how many to breed

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Birdman, breed more every year to counteract the losses.

Time, I believe, that you and countless others stood back and had a good look at ypourselves, and think why this is so. Outside of 'Flyaway, I think 30 is more than enough to fly both routes and have too many at seasons end.

Probably you are into incest regards the breeding of your pigeons,  prehaps it's just a couple or even one line only that produces anything any good and the rest are 'Junk' as you say... and if your losses are high, then like many others, I'm afrraid you hit the nail on the head 'Junk'! Look at the Opposition. If, like our fed, it is the smal team flyer excelling year in and year out. Bet yours is got a fair % of them too. Enough which ever way thouh and what you are prepared to accept. Your money, time and ezpense so no need for others to poke a nose it I guess.

Dont know if you are having a pop (me) this is possibly the wrong thread to discuss loft locations i was just making point that maybe if you fly into a bad area you may have to breed more than you would like to but if you are having a pop i flew into both thease area,s and i have had some sucsess in all the area,s ive flew in Dooman was just a mame i chose a number of years ago so that pigeon fanciers might relate to it on  non pigeon sites.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have it easy.

Most roller guys breed at least fifty a year as I do. From them I will get 10-12 that are suitable to keep for another season. A lot of flyers have problems with preds taking vast numbers of birds. With us it is a numbers game. My keeper  percentage is right at 20 percent. Not bad considering.

yits

the average size of a young bird section is about 10x6x7 high at front slooping to 6 at the back ,(well my loft anyway) so lenghtx depthxheight=cubic feet 420 i think ,sufficient room for 40 youngsters which works out at 10.5 cubic foot per bird which gives them plenty of air space and should keep the birds healthy plenty of air space for them ,if you work out the size of your own loft with the above dimensions you should be able to determione the number of young birds that will suit your own loft as we all know with youngsters they must have plenty of fresh clean air ,and no overcrowding

Why would anyone need to race 50 old birds? look at your results do any more than 10 finish in the top 3 places regular? if not why are you feeding them? Why do you have so many stock birds? if a pair of birds are not breeding you winners why are they in your stock loft? I do not care how much it cost or what sort of pedigree it has if it does not breed winners I bin it. Racers must win and stock must breed them.

Pigeonscout you ever had a bird that was just a decent flyer as a YB but in OB's excelled?  Some birds take much longer to mature and some people prefer to give them every chance they can until they've proven they won't ever do anything.  So by your thinking if you don't have a bird that produces winners within the first round of it being in the stock loft you dispose of it?  You must either have no pigeons or all amazing pigeons.

Yep Birdman, breed more every year to counteract the losses.

Time, I believe, that you and countless others stood back and had a good look at ypourselves, and think why this is so. Outside of 'Flyaway, I think 30 is more than enough to fly both routes and have too many at seasons end.

Probably you are into incest regards the breeding of your pigeons,  prehaps it's just a couple or even one line only that produces anything any good and the rest are 'Junk' as you say... and if your losses are high, then like many others, I'm afrraid you hit the nail on the head 'Junk'! Look at the Opposition. If, like our fed, it is the smal team flyer excelling year in and year out. Bet yours is got a fair % of them too. Enough which ever way thouh and what you are prepared to accept. Your money, time and ezpense so no need for others to poke a nose it I guess.

I think you should do a little research before you assume everywhere is the same as the area you fly in.  How do you explain 4+ different one loft/futurity races here in California(also on the coast) having less than 2% returns from each race?  Example: 250 birds were sent to the Late Hatch Classic(www.latehatchclassic.com) here by me and only 5 birds returning on the day with another 15 or so total over the next week.  Some of the best breeders around the country sent birds to the race, according to you they all must be junk though....

If a bird has not been in the first 3 more than 3 times or bred me a winner by the time it is two yes I bin it. It will have had a young bird season and two old bird season 30 races and it will have been paired to 4 different hens so in my book I have give it every chance.

2nd I have birds but no 3 year olds that have not won or bred me a winner.

A top uk fancier once said if you have not got a yearling that can beat a 3 year old your in trouble.

Think your number of young birds must be based on your nest box accomodation. If your nest boxes are all full at the beginning of the season and you breed say 50 youngsters you must be expecting to either lose 50 birds racing this year, or be planning to build a new loft at the end of this year to house them.

Personally, I don't breed pigeons to lose them. Like most I do lose them but if I was regularly losing them in such large numbers I'd be trying to get to the bottom of it. NW post makes sad reading. One thing that seems strange tho is weather breaking down on a regular basis after the race is off. Would have thought if weather is forecast to worsen during day stopping birds getting home, race should be postponed?

"Dont know if you are having a pop (me)"

believe it or not Frank just noticed this post i can assure no "pop" intended was actually agreeing with you 100% about flying into the extreme west of the country. Also "the dooman" bit was aimed at some "scribes" who pontificate all the time but don't actually send a doo anywhere. Also my hopeless attempt at a pun at the end - " i'm a dooman(not frank) was just that.

Once again no pop intended, all the best Frank.

it was'nt late a night when I posted it by any chance? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem me  thaught i had upset you maybe in a former life lol i have only got admiration for fanciers in the west of Scotland some of the best birds in scotland but the fanciers seam to have developed a complex about the distance races you wont win if you dont enter the great Jimmy Paterson Stevenson once told me

If a bird has not been in the first 3 more than 3 times or bred me a winner by the time it is two yes I bin it. It will have had a young bird season and two old bird season 30 races and it will have been paired to 4 different hens so in my book I have give it every chance.

2nd I have birds but no 3 year olds that have not won or bred me a winner.

A top uk fancier once said if you have not got a yearling that can beat a 3 year old your in trouble.

FROM 500 MILES??

sorry pigeon scout,,, i was meaning that if you didnt have a yearling that could beat a 3 year old youd be in trouble ,, i was asking ,,,at 500miles? as a 3 year old is just comming in to form for these races then, for 5 and 600miles, but hard to get a yearling to do this as its still not a mature pigeon. as sammy said in his last post many older birds have scored from this distance, as i had one score from avaranches at 9 years old , but he didnt start winning untill he was 3 years old [then scored every year from 5 and 608mile] the old meally surp 63 28228, some of these wins were in the e, of scot continental club where we were further nw than most others included ushervaux race from nantes when beglin bros of bo,ness won it with high noon, but we hadnt joined the national so just raced in the whole open with the n of england and scot, he still got a prize [he scored 9 times in 6 years ,no gold award then :)]

Jimmy if someone has to breed 100 young birds a year to finish a young bird season I don't think he is breeding the kind of bird that will fly 600 miles when older. To tell a new comer he needs to have 100+ young birds to finish a young bird season is going to put them off right from the start. I have never raced more than 35 young birds and have done very well and they go to 5 250 mile + 3 channel races and at the end I will have 20+ left so why people need to race 100+ I will never know.

Scout I would have agreed with you until I came down here, but if you live between Exmoor and Dartmoor you get decimated by Percy, it really is tough and that's before you start racing!!