now some may think

its only fantails

BUT THE CARE AND WELL-BEING OF OUR BIRDS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US

as is the care of your racers

so please just don't read this and move on

post your thoughts

thanks micko

Guest spin cycle

if you keep them for fun i'm guessing you want them to be fairly tame..so perhaps hopper feed a basic ration and handfeed titbits. or you could experiment until you find a system that suits you and the birds :)

we tend to feed as much as they want till a few start to move away to the drinker.or start to mess about

spot on

measure the feed you put out. when as above lift feed tray

measure whats left then you know how mutch to feed without them wasting any

(thats what i do with racers)

dave

Feeding would also depend on wether they fly out or not!

If they fly out you may want to give them a light feed in the morning and there main feed when you get the birds in from excercise.

I would agree with hopper feed until 1st bird goes to drink then remove the hopper.

Phil

Feeding fancy pigeons is quite different from what is required for racing pigeons. The advice to feed them by hand twice a day with a well-rounded mix (with barley as mentioned above} on a large clean tray for about 1-20 minutes -- or until five or six go for water -- is good advice. Buy human grade raw Spanish peanuts (small) and keep them in the freezer. Take out a handful every day to thaw out, and give them as treats. Once they are used to the peanuts they will go mad for them and they are a great aid in taming the birds. Feeding with a hopper is a time-saver, but unless you empty it each afternoon it is a source for mouse and rat infestation, bringing Paratyphoid.

• 2 months later...

I feed my widowers in individual pots. They get their feed before they are sent out for exercise. As much as they want. I shut them out for 45min to 1hr and do'nt show myself. While they are out I clean up and empty the feed pots.

When I am ready for them to come in, I place two peanuts into the closed section of their boxes, open the door, and in they come. The one problem I have is that some crafty devils will try to steal the peanuts from the ones that are a bit slow to go up to their boxes.

I never have trouble with trapping these days and I find that even when the people next door are having a barbi the birds are OK. Peanuts are introduced to the birds when they are young.

I feed both dogs and pigeons in much the same way. The feed goes down. I leave it down for 5 or 6 min and then it is picked up. Those who have not eaten will soon learn what to do. To make sure that I am fair to everybody, I make sure that there is plenty of trough space and feed. Naturally, I am careful about this technique where very young pigeons are concerned.

If I had fancy pigeons I would use the same idea even if their diet was different.

Dovescots' wife appears to be the business with Doves as a speciality and looking at her stock the other day I'd say she's one to take advice from.  Can't remember her name here though so might be good to send him a p.m asking.  

Chickadee aka Carol.  :) :)

i feed my birds once a day between 2-4 pm when they are called in after excercise and  i then let them eat as much as they want   i feed them this way as it means that i have  control over them cos they are hungry again by 2-4pm the next day when they go out so they can be called into the loft within minutes  i can be called into work at short notice and when it happens i want to have my birds safely locked up in the loft not sat on my house roof at the mercy of the hawks   i hope this helps you micko?      debbie  :)