Is a pedigree worth anything?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest strapper

there are many fanciers who state they dont trust pedigree,s but ask for one when buying?.

i think its unfair to tar every seller with the same brush when it comes to pedigrees.

there are many fanciers who state they dont trust pedigree,s but ask for one when buying?.

i think its unfair to tar every seller with the same brush when it comes to pedigrees.

I don't think anyone is tarring anyone with the same brush Paul, there are good sellers and there are no doubt bad ones.  What do you call a good seller?

Guest slugmonkey

anyone buying sight unseen birds off the net is asking for trouble

you should throughly research the loft you are buying from and ALL the claims they make we have a new seller in our club and I am interested to see what he will be selling at the end of this year

one thing to look for when buying birds from one of these guys is who is beating them consistently, some of the BEST BIRDS I have owned are from guys who you never heard of

A few years ago there was an article in BHW about a guy who had no money to buy any stock so he caught a few strays and won with some of them, his eye must of been in checking out these birds.

As I keep fancy pigeons we have to pick winners by eye but it is in the hand which gives a real test, one of the main problems are feather faults like poor cover in the secondary flights and poor balance.

Paying a lot of money for any bird is not always the best thing some of the best come from buddys that will not do you down, the late Bill Hughes of Wigan never sold a pigeon in his life a gaint in the Exhibition Roller world.

He never was upset if he lost and always wished the winner well, a true gent his word was true as was his life he is missed but not forgotten.

Guest gladdo

i think pedigrees are a waste but its nice to have them so you can look at pedigree after the bird does something or breeds something useful for you ...id say to have its a must but i would not buy a bird because of ped but if first of all i fancy a bird then i have look at ped if decent then i buy !!!! just my personal view on this but im only year in this game !!!!!! rather look at birds first before peds !!!! mikey

Guest numpty01

i have said it before in a loft full birds everyfancier see.s one they want and we are all diffrent ped is naither here nor there

Guest Owen

Pedigees are worth a great deal to the man who sensibly keeps records of what his birds are doing. To a buyer they are useless. Most of the time they are used to enable the seller to sell the bird. Usually, they will tell you all about the relations of the bird but there is no apology for the fact that the bird in question has not done anything. In the case of adult birds the only record worth anything are the prize cards the bird has won. In the case of young birds a photocopy of the prize cards won by the parents would be ideal. More often than not non-winning pigeons breed non-winning pigeons. Before anyone jumps on me, there are cases were non-winning birds do breed winners. But if it were possible to work out how often that happens, I think you find that it one heck of a gamble. My other criticism of the pedigree is the fact that it promotes the idea of strains of pigeons when in fact it is a myth. Families maybe, but not strains, for goodness sake. Buying birds that have done nothing is always a gamble, but buying birds that are not bred from birds that have won is an even bigger gamble. These days people have become desperate because it is so difficult to obtain good birds. So they breed more and more pigeons in the hope that they may have a better chance if they keep more birds. And yes it does work sometimes but not very often. In a good many cases the good bird is depended upon to gain the results so deperately needed. Then it is flogged to death and finally lost. So it is back to the magic roundabout again. Another wave of hopefulls are produced to continue with the gamble. Probably the most difficult thing to do in pigeon racing is to find good birds. There are plenty of birds but good birds are few and far between. And I don't know about you, but I certainly do not want to keep pigeons as pets  

HAVING READ SOME OF THE VIEWS ON PEDIGREES I AM DISSAPPOINTED THAT NO ONE HAS REMARKED THAT THE BEST PEDIGREE IS THE BASKET

I think some people have mentioned, and as much as I agree that the basket tells most this was about how people use pedigrees to enhance the sale of thier birds and whether that pedigree is actually worth anything.  

2 years ago a chap in South Wales asked me for a proven breeder of 600 mile pigeons, i picked him a 1997 dark pied cock that was reasonably well bred, he said to me that it was old and the pedigree stated he was a g-son of 1st Nat and he only dealt in direct children.

I told him that a proven bird would have to be older and as for pedigree this pigeon had bred at least 10 long distance prize winners up to 10,000b i.e 125th Nat 201st Nat etc. I charged him £150 for the bird.

I phoned him a year later to say a child had been 3rd Nat Limoges 580 miles from 13,030b, he said he wasnt suprised as the cock had bred some real crackers, to which i replied "see some pigeons write there own pedigree"

Stuart

Guest Hjaltland
There are some pedigrees worth believing. There ones you see in complete clearance sales with the prize cards attached. You then have the cross reference back to the ring number.

The ones I read in the press telling me that it's out of this that and the other thing are not unsually very reliable. Besides, the only birds worth breeding from are the actual bird who did the job. In human terms, how many brothers have the same talents, how many sons are as good as the father. We are on a hiding to nothing, because we don't want good performances we want the best. There are plenty of good pigeons who will come home, but and it's a big "BUT" how many of them are able to win races against the numbers we all compete against?

I have a policy of only breeding from winners and nothing else. And the pedigees I have, are written by me for me. And they are deadly accurate, there would'nt be much point in fooling myself, now would there?

That's it, let the basket sort out the pedigrees.

Having the best pedigree on paper is no guarantee that the bird is going to do the job either in the clock or in the stock loft. Suck it and see, as the bishop said to the actress.

Have fun,

Kenny