pairs

westy

i have paired up and i have put the cocks in there original boxes if they were paired last year but i have re paired them up and the hens keep traveling bck to there old box even thou the have paired up to a new cock what shall i do i have them locked up ontil they go back to there box.

thats right westy, just keep letting a pair or two out , then change to another couple of pair , theyll soon get used to their boxes , one thing to watch is maybe a yearling cock trying to claim 2 boxes , then fighting like mad, they can take a right hammering and can knock them right off , same as your pairs locked in the boxes , put a half brick in the corner so that the hen can jump on , as sometimes youll get a vicious cock try and tear lumps out them, but just by keeping your eye on them as you are , should hopefully be ok ,,,best of luck :) :) :)

Before I stated using individual pens I found the easiest thing for me to do was to put the cock birds in the loft a week before so they could pick their own boxes.  Then when all cocks have their own box I locked the hens in with the cock bird for 3 or 4 days and then as was said earlier I release the pairs at different times over the next couple days. Cocks will drive those hens to their boxes.   Good luck.  Ed

thats right westy, just keep letting a pair or two out , then change to another couple of pair , theyll soon get used to their boxes , one thing to watch is maybe a yearling cock trying to claim 2 boxes , then fighting like mad, they can take a right hammering and can knock them right off , same as your pairs locked in the boxes , put a half brick in the corner so that the hen can jump on , as sometimes youll get a vicious cock try and tear lumps out them, but just by keeping your eye on them as you are , should hopefully be ok ,,,best of luck :) :) :)

it happend yesterday when i was at school a 06 cock was beat up by an 05 cock and the 05 cock also beat up an 04 cock all 3 the same breed last year the 05 cock nealy killed my west of england tumbler but all is fine now all at theire own boxes and getting on well.

it happend yesterday when i was at school a 06 cock was beat up by an 05 cock and the 05 cock also beat up an 04 cock all 3 the same breed last year the 05 cock nealy killed my west of england tumbler but all is fine now all at theire own boxes and getting on well.

Westy.  It served that WOE right to get his butt kicked for being in with the good birds.   Ed ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i have 16 pairs.  i spend about 1 hour while they are treading, letting one pair out at a time.  i have a broom handle that i use after they tread.  they have learned that the only safe spot from the handle is in thier nestbox.  takes about three or four times for them to learn that.  anyways after a pairs lay both their eggs i let them out with any others that have laid their eggs.  this cuts down on my time.  today i was able to let out 12 pairs at once to get some excersise then got them all back in to let out the other four pairs one at a time.  

even after all that i do have one or two pairs i keep locked up due to their obsession of trying to take over other nest boxes.  last year i had a hurt cock and a couple of damaged eggs and babies.

i cant wait to get my indivdual pens... going to be so nice to just put the birds in there and not have to worry about them needing to stretch their wings!

when the babies are almost fully feathered i lock the parents back up.  Then i take the babies out and put them on the ground.  usually i have a bird or two in the loft that will feed babies on the ground.  the babies learn to huddle with other babies and eat by watching eachother and whatever grownup i have with them.  personally, i think the babies that are on the ground for a week with eachother bond better.  also this way i dont have to worry about babies in teh nest while the parents are trying to lay eggs.

well i got a bit long winded... good luck!

symbro