Percentage of winners.

dignity DAZ

Guest spin cycle
Out of 100 young birds bred how many turn out winners or breeders of winners? The reason i ask is i think some claims are inaccurate, say there are 50 x 1st out of those 100 is it 50 individuals or 10 that have bred 50 x 1st? to me the latter is 10% which in truth is a good percentage.

think it varies widely between families/strains and also how results are 'spun'. i was told 1 good pigeon in 20 ( if your lucky)

Its a very difficult calculation and can be missleading! I have seen adverts advertising hundreds of 1st's to find out the birds positions were 1st's to the loft, beaten by nestmate etc and not club or fed 1sts.

A very good friend of mine built his show team up over nearly 20 years, when he started would breed 6 yb's from his main pairs and prob keep 2, the others would be culled, over the years and through selective breeding this went up to having 5 good from 6.

Quite a topical thread, cos I've been thinking about my breeding plans for 2009 for a few weeks now.

Stats can mean anything, and can be made to mean anything you like. The one I've been quoted is 'you get 1 good bird in 10' ie 10%. Never really thought about what constitutes a 'good bird' as to me winners are winners. But if you are league-minded, then the next question is: is it a club, federation or national winner, or is it a bird with multiple wins? Think the higher up that scale you go, then the lower the percentage becomes, and nowhere near 1 in 10. 1 in 100 maybe?