In hot weather do you change your system?

TheSaddler

With the hot weather in the UK this week I have noticed a reduction in the exercise times of my widowhood cocks. The hens are still exercising well though (50 mins each time at 6.00 am and 6.00pm). The cocks are exercised from 7-8 and 5-6.

Have other fanciers experienced any reduction in exercise times this week?

Do you prepare you birds differently for a hot race? For example electrolytes on a friday?  

i used to find that the widowhood cocks ate less at this time of the year and found that when i increased the peanuts they ate these, and drunk more [getting in to the distance now]  im not sure about putting anything in the water on friday is a good thing as they may drink less,  would be interested in other opinions

I think it was Dr. Wim Peters of South Africa who posted on the internet that giving electrolites to the birds on Friday created more harm than good.  I'm not sure of what his explanation was but I will try and find out.

One thing that I was advised on was to hummingbird feeder to the drinking water on Friday to put extra glocose into the pigeons.

When the weather is going to be hot and it gets up to the 90's here in central Oregon during Young bird race season, I take the drinkers out of the loft the last feeding befoe shipping the birds Friday, I put new pickstones in when I put the food down.  There is a high salt content in the pick pots.  when the birds have finished eating and picking I then put the drinker back in and find that the birds take on board far more water.

my birds have dropped of flying this week due to the heat

i would normaly flag them for 1 hour morn and tea time this week only got 40 mins before wanting to get down so i leave the doors open another 20 mins but they still clapping up and down.

when its hot i give them paddy rice 2 hours before they are basketed but i have only done this with ybs.

i will try it with obs today cos its burning hot.

tomo

Saddler

In this kind of heat you have to adapt yourself accordingly.

At 7pm last night it was 28 degrees in Rugeley...   I let our cocks out at 8:20pm last night when it had cooled & they ripped the place to pieces.  In the morning they didn't wanna know - too hot for 'em so they just had "open hole" instead

As for the water - nowt but clean water.  You gotta ensure they take the maximum amount on board 'cos they'll need it

Saddler,

Quite an old " trick" in weather as hot as is forecast on Saturday, was to feed all the widow cocks a handfull of rice at dinner time, remove the drinker and re-place an hour before basketing, easily digested, light and soaks up water.

Saddler,

Quite an old " trick" in weather as hot as is forecast on Saturday, was to feed all the widow cocks a handfull of rice at dinner time, remove the drinker and re-place an hour before basketing, easily digested, light and soaks up water.

First time I read the use for rice like that. Will try it on Friday as our races are fast and hot at the moment.

Guest Silverwings

Take the seeds ou tof the mixture, and soak the grain in water 24 hours before you feed ,helps the digestion and stops the dehydration overnight in the panniers ....ray