BREEDING SEASON PROBLEMS

oldguy

less than 3 months into 2009 i have added up the problems encountered in the loft, in 43 years of breeding various types of birds i've never had so many problems.... is anyone else having similar problems

1) Pussy cat locked in the loft for two days.. (dont ask how, it was my fault)

2) more pussy cats prowling around the loft, on the loft, and under the loft

3) 3 birds taken by hawks as they were flying around the loft

birds left so skittish the results of breeding are

2 young left cold by parents ( both died)

5 dead in shell

16 infertile

2 broken eggs

11 weaned

2 still in nest

4 eggs in nests at moment

severe fighting with some of the cock birds, resulting in each having to be locked up in boxes

kev

i have had alot of problems but only in one of my section, typically the section with the new stock in which i have put down to the birds not settling in properly, the other section at the other end of the loft i have had 4 clear eggs all from the same pair but the hen is old.

I think the best way to stop fighting in breeding sections is to have removable fronts on your boxes.  Pair the birds up as normal ( behind closed doors ) good song that !!! and then take the fronts off and you'll find fighting is very minimal.

just sounds like bad loft managment how can you have a cat in your shed for to days dont you go in the  shed everyday ur a doss ov bad luck

the cat got locked in the loft in one moment of lack of concentration, i was due to be working out of town for two days, so i fed the birds early one morning with enough food and water to last until i got back the follwing evening

then i took some bits and pieces to the car, returning to lock the loft door.....in the short time i was at the car the cat had gone in and i shut the door on it... thank goodness for the security door which forms an enclosed entrance to the birds

and the cats that roam around are not mine, i am now  looking at getting an electric fence, just need to locate a company that can give me some advice on how to set it up correctly,  not just a company who sell them

I only paired up on March 11th, had all pairs laid by 23rd. Problems I have had is with 2-yo hens, one or two still going to last year's box. Never experienced this one before either, 2 -yo hen, paired with another hen all last season, paired to a cock now and down on her own eggs, when cock takes over, she goes into next box and throws both cock and hen off nest, and sits their eggs, while the resident pair look on and scowl at her??? She's badly marked around wattle.

I only paired up on March 11th, had all pairs laid by 23rd. Problems I have had is with 2-yo hens, one or two still going to last year's box. Never experienced this one before either, 2 -yo hen, paired with another hen all last season, paired to a cock now and down on her own eggs, when cock takes over, she goes into next box and throws both cock and hen off nest, and sits their eggs, while the resident pair look on and scowl at her??? She's badly marked around wattle.
i would love to have that hen in my loft ,and make good use of the way she is acting ,looks like she could be your first winner this season IB