birds of prey..my idea...

Guest strapper

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its my personal view that whatever Pigeon fanciers do or attempt to do wont be enough as quite simply we cannot unite as a unit without internal problems - Has been tried many times over various issues and with the best intentions just doesnt get off the ground.

Brian suggested earlier a very valid method of making our voice heard and that is every club secretary in the land when sent correspondence to have a petition form included that members can sign and then it can be sent back to the region secretaries with the union fees for the year - No need to just have fanciers sign it but also others within the enviroment such as family to random people in the pub - Quick way to get a large petiton signed with tens of thousands of signatures - This may also appease people who feel the RPRA are not doing enough over this issue.

If doing a documentry would be best to find a keen film student who could also use it as a project assignment.

Guest wattle
Its my personal view that whatever Pigeon fanciers do or attempt to do wont be enough as quite simply we cannot unite as a unit without internal problems - Has been tried many times over various issues and with the best intentions just doesnt get off the ground.

Brian suggested earlier a very valid method of making our voice heard and that is every club secretary in the land when sent correspondence to have a petition form included that members can sign and then it can be sent back to the region secretaries with the union fees for the year - No need to just have fanciers sign it but also others within the enviroment such as family to random people in the pub - Quick way to get a large petiton signed with tens of thousands of signatures - This may also appease people who feel the RPRA are not doing enough over this issue.

If doing a documentry would be best to find a keen film student who could also use it as a project assignment.

and do you think this will help the problem.

Guest wattle

and how many bops have you saved us from over the the years, because  believe me i have saved us from dozens, so who,s helping the sport more me or you.

and how many bops have you saved us from over the the years, because  believe me i have saved us from dozens, so who,s helping the sport more me or you.

Well im not promoting illegal activity that again puts pigeon fanciers in a more negative light than we already are - If we want anything to get done or protection restrictions lifting bragging about shooting birds of prey or how to kill them isnt really going to get us much backing.

Whilst they are protected it really doesnt matter how many dozens you have killed there is still thousand upon thousand about - so what is the better method - having there protetion lifted or killing the odd 10 or so every so often which really isnt a drop in the ocean.

the bottom line is the unions do sweet f all we need to get together  and all pull in the same dirrection  look at the amount we have raised for charitys over the last 2 years alone  with that cash we could have funded a short film

i think its time to forget all the charitys although good causes and help ourselves build a fighting fund and have a right go  get a press officer to release to the papers that no more cash will be raised by us for the charitys as in the past we have raised X amount  and been treated like scum  JMO

the bottom line is the unions do sweet f all we need to get together  and all pull in the same dirrection  look at the amount we have raised for charitys over the last 2 years alone  with that cash we could have funded a short film

i think its time to forget all the charitys although good causes and help ourselves build a fighting fund and have a right go  get a press officer to release to the papers that no more cash will be raised by us for the charitys as in the past we have raised X amount  and been treated like scum  JMO

the SHU spent years and lots of money fighting this, and got us nil. put out loads of leaflets and i believe even had a mp on it,

Guest lenwadebob

The officers of the various Unions are elected by the membership to act on their behalf. Sadly we have a situation within the hobby where they dictate to us, and NOT us telling them what we want - SOMETHING WRONG SOMEWHERE.

The suggestion by Brian and reiterated by Vallance earlier, appears to be the logical, and legal way of going about things. At least it will show solidarity amongst all members, and then the Unions will have to act, or we show a vote of NO CONFIDENCE in them and get them kicked off and elect a management committee that WILL act on our behalf. We the membership own the unions NOT them owning us. JMHO

the SHU spent years and lots of money fighting this, and got us nil. put out loads of leaflets and i believe even had a mp on it,

ARCHIE THE  SHU   ARE AS MUCH GOOD AS A BUCKET WITH A HOLE IN IT AND THE REST ARNT ANY BETTER TOO MANY OLD PALS LIVING IN THE PAST  MOVE WITH THE FUTURE

YEARS AGO WHEN GEORDIE BROWN WAS THE PRES  I TOLD HIM YOU NEED TO GOINTO SCHOOLS WITH VIDEOS ECT PROMOTING THE SPORT AS A WHOLE  WHAT WAS DONE A GREAT BIG ZILCH   IF WE DONT DO IT THEN NO ONE WILL  END OF

Guest snookbri

and do you think this will help the problem.

It's a start isn't it, a 30,000+ signed petition would be the perfect way to start a campaign to highlight the plight of our pigeons and songbirds,after all we are all BIRD LOVERS at the end of the day,or else we wouldn't keep pigeons,i for one also have a feeding station in my garden to feed our smaller feathered friends.

A petition,signed by every single pigeon fancier in the land would also show we are united in our campaign and for those fanciers who turn round and say i'm not affected by hawk strikes,you most certainly are if you race, as your birds run the risk of a strike every single Saturday.

A petition in every single corn shop/wild bird food outlet would also boost petition numbers,after all the livelihoods of all concerned COULD be at stake,also targetting the millions of people with feeding stations in their gardens who must be seeing a decline in numbers of our smaller feathered friends.

The organisation to front this campaign has just GOT to be the RPRA.

After the petition,then we have a better chance of getting influential people on board after seeing how strongly,we,as bird lovers feel.

I have never understood RSPB policy to afford protection to BOP and not to songbirds from BOP.

Lots of councils introduce the raptors into the city to control the feral pigeon, ask majority of the general public a pigeon is vermin flying rat weather it be a racer or feral.. Just look what extremes councils have gone to keep the feral pigeon off buildings by putting them spikes up so they can't land if they do they die of a very slow death.... The general public needs educating regards the racing pigeon but then again if they have no interest why would they want to listen i know i wouldn't if i had no interest...

Guest wattle

Well im not promoting illegal activity that again puts pigeon fanciers in a more negative light than we already are - If we want anything to get done or protection restrictions lifting bragging about shooting birds of prey or how to kill them isnt really going to get us much backing.

Whilst they are protected it really doesnt matter how many dozens you have killed there is still thousand upon thousand about - so what is the better method - having there protetion lifted or killing the odd 10 or so every so often which really isnt a drop in the ocean.[/quote

yes and there is also thousands of fanciers about to, so if the don,t do what we ask, and if everybody plays there part, the drop in the ocean will get bigger and bigger every year, just my thoughts on the subject.  :)

so this  documentry   does that  also include the  cats    that kill  pigeons , us  we  kill  plenty  that arent needed ,   oh  and does  it included  that pigeon lads  take it  upon them selves  to  kill  bop ?

Guest wattle
so this  documentry   does that  also include the  cats    that kill  pigeons , us  we  kill  plenty  that arent needed ,   oh  and does  it included  that pigeon lads  take it  upon them selves  to  kill  bop ?

well if you want to save your pigeons it does.

so  you  going  to put in this  documentry  exactle  what a pigeons  lad  would  do  with a  cat that gets  into his  loft   or  a  hawk that  takes  his  pigeons   or  just  a  pigeon thats  no longer  wanted  im sorry but i dont think thats  gunna  happen

What might be worth considering if we can get the unions on board would be to start making pigeon rings out of a chmicals which will affect the fertility of bop if they kill a pigeon and digest the rings when they are eating it. Possible making the leg rings out of say lead or a similar chemical compound that could prevent the bops breeding. In a few years there numbers would then greatly be reduced. JMO

We we are thinking of getting a documentary made I am sure the costs would be high, but if we wanted to go down that route I feel a good person to get on board would be Jim Jenner. Any pigeon dvds that I have seen that he has produced have been top quality and he is well known for his work outside pigeon racing also.