Young Bird Returns

mealybar

Guest shadow

Ms pigeon try www. everything for pets web site they sell a wing stamp which is waterproof ,self inking (so you stamp on your own. Mine has been in use all season and shows no sign of fading cost £16 you would have to look up the cost of posting but I feel sure you could get one closer to home. good luck with your 40 acre farm. that would be my dream if ever We get to usa.(son and family already live there have done for 10 years.good luck ;) ;)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just three comments on three of the thread's themes:

(1) Fifer, you have misread the SHU wingstamping / address ring rules; wingstamping is compulsory, address ring is at discretion of Organisations. Personally, I prefer the ring.

(2) ALL; Number of youngbirds bred. Take any ratio you believe to be correct e.g. for every 10 ybs bred, only 1 is worth tuppence. So if you breed 10, expect 1 good one and 'expect' nothing of / to lose the other 9. Breed 20, lose 18 etc. Perhaps the reason yb losses appear to be getting worse is that each year more and more birds are bred, including those from questionable pairings (better try a round off that pair to make up the numbers) therefore there are more dumplings (i.e. not worth a penny, never mind tuppence!) amongst them.

(3) Solar flares / winds. Been here far longer than humans and birds have. However, birds have been around for 60 million years and surely evolved to deal with this natural phenomenon. Don't hear much of 6 million geese setting off from Canada for Africa and ending up in Taiwan, do we?  

Bang on bruno with (2). Generally no matter how many you breed, you have the same number left at the end of the year as any other year.

Think I'm right in saying (Re: 3) that we are getting into a time of increased solar activity. I'll see if I can find the K index for race days and post them up on the forum, see how they fair.

it makes you wonder about all these yb losses and as most say ,if you dont get them in a reasonable time, you never see them at all, i know it sounds old fashioned ,but in the days of rail transportation, we never had any where near these losses, remember these birds were lifted from the train , usualy to the end of the platform, all the air they needed surrounded the baskets, the way they were laid out they could see the sun, plenty of rest then liberated, if it was bad weather they would be kept in the carriage, at the sidings, with all doors and windows open    ,but i suppose progress is progress.                  dr beeching was not a pigeon fancier  ha ha

it amazes me to see so many yb races from otterburn and surounding areas, when there is an army training camp there,if you have been their you will have seen these fighter planes on exercise, they fly so low and so fast ,you actualy see them first before youhear them. the noise is horendous ,and this goes on every day, sometimes all day,now this does frighten the birds, as a few years ago a freind of mine in kelso, just let his 40 ybs out when woosh bang, these 40 ybs dissapeared, two of these planes almost split the batch these ybs were reported as far as100 200 miles away, when i say reported i mean about 8 aprox, i know this doesnt account for all the yb losses, but its a dangerous area, jimmy

This week like last for the K-Factor (27th Aug), between 1 and 2 all day, so shouldnt have caused any problems with racing.

There was a wee blip on Thursday sort of late morning into early afternoon. The K hit 5, personally (I didnt know this until I've just looked for the K factor) I had a toss at that time, and they took a fair while longer than usual. It makes you wonder?!

ive only had 3 races with my young birds this season started with 28 and lost more than half after 3 races 12 left,whats stopping theses birds coming home ,radio active waves  in the sky; if so whey do other pigeons make it home on race time ,hawks well we will always get them,darkness young birds iv only raced 2 seasons on it and i can say its been my worst 2 seasons regarding returns maybe im breeding rubbish  but i dont think so , this season i was more than confident with my team of young birds but they feel by the way side ,im getting them them home now 3 weeks later , reported in dornoch 200miles north of me and yorkshire 150 south of me ,i would like to say that in my club im not the only 0ne ,anyone got any ideas to what is happening with our youngbirds surley it cant all be clashing thanks billy

lanarkshire fed up from wetherby150-160 miles saturday 0800 in a west wind

hundreds of birds missing only nine birds in my club home at clock check club in the next village 13/129 guy in larkhall 28/90 on the sunday one guy sent 15ybs that have been to four races and at least 30-40 tosses 2 birds home at 15.30 then not seen a feather

this will kill the pigeon game

my club was at weatherby at the weekend winner doing 1039 vel. nothing else near it rest of the doos in the 800s down to 700 vel.the last two races have been hard ones. never seen so many losses in our club good few hundred birds lost in the last two weeks.more than half of the guys have finished for the season. talking to some of the members today some have lost some good steady birds that have done well for them over the season none seem to be working there way back.

in reply to brunos past post on wing stamping or i.d. ringing. he is spot on, BUT ,JUST TO STOP ANY CONFUSION, THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE IN YOUNG BIRDS,AS IT IS THE OPPOSITE RULE FOR OLD BIRDS. OLD BIRDS CANNOT BE EITHER WING STAMPED OR  ID. RUNG ACCORDING TO S,H,U,   THERE ARE ENGLISH ORGANISATIONS, THAT MAKE O,B, WING STAMPING   COMPULSORY.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG,  JIMMY