darkness

its used to hold the moult,  the loft does not have to be pitch black,(dont close vent right up) 8 hours of light a day, it does not matter when you do it but i like it togo dark natural,  you may find it hard to get them to moult after racing but you will get tips on that, i like to leave it so i can let them out after work, the mrs opens them when i ask her,

Guest ROCKYandRAMBO

If i was you and its going to be your first season i wouldnt bother with darkness just leave them natural and learn how to feed and train them correctly once you have mastered this and you get a team together then try darkness in a couple of years time . no point going on darkness if you carnt get the basics right first imo rob

If i was you and its going to be your first season i wouldnt bother with darkness just leave them natural and learn how to feed and train them correctly once you have mastered this and you get a team together then try darkness in a couple of years time . no point going on darkness if you carnt get the basics right first imo rob

That would be my way of thinking aswell,but you pair up early enough,nature has it's own darkness.

Lindsay.

thanks whiteknight sent you pm

Y ASK QUESTIONS ON HERE AND WANT ANSWERS,,,, THEN WHEN SUM 1 ASK U A QUESTION U DECIDE 2 ANSWER THRU PM,S ????????????? :-/ STRANGE  OR IS THAT JUST ME THINKIN ?????? THOUGHT THIS WAS FOR ASKIN AND SHARIN EACH OTHERS THOUGHTS NOT JUST BEIN 1 SIDED ,,,U GETTIN BUT NOT GIVIN

• 4 weeks later...

as light controls the moult,,,, i,e the darkness yb,s are led to beleive it is winter [shorter daylight hours], therefore have a full body moult but retain their nest flights,,they are usualy put on normal daylight hours on the longest day, these birds have a "second"body moult, then moult these nest flights,, usually they will moult out these flights with proper feeding, baths and rest,, but if kept on darkness any longer than this" longest" day, will have difficulty in moulting all these 10 flights , light would help these birds,,, as i have said b4 i have given buttermilk in their water, about a tablespoon each day, many havent found this usefull, but i have to say i found this benificial myself,,,, i have found in the past, that any bird retaining its last flight, can, the following year, moult out this flight at the same time as moulting their second flight, in this second year,, this i found out to my great dis-advantage in one special bird which came home with 8 flights , well behind the rest, in a fairly big race :)

Guest frank dooman

silver sometimes you have to try and force them on feed small seed conditioner and put hemp oil on it i have also heard that keeping the light on untill8/9 also helps but i have never had to go that far best of luck