Help Needed Completly New to Pigeon Keeping/Racing

Hi there to everyone.

Right, I really dont know where to start. Ive read through what I can see on this forum and I still cant see the information I so desperatley want to acquire.

Basically, Im new to everything on this sport. I have never even kept pigeons, even though trained and raced them. I would be really greatful if anyone on here could point me in the right direction, as to how to go about getting into this sport.

I understand from what I have read that the best way is to find a local fancier and be mentored and learn from them. I am extremly interested in getting involved with this, and really want to find out how to find a local fancier. I am from Caerphilly, South Wales, which is just outside Cardiff. If I could get any help I would be most greatful.

Many Thanks

Michael

hi michael, i'd suggest you get some videos/dvd's/books and have a look through em first to give your self an idea of what it's all about. it's easyier to see things in there than it is for people to tell you. you mentioned you've trained and raced before(you can't have raced before if you've never had birds) do you mean you took somebody's birds training ?. could these people help you? there's a few guys on here from up your way maybe 1 can take you under their wing.

pm your address, i've got an excellent dvd here which shows everthing to start up/lofts/breeding/feeding/training.  i watched it a few years after i started and still found it very good. also if you go to your local newsagent you can order weekly mags, which have lots of tips. the 2 weekly's are- the racing pigeon(70p)+british homing world(65p) cheap as chips

Michael, gail will let you know although she will prob have to ask any fanciers in your area first before giving out there details etc.

Like thunderbault i'm also in South Wales, Ammanford area which is prob a bit far away for you but if you are over this way any time you are welcome to call in.

Phil

Michael, gail will let you know although she will prob have to ask any fanciers in your area first before giving out there details etc.

Like thunderbault i'm also in South Wales, Ammanford area which is prob a bit far away for you but if you are over this way any time you are welcome to call in.

Phil

pjc,did not know you were in ammanford,visited there and around that area many times years ago !!!

Hi Michael21,

My advice would be: don't get bogged down in all the advice there is available. It can be overwhelming. Alot about keeping/racing pigeons can only be learned from experience.

Take it one step at a time. The first and most important step is get the loft right. It doesn't matter what you keep your pigeons in, rabbit hutch or barn, there are two golden rules about which there probably isn't much disagreement: your pigeons home must be bone dry and well ventilated. Get that right and you are half way there.

good luck

Guest spin cycle
Hi Michael21,

My advice would be: don't get bogged down in all the advice there is available. It can be overwhelming. Alot about keeping/racing pigeons can only be learned from experience.

Take it one step at a time. The first and most important step is get the loft right. It doesn't matter what you keep your pigeons in, rabbit hutch or barn, there are two golden rules about which there probably isn't much disagreement: your pigeons home must be bone dry and well ventilated. Get that right and you are half way there.

good luck

IMO thats good advice....its easy to get bogged down . watch some dvds but don't neccesarily try to take it all in at once. first pigeon video i watched was derek nichols on widowhood , i skipped the bit on diseases as i didn't want to frighten myself :) its a pity the rpra don't do a basic 'getting started' dvd.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.  Which is brill, as I have already found out as I am new to the sport to!

You will find the guys here are really, really helpful with any question you would care to ask.  They are a brilliant bunch and are very happy to help over any subject no matter how stupid you may think it is.

All the best, Denny

Guest strapper
Hi there to everyone.

Right, I really dont know where to start. Ive read through what I can see on this forum and I still cant see the information I so desperatley want to acquire.

Basically, Im new to everything on this sport. I have never even kept pigeons, even though trained and raced them. I would be really greatful if anyone on here could point me in the right direction, as to how to go about getting into this sport.

I understand from what I have read that the best way is to find a local fancier and be mentored and learn from them. I am extremly interested in getting involved with this, and really want to find out how to find a local fancier. I am from Caerphilly, South Wales, which is just outside Cardiff. If I could get any help I would be most greatful.

Many Thanks

Michael

michael get in touch with your local club ,im sure there will be a few there willing to help you , you may even get a few freebies to help you get started.......all the best paul.

Hi Michael21,

good luck

This is probably the best advice anyone can give you. I would just add one more thing, get a loft a little bigger than you think you may require and DON'T overcrowd it with too many pigeons

Only take advice off people who win theres a lot of people talk a good fight. Keep it simple as well the sheer amount of advice out there can be baffling.

Don't waste your money buying overpriced birds at the start as well even if you get decent ones you will chance not to get the best out of them but don't buy tons of crap either