Pigeon in chimney!

Peckedhen

I just had the same sort of thing happen to me about 2 weeks a go. Young bird fell down the chimney, I took a treble fishing hook, bent the bards down with pliers, dulled the ends and went jigging down the chimney. Took all five min. and the bird was no worse for wear.

hope you get it out

when i was a wee bit fitter [i was t v aerial tech.]  and got a bird out an old fanciers chimney, we could just see the bird on a small ledgeabout 12 ft down, b4 the chimney turned and bent, with a torch, we tied a cloth on to a brick on a rope, dropped it down to blank off the further drop, the bird then went on the clothed brick and we managed to get it out ,it had been there for 3 days, the fancier in question had opened up the blanked off fire place in the house, after all the mess and soot , found about a dozen rings ,dating back to 1951,,,we then fitted a cowel [this was a two story house, im sure theres two members of the forum remember this :) :)

i really do hope you get thebird out p,h. ive even seen them struggle out themseves after a few days

most fires have a ledge about 5ft up and youll find the bird on there, dunno what your chim is like maybe different.

The fire service would not really be able to help unless its near the top, wich i doubt,  the only equipt they have for pigeon rescue is a ladder, if you think that they may be able to help you then ring your county up on a local line and ask advice, not the 999 number.

i can tell you that derbyshire frs would not charge for somthing like this, your county maybe different.

some fires have a trap door half way up or in the loft or out side.

Think about getting the chimney covered for next time.

This is the reason most fanciers dont have the birds on roof tops.

If my birds are not flying then they are in the loft. the birds dont go on rooftops or chimneys. this only happens if the birds are out a while .

hope you get him down

he will drop down to the light at the bottom  

GOT IT!!! ;) ;) ;)

The sweep came this morning and gently brought it down with the brush.  It's very weak but, I've given it water with a bit of salt and honey in.  Poor thing - I had to bathe it's eyes open and have given it as much of a bath as I dared. It's now in a closed nest box with food and water so it can see the others but they can't peck it. :-/

Here's a photo - bear in mind that it is (or rather was) a pure white bird!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE/SUPPORT.  Keep your fingers crossed that it makes it now. :)

ps The chimney is now capped!!

I'm not sure really. She has lost weight  - keel very sharp, is very weak but can stand on her own and fly up to a perch . She has eaten and drunk very little - I thought she would have drunk loads! :-/  

I really don't have enough experience to judge how she is. A fancier friend will be able to look at her tomorrow.

Thanks for asking. :K)

I'm not sure really. She has lost weight  - keel very sharp, is very weak but can stand on her own and fly up to a perch . She has eaten and drunk very little - I thought she would have drunk loads! :-/  

I really don't have enough experience to judge how she is. A fancier friend will be able to look at her tomorrow.

Thanks for asking. :K)