flights

CHUNK73

hi all wondering if some one could help me. 1 of my pigeons has grown its last flights they have got half way then broken of just leaving a stump its like it just went dead but there was plenty of blood in stump this is both its last flights does anyone know why this has happened cheers lee

Guest slugmonkey

if they are weakened they will break easily I would give peas, and also maybe some oyster shell grit as a little calcium cant hurt you might also give a product called " Winsmore " this helps feather quailty something else might be a little unflavored geletain on occasion as when fingernails are weak they will perscribe this

would they just snap like that  

i would very much doubt they would snap they would more likley be deformed , but an underlining illness could be robbing the protein by the immune system trying to repair itself

Guest slugmonkey

have you been medicating lately

when birds are stressed or improperly nourished you can see it on the feather you will see mis shaped flights and a band of lighter color on the wing

Guest slugmonkey

some more exotic causes might be mites or a fungus

although if mites this bad I would think they would be visible

the fungus would need some moisture    are they dry ??

are you noticing any scale or discharge in the area ??

Guest Freebird
not often you see a wild bird sat by a warm fire artifical heats not benificial to pigeons at all , but benifical to bacterias and other ailments  ;)

See plenty sitting on chimney flues etc. Course the scottish birds are no daft(evil)

Seriously though if birds get accustomed to artificial heat source ( beleive me they will love it ) then a power cut or malfunction and they are in serious trouble I think. Better keeping them tough. A bit like the kids today with central heating etc. always getting colds etc and not going out as much. Remember when there was frost like big ferns on the INSIDE of our bedroom windows. Ah! the good old days.

See plenty sitting on chimney flues etc. Course the scottish birds are no daft(evil)

Seriously though if birds get accustomed to artificial heat source ( beleive me they will love it ) then a power cut or malfunction and they are in serious trouble I think. Better keeping them tough. A bit like the kids today with central heating etc. always getting colds etc and not going out as much. Remember when there was frost like big ferns on the INSIDE of our bedroom windows. Ah! the good old days.

by you must be older than father time ;)

thanks for reply guys they have plenty of protein and grit think it might be what old yellow said wormers i thought it was that myself the flight got so far up and just went thin and broke off i wont do that again

i never treat during winter til birds have completed moult and first flyte is up , i often canker when birds are sat as pairing can make it flair up ;)