best canker treatment ...

Guest gladdo

Why would you want to treat a YB full of canker? OB maybe but not a YB, wasting your time and money.

Best treatment??? have a good loft management system, they won't get it then.

I agree wholeheartedly with you.  However, the problems arise when the birds are in the race baskets, especially holdovers, and for long distance International races.  Humid overcrowded conditions, drinking from the same troughs as infected birds!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any treatments you use this time of the year should be in tablet form. Pigeons do not drink much now and they will drink even less if they pick up the tast of anything in the water. Better to use tablets.

Metrodizional tablets - 1/2 tablet per bird administered on an empty crop. I have seen ybs with throat full of canker and after a 1/2 tablet was crushed and administered 24 hrs later the throat was completly clear. I treat twice a year with these and never had problems. £3.50 per 21 tablets available from your local vet. I have tried many treatments for canker and this had the best results by far.

totally agree, never seen these fail yet.

Guest kevin b
Any treatments you use this time of the year should be in tablet form. Pigeons do not drink much now and they will drink even less if they pick up the tast of anything in the water. Better to use tablets.

Have to agree, using soluble medication is at best hit and miss if you want all your birds treated the same way a tablet is the only way, at least then you know they have got the dose, its a pain but its worth it I think.

Metrodizional tablets - 1/2 tablet per bird administered on an empty crop. I have seen ybs with throat full of canker and after a 1/2 tablet was crushed and administered 24 hrs later the throat was completly clear. I treat twice a year with these and never had problems. £3.50 per 21 tablets available from your local vet. I have tried many treatments for canker and this had the best results by far.

the best treatment by far for canker especially wet crop canker

FLAGYL I WAS JUST WONDERING HAS ANYONE THIS THE TABLETS ITS SAYS THE USE 1/4 PER PIGEON DOES THAT MEAN YB'S TOO WHEN YB'S R REMOVED FROM PARENTS 30-40 DAYS OLD

i wouldnt  be keen on treating yb,s at that age thomas, as flagyl is a cure, not a preventative,, hard as it may seem, i believe in survival of the fittest especially at this age,, and only strong robust yb,s , without treatment [or so-called ,,propped up yb,s] should be in the yb loft,, only my opinion,, good luck anyway :)

flagyll i was told aswell jimmy

yip, same as me rob :),, but i think most dont know its an anti-biotic :),,,,,i had this on a drip, in the hosp, when i had septic arthritis, when i saw the drip,, and the name on it,i ,thought i had canker ;D ;D ;D [was nearly asking the doc for a take away ;D ;D ;D],, just for the birds lol

yip, same as me rob :),, but i think most dont know its an anti-biotic :),,,,,i had this on a drip, in the hosp, when i had septic arthritis, when i saw the drip,, and the name on it,i ,thought i had canker ;D ;D ;D [was nearly asking the doc for a take away ;D ;D ;D],, just for the birds lol

wonder if it work on birds

• 1 month later...