swollen foot

Guest TAMMY_1
Hi,

I have a young bird that has a swollen foot. I have examined the foot and leg but can not find anything obviously wrong with it. Its not the ring leg and though the bird can stand on it, it does not by any means put its full weight on it.

Any one got any ideas?

can u not put it one of those harnesses to keep the weight of it for a bit ?it can still eat and drink in one of them

Guest TAMMY_1
I have a harness to use for broken legs. I guess I could give it a try and see what happens.

well would take the weight off it just now till u see if it is going to settle down a bit can u not try wrapping it in ice for a bit see if that helps take the swelling down, worth a try

I know you said you couldn't see anything wrong with the foot but I remember 1 of mine got really really fine thread wrapped round its foot once and you could hardly see it once the foot had swollen around it.

I know you said you couldn't see anything wrong with the foot but I remember 1 of mine got really really fine thread wrapped round its foot once and you could hardly see it once the foot had swollen around it.
:o i have had this Chrissy , happened with my white garden pigeons , had one lose a toe as a result . i beleive it had been caught and possibly used as a trapper ??  returned home to me , and didnt venture far again .                      andy

Guest TAMMY_1
:o i have had this Chrissy , happened with my white garden pigeons , had one lose a toe as a result . i beleive it had been caught and possibly used as a trapper ??  returned home to me , and didnt venture far again .                      andy

why , could it not walk properly andy ;D

Guest TAMMY_1
Hi,

I have a young bird that has a swollen foot. I have examined the foot and leg but can not find anything obviously wrong with it. Its not the ring leg and though the bird can stand on it, it does not by any means put its full weight on it.

Any one got any ideas?

Did you try putting some ice on it ? or did you try the harness to take the weight of its foot. ?

Look at the colour of the swollen foot too; angry red usually means that it is imflamed, and there is infection there. Any sign of any breaks in the skin? Peckedhen had something similar a while back which turned out to be bumblefoot.

Guest TAMMY_1
Look at the colour of the swollen foot too; angry red usually means that it is imflamed, and there is infection there. Any sign of any breaks in the skin? Peckedhen had something similar a while back which turned out to be bumblefoot.

are we talking about pigeons here bruno or bees ? ;D

are we talking about pigeons here bruno or bees ? ;D

Sounds 'corny' I know, bit it's birds rather than bees Tam.

The end result of untreated bumblefoot is those toeless, stumpy-footed feral pigeons hobbling about town centres.

It is red and hot to touch. There are no breaks in the skin. What is the cure for bumblefoot?

It is red and hot to touch. There are no breaks in the skin. What is the cure for bumblefoot?

I've pm'd Peckedhen and asked her to come on this thread. Bumblefoot is a bacterial infection, she has experience of treating it and will be able to help.

Garlic is an anti-inflammatory and you could add it to the bird's drinking water, may take time to kick-in tho as the bird has been ailing for a while.

Yes, one of mine had Bumblefoot -an experienced rehabber confirmed it.

It is apparently caused by friction initially. The foot was painful, inflamed and the pads on the toes very swollen, rather than the actual foot. It was treated with Baytril but I'm afraid I can't remember the dose. The bird made a full recovery, though the pads still look enlarged they are not sore or inflamed.

Yes, one of mine had Bumblefoot -an experienced rehabber confirmed it.

It is apparently caused by friction initially. The foot was painful, inflamed and the pads on the toes very swollen, rather than the actual foot. It was treated with Baytril but I'm afraid I can't remember the dose. The bird made a full recovery, though the pads still look enlarged they are not sore or inflamed.

Isn't baytril difficult to get hold of?