Loosening rings

pj1001

Hi all,

I local fancier was on the phone to me last night asking if I knew anyway to loosen rings on old birds that had clogged up due to dead skin etc between the ring and the birds leg. As I have had this problem also with a few old birds in tha past and had to end up cutting the rings of them, I thought I would post his question on the site and see if anyone had any suggestions to overcome this problem.

Many thanks for all suggestions in advance.

Regards

PJ

Guest j.bamling

i used to get this every year with the Janssens they had legs like turkeys  ;D  i used to get the muck and scale out of the rings with a very small pen knife  but be very carefull a safer option would be the cocktail stick and take your time  then dip the  the ring with some household oil or baby oil and turn the ring for a couple of minutes i used to check them in about a month sometimes you had to do them again

try dipping the leg into cold water for a spell pj this will take any swelling out the way and enable you to pour baby oil into it and move the ring about get this quite a bit with the Dordin pigeons  ;)

I've had to do all this with a few of my birds,with my blue white flight delbar cock eventually I had no choice but to cut the ring off for humane reasons.Admittedly he is a big pigeon,he had a few wins behind him and now I can't show him anymore as he has no ring.I have complained about the diameter of the rings to the RPRA and they aren't interested,it is a problem with the larger heavier boned pigeons.

Thanks everyone for your replies. The pigeon in question is an old 98 Braspenning cock that a friend of mine bought a couple of years ago. I don't think behind the ring has been cleared since the cock was born and this has added to complications. I tried a little olive oil and a cocktail stick tonight and it seems to have dislodged some of the old dead skin etc behind his leg. We will try it again tomorrow night also and see how things go.

Again many thanks for everyones help.

PJ

Guest beautyhomer
Well im very sure they used to when i used to be NPA member sure there is someone on here that might know perhaps RPRA should think about doing different size ring seen quite a few birds that rings look really tight on them

Six sizes,A through to F. Approx 7mm->14mm