heavy moult/buttermilk

ron123

thats what iam thinking about jimmy what about the old birds that are nearly through the moult will it harm they and how many days in the drinker??

i put it in the drinker almost every day,maybe missing the odd day [really because ive forgot or run out lol] seems to do the birds no harm, even the old birds have that silky plyable [if thats the word]  feathering ,rather than that dry sort of feathering  :)

Guest Freebird

Dont want to spoil the party but I have birds bred in may now throwing three flight ( catch up ) without buttermilk. Just good grub and fresh water. Not knocking it but just giving facts. Why try to speed up, just let nature take it's cource. p.s. I do not use light in loft although I do have them for emergency.

Why not just let them moult on their own??  

if they are latter bred or left on darkness to long they may not moult the end flights which will not benefit them next year.

Also there is a chance that when they throw there 1st flight next year they will also throw the next unmoulted baby flight preventing them from being raced.

They moult the primary flight from shortest to longest, going away from the body and when they get to the last three longest flights the birds wing may be sore and they won't want to fly as much which is why people don't want birds at that stage in the moult during racing.

if they are latter bred or left on darkness to long they may not moult the end flights which will not benefit them next year.

Also there is a chance that when they throw there 1st flight next year they will also throw the next unmoulted baby flight preventing them from being raced.

Got you, i still think we mess around with nature too much.  thanks for the info :)

Dont want to spoil the party but I have birds bred in may now throwing three flight ( catch up ) without buttermilk. Just good grub and fresh water. Not knocking it but just giving facts. Why try to speed up, just let nature take it's cource. p.s. I do not use light in loft although I do have them for emergency.

bang on ?