... thats not happening.  

I also know because I took the trouble to find out the facts, that the stress in the pigeon starts as soon as it goes in the basket at the home loft, goes up a peg or two on the journey to the club, continues upwards at race marking, and in certain conditions reaches dangerous levels on the transporter. And it isn't a one-off thing for the pigeon, it stacks up week on week.

Those are the facts that I know. You already have my opinion on what should be done about it... "during the close season, have a good professional look at how we train and race our birds."

i disagree with you bruno,but you dont go far enough with your statement i would say not only are YOUNG BIRD losses part & parcel of pigeon racing nowadays,but OLD BIRD losses are also part & parcel of pigeon racing & as far as i can remember have been for the last 10 - 15 years or so.

anyway what would be your solutions to a problem no one else has been able to solve.

Ihave to disagre with you on bird losses being part and parcel of pigeon racing until this year I always started the season with 32 old birds and finished with 29 young birds 24 and finished19. however last year was really bad lost7 old birds and 20 young birds. I think to many young birds are bred out of paper rubbish birds with pedigrees as long as your arm costing small fortunes and all for sale at this time of year, there must be hundreds of ace producers or golden pairs WHY are they selling them.

Ihave to disagre with you on bird losses being part and parcel of pigeon racing until this year I always started the season with 32 old birds and finished with 29 young birds 24 and finished19. however last year was really bad lost7 old birds and 20 young birds. I think to many young birds are bred out of paper rubbish birds with pedigrees as long as your arm costing small fortunes and all for sale at this time of year, there must be hundreds of ace producers or golden pairs WHY are they selling them.