direction of training

piggy

To be honest Piggy I don't think training them off the line of flight does any harm at all, gets them prepared to come home from a different direction in case they are blown off course during a race.

We train ours out 180 degrees, we fly from the East, but also work a couple of tosses in from the North and South

Piggy,

I think it would make a difference if you fly widowhood. If you train on the line of flight they will head home straight from the basket wheras if you mess them about they will have to circle to establish a position. If you are a natural or distance flyer, I think it would help them to take them off line on a regular basis.

I'm sure some will disagree, but its only my own opinion. Good luck anyway piggy!!

Agree with Hyacinth, train where you can, preferably round the compass.

Know that it just isn't possible for some, roads & lie of the land etc., and probably near impossible if you don't have your own transport.

Guest slugmonkey

we are racing 2 directions this year north and south most are training 2 teams a few more are not racing from the north and only flying from south and then there is me who is flying both ways I have been training alternate directions north and south this week we flew north I trained twice once north and once south I sent 17, I got 1st through 14th  with 2 others hitting the sheet I used to train in all directions and as the change in direction gets near I will train east and west later, in the season I belive that changing directions makes them think and as late season they are already in condition these tosses just sharpen the mind

Guest slugmonkey

I dont train to get fit only to train brains frequent short tosses from diffrent directions sharpen the birds I train day before race 20 miles on line of flight

I have to agree with Rose. Mike Young from Timsbury told me. "An hours fly into the wind." At the time I couldn't get em to fly round me 'at. Now where ever my Rugby Cement lorry goes, the birds come too. If you want to concentrate on sprints, I think you want to stay on line of flight. Distance birds should go any-where. Mine go all directions and they don't circle. Last year I let 'em go in Swindon, about 60mls

It was misty so I waited till I finished my delivery. Then let em go as the mist had started to clear. Came out of the town to find thick fog, and thought I'd loose 'em. Just over an hour later my wife rang to say my son had just got em in. I was only half way. TRAIN THEM ALL POINTS OF THE COMPASS