flying with countermarks

Ed Bourque

someone I know told me that years ago they us to put countermarks on the birds

and send them off, when the bird got back to your loft, you would get the number

off the countermark and call the club house and let them know that this bird is home. no one knows the number on the countermark until the bird got home.

why not do this today,it would cost a hold lot less.

I BELEIVE THIS IS WHAT THEY DO FOR VERIFICATION OF YOUR TIMED BIRDS IN THE NATIONAL FLYING CLUB.  :)

Yes your right Davey,when the birds are marked they stamp one orf the flights with a letter or number then when you verify your birds clocking in time you also quote the mark on the birds wing.

someone I know told me that years ago they us to put countermarks on the birds

and send them off, when the bird got back to your loft, you would get the number

off the countermark and call the club house and let them know that this bird is home. no one knows the number on the countermark until the bird got home.

why not do this today,it would cost a hold lot less.

Not sure how it would cost any less  because the bird still as to be rung or be carrying a ETS ring,plus if you used this method in club racing the bird would be covered in marks by the end of the season,its sometimes confusing when they have about 3 marks trying to remember which is the new one.

Cheers Tony,

when they race mark the NFC birds, are the verification (wing stamp) marks noted on the register for double checking?

Yes thats right they are recorded on the race entry form along with the numbers on the race rubbers,or if the case may be on the ETS form.

Yes thats right they are recorded on the race entry form along with the numbers on the race rubbers,or if the case may be on the ETS form.

Cheers again Tony, we don't do that in the UNC, but it does seem like a good idea. It would in my opinion, be a foil for any cheating with the rubbers thats for sure! .....and we had that up here a few years ago!  ;)

If i get to an NFC dinner i'll tell you that story sometime!  ;D Its quite funny if not for the seriousness!

Guest slugmonkey

They used to send counters to the clubhouse with runners this would be the cheapest by far as no gas or car or telephone or clocking device was needed hell we could even meet in a cave and save the expense of a clubhouse  

you are kidding right ???

They used to send counters to the clubhouse with runners this would be the cheapest by far as no gas or car or telephone or clocking device was needed hell we could even meet in a cave and save the expense of a clubhouse  

you are kidding right ???

Have a look at post 4 on this thread, i think you may be getting the wrong end of the stick!  ;)

Guest slugmonkey

I hope I did it sure sounded like this was advocating calling in your birds as they arrive !!!

on an interesting side note did you know that the Benzing system will send your time on the internet and that you could see race results as they happen !!!!

now this is the kind of calling in I am talking about

MANY YEARS AGO IN THE SNFC,, WE HAD TO SEND A TELEGRAM FROM THE P,O AFTER TIMING IN [NOWADAYS FOLKS WOULDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT A TELEGRAM IS ;D ;D ;D]    THANK GOODNESS WEVE WENT A BIT FORWARD ;D ;D ;D

Jimmy, I remember those days like it was yesterday. When I first met my wife (she who must be obeyed)  :P :P :P she was a phonogram operator, as they were called here, did it for eight years & loved her job till we where married etc.

Keeps telling me I'm hopeless (god bless her sole)  ;D ;D ;D when I put pen to paper, because of her skills in the area that she worked.

PS. You can only do the best with what god gave you, as they say.  ;D ;D ;D & it seems  to her I was one of the unfortunate ones.

Enjoy.