Kerosine heater in the loft

antwerptom03

I've had one running in the loft i'm building and it seems to dry it out just fine. Mind you it's been well below freezing here in the NE and my building is heavily insulated yet well ventilated. Just curious if the keriosine fumes would raise hell with the birds air sacks??? and if i could use a little heat from a kerosine heater to help bring the widow cocks into shape without doing any harm. Alot of exhibition poultry breeders years ago used kerosine brooders to raise they're early hatched show birds without harm but show chickens are not racing pigeons. Any thoughts or insight ????

as a plumber i aggree with vic + i couldnt trust the possibilty of fire it only takes a second to loose years of hard work never mind money and remember all burnt fuels produce carbon dioxide and also needs to use oxygen that wont help you get birds into condition

Birds love the cold and allways look good at that time of the year so why heat them up with blood temperture as high as pigeons thats the last thing you want, they will come on naturly when the weather gets warmer just in time for racing

well u dont live in canada i think its cold in the winter they should have a heater

What about the wild birds and wood pigeons that isn't to cold for them in the winter in Canada ?

Have'nt raced any wild birds or wood pigeons so i really could'nt comment. Could'nt say how they race with or without heat. I guess you really would'nt understand what i'm getting at unless you lived here. It gets damn cold!!!! I'm trying to keep the loft dry more than i'm trying to heat the loft. It's hard to keep the loft dry in our area without a bit of heat to help the ventilation work properly without a draft.

My flyers do not get heat. They get fresh water twice a day and a little extra feed. My breeders only get heat after the first of the year when I pair up.

I would not be to eager to use a keorsne heater.

I personally don`t like the fumes from a kero heater so I am sure the birds would not care to inhale them either. Get a couple of heat lamps and run a cord. Works well for me.

v99

Guest MBpigeonguy

What about the wild birds and wood pigeons that isn't to cold for them in the winter in Canada ?

wild pigeons where i live spend all thair time inside my dads turky barn roof  only come out on warm days./

Have'nt raced any wild birds or wood pigeons so i really could'nt comment. Could'nt say how they race with or without heat. I guess you really would'nt understand what i'm getting at unless you lived here. It gets damn cold!!!! I'm trying to keep the loft dry more than i'm trying to heat the loft. It's hard to keep the loft dry in our area without a bit of heat to help the ventilation work properly without a draft.

you can get underfloor heating or electric heat pads?

Guest slugmonkey

I have a big flypen and on the coldest days the birds get right out in it I also give open loft all winter and my birds fly out on the coldest days it does get below zero here with some regularity